Almost £42 for a quiche lorraine!

9 hours ago, Straight8 said:

Since  99% of Thais will not pay that much, they are taking the p!$$ out of the stupid farang who think would pay a ridiculous amount for a slice of egg/beacon/pastry

Yes, sheer madness.

I was in Villa Market in Second Road Pattaya yesterday. There was only one other farang customer in the time I was there. the staff far outnumbered us.

Their prices were app 30-50% dearer than Lazada, ie for Bisto gravy and tins of corn beef amongst others.

Why they are still in business I do not know, the prices were that bad I left without buying anything.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You should have checked to see whether it was imported before being shocked by £6.76 if you're that concerned about a few baht for a non-Thai food item!   Foie gras is a bit pricey per portion here also.

Why? What difference would that have made? £42 for a quiche is very expensive. Imported or not.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, RayWright said:

Big-C THB400 all in, get 6 slices, and the cooking instructions are in French, so "Creme de la Menthe" to quote D Trotter of Peckham. 

Okay, admittedly it's frozen.

You can't successfully freeze a quiche. 

9 hours ago, redwood1 said:

I bet about 80-90% of that Hi-so way over priced special deli food in the supermarkets gets binned.....I NEVER see anyone buying it.....

It certainly doesn't get binned there is usually an arrangement with a local trader to take it a very reduced prices.

9 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

Imported foods in general do seem to have gone up considerably here, but 290 baht a slice is just ridiculous?

It is only ridiculous if you pay that price.

If you look at it, then look at the price you can get a good laugh and walk away.

5 hours ago, NextG said:

Indeed, I got a taste for crumbles with custard there. Rhubarb or apple. 

I liked the rice pudding especially if I could get the crunchy bits from the side of the pan.

Ambrosia creamed rice is nice in Thailand, especially cold from the fridge.

4 hours ago, phetphet said:
10 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You should have checked to see whether it was imported before being shocked by £6.76 if you're that concerned about a few baht for a non-Thai food item!   Foie gras is a bit pricey per portion here also.

Why? What difference would that have made?

What difference?   If it was imported it would have made it more expensive than some people think a domestic product should be...that difference

I think they just put all this Hi-so fancy $$$ deli food out just to get people use to seeing expensive prices.....

Hell will freeze over before I drop 500-600-700 baht on 2 trendy little take away deli meals in a cute little package......And I think a vast majority of expats feel the same..

Edited by redwood1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, billd766 said:

I liked the rice pudding especially if I could get the crunchy bits from the side of the pan.

Ambrosia creamed rice is nice in Thailand, especially cold from the fridge.

Tinned food was fine when I was a teenager. Ambrosia creamed rice included ???? Cannot abide it now. Prefer to make it freshly. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Quiche is delicious in our hot climate served at room temp with a delicious salad.

I/we make variations regularly, We're getting a bit of a reputation with our friends for our quiches too ????

If you've got an oven make them. They are one of the easiest recipes known to man. Plenty of recipes available online.

All you need is a quiche baking dish.

A largish mixing bowl (if you make the pastry by hand, or an electric mixer if you have one that makes dough well.

Its a simple basic pie pastry.

Eggs

Cream

Cheese as an additive e.g mild cheddar, change up the flavour and texture with mixed cheeses e.g. Parmesan and Pecorino together is very nice and subtle flavour - my favourite if we decide to use cheese.

and whatever additions to the eggs you want to add e.g bacon or Speck, or just cheaper sliced ham for a traditional styled Loraine recipe.

Or variations with asparagus, zucchini, sliced tomato, spinach, kale, or chard, even sliced olives are nice if soaked so as to be rinsed free of the brine they come in.

• Like 1

Prepared food at Tops isn't exactly known for being inexpensive, though possibly cheaper for some vs at a restaurant.

Their salad bar is something like ฿35 per 100gr, and not too many veggies sell for ฿350 kg, so a nice mark up, especially if you load up on roasted potatoes instead of roasted peppers or asparagus.

On that (off topic) saw asparagus at Makro yesterday, at ฿265 kg ???? which we bought last time, at local wet market for ฿40 kg, and yea, we bought a sh!tload at that price.  Figs, peppers & asparagus in the garden for the obvious reason.

At Tops, stick to the basics or sale items.  You have shopping choices.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

On 5/19/2023 at 7:45 PM, Dmaxdan said:

Quiche Lorraine is French. Therefore, by it's own definition it has to be posh.  

"Quiche Lorraine has origins beginning in the rural Lorraine region of France. While it's considered a French dish, it developed during a time when the Lorraine Region was under German rule. Even the word Quiche comes from the German word kuchen, meaning cake."

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NextG said:

Tinned food was fine when I was a teenager. Ambrosia creamed rice included ???? Cannot abide it now. Prefer to make it freshly. 

Do you have a recipe for that please?

Can it be made with normal rice from the market?

• Like 1

On 5/20/2023 at 3:58 PM, spidermike007 said:

When is the last time you were in a Gourmet market in Bangkok? Some of the prices are downright stupid. These days, you just have to be good at ignoring nonsense. I guess some fools buy this stuff. Not us, hopefully.

I normally draw the line at 140 baht unless it's a shared dish. It is just food.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2023 at 2:34 AM, Smokey and the Bandit said:

How big were the slices?

Yes seriously that is expensive, did you notice where they were imported from?

Not really expensive if you look at the price of a simple cookie or cheese cake in a coffee shop. I’d pay that for a real French fresh quiche Lorraine with a side salad , delicious, 

40 minutes ago, geisha said:

Not really expensive if you look at the price of a simple cookie or cheese cake in a coffee shop. I’d pay that for a real French fresh quiche Lorraine with a side salad , delicious, 

Indeed, one way to avoid any nonsense like this is to not even look at the prices as you shop.

Just load up as you walk around and pay the total when you check out.

The reciept will no doubt be in Thai so you will never know how much each individual item costs and so long as you don't spend more than you can afford - does it really matter how much individual items cost ? ????

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, geisha said:

A coffee shop in a 5 star hotel, maybe?

In Starbucks, which is not cheap, cheesecake 140-160 baht, a cookie 75baht?

"I’d pay that for a real French fresh quiche Lorraine with a side salad , delicious,"

I am sure it is delicious, but is it worth it?

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

I am sure it is delicious, but is it worth it?

That is down to quality of the product and personal taste.

For example. I will not drink cheap whisky but I will happily pay 2,000 baht for a bottle of a decent 10 year old single malt.

However, I will not pay more for a 12, 15, 20 year old single malt. I cannot taste the difference.

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

That is down to quality of the product and personal taste.

For example. I will not drink cheap whisky but I will happily pay 2,000 baht for a bottle of a decent 10 year old single malt.

However, I will not pay more for a 12, 15, 20 year old single malt. I cannot taste the difference.

Yep ... you couldn't give me a slice of quiche for free. And I like eggs, but not a 'watered down' egg pie.   The parts of, taste so much better not mixed together.  Sampled more than a few quiche, and never impressed.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ukrules said:

Indeed, one way to avoid any nonsense like this is to not even look at the prices as you shop.

Just load up as you walk around and pay the total when you check out.

The reciept will no doubt be in Thai so you will never know how much each individual item costs and so long as you don't spend more than you can afford - does it really matter how much individual items cost ? ????

Hey you dont mind if me and my girlfriend go shopping with you....We would be quite happy to use your cart too....lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/19/2023 at 8:48 PM, RayWright said:

Big-C THB400 all in, get 6 slices, and the cooking instructions are in French, so "Creme de la Menthe" to quote D Trotter of Peckham. 

Okay, admittedly it's frozen.

And if you are lucky enough to get the yellow sticker.....good times

23 hours ago, billd766 said:

Do you have a recipe for that please?

Can it be made with normal rice from the market?

I haven’t made it in a long time now, so cannot give you a recipe before I try to make it again. 
I meant that I stopped eating ANY tinned foods and instead make those dishes from scratch. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Yep ... you couldn't give me a slice of quiche for free. And I like eggs, but not a 'watered down' egg pie.   The parts of, taste so much better not mixed together.  Sampled more than a few quiche, and never impressed.

Actually I quite liked Quiche Lorraine as a school dinner, but I suspect the quality will be lacking here.

If you take a look at the ingredients you might understand why a good quality version might be expensive: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/ultimate-quiche-lorraine

I wouldn’t hold out much hope for even the £42 version. Most of the delicatessen foodstuffs here are relatively disappointing. Can knock up much better in my own kitchen. 

• Thumbs Up 2