How do farmers survive in Isaan

soalbundy

Reminds me of life in a certain Med country...90% of land out of production except for olive trees which have been there for generations

Impossible to sell also.

Farming is collapsing for decades now due to low prices and the flight of the young to the cities.

Here in the deep south (rubber country) the average age of a rubber tapper is 40+

This being Thailand of course, land prices are way out of touch with reality.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Celsius said:

How did my ex girlfriend make money with her online business while selling clothes for the loss?

Simple. I was paying for the clothes.

One way of looking at it but since the house in Isaan is in our sons name and my legal wife has transferred the chanode of the house in Chiang Mai to my son (complicated reason why) plus 50% of the farmland is also in my sons name I can't do much else.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I doubt that, I can read Thai and have all the documents, we've been together for 18 years and she is nearly 50, she has no incentive to lie, our main concern is for our sons higher education and his financial well being when I die.

Bored is a state of mind not a physical entity, I've always loved the country life, even in Germany I chose to live in a village instead of Munich despite the longer travelling times, living in London while I was still in the UK was an experience I disliked, even my son's house lies outside of Chiang Mai city. Life in a farming village in Isaan isn't for everyone I'll admit but it suites me.

I've lived in a village in Isaan for 21 years.

That's how I know you are looking for conversation on here and nothing else. Too many anomalies.

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Why would the 30 baht scheme not cover accidents? AFAIK, be it the universal healthcare cover of the SSO, all medic al needs are covered. It is true that the level of care in public hospitals looks spartan by European standards, but I was under the impression that pretty much all conditions are treated. My father-in-law had a heart scare recently, he was rushed to the public hospital in the Amphoe and adequately treated there, then referred to the central hospital of the province for further tests etc. I offered to have him treated at the private hospital instead, but he declined, and I agreed because the private hospital (Ekachon) does not really look any better. My in-laws have life insurance, but no private healthcare insurance. They have been treated for illness and accident in the public system in the past, quite satisfactorily it seems. I remember that my mother-in-law went private on one occasion for some ailment she had, and then declared that it was a waste of money.

As for the economics of farming, it is true that rice farming has become totally unattractive in recent years, to the point on being unsustainable. As they advanced in age, my in-laws have adjusted accordingly. First, they stopped farming on leased land, then they sold the portion of land they could not farm themselves anymore. They diversified (rubber, manioc, sugarcane) and now they only grow rice for their own consumption (and ours…). They also gave up on cattle, but not for economic reasons. Surprisingly enough, my mother-in-law developed a candy-making business that seems amazingly lucrative.

I am not well versed in agro-economics, but it looks to me that Thailand is no different from other countries. Farming beyond subsistence is not attractive anymore, if it ever was. Like elsewhere, global trade suffocates the least-productive. Issaan farming never was particularly competitive, but it was protected by subsidies, tariffs, a ban on foreign seeds etc. Contrary to what happened in Europe among others, Thai farmers never seem to have recognized the value of unionizing, creating cooperatives, captive banks, etc., so that an entire ecosystem of traders and intermediaries capture whatever added value is produced. 

Edited by LogicThai

38 minutes ago, jaideedave said:

The answer to the question may be...have female children and hopefully they will hook up with a foreigner to help things along.When I lived in Issarn I saw several examples of this very thing.

I also saw in the middle of nowhere more than a few quite modern 2 story houses looking newer but no one living there.I asked my wife about these and the standard reply was "lady married to farang" and they live in Hua Hin/Phuket etc. The foreigner didn't want to live there.

In one driveway I saw a newer pick up truck...oh thats for the ladies mom but she don't know how to drive...hmmm mugs game

You may have seen my home I built and moved away from.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, soalbundy said:

I was told that if the fields were left unused the ground tax was even higher and tax had to be payed whether she planted or not.

I hear your frustration, we have some rice fields we  inherited from my wife's father, and we lease then to her uncles because it is not worth  the effort. They give us a little money to cover expenses and some rice .

If you don't want to do that,I have been told that if you don't want to pay higher taxes in your land because it is uncultivated, to plant Bananas. 

Not sure how true it is because I have not tried it myself, but don't you wonder why all these empty lots around town have banana trees in them? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Why don’t Foreigner-Thai couples ever build modest homes to fit into the rest of the community?

Maybe they want to stand out as special in some way, or better then others???

Or pride, trying to buy respect??

Good point. Exactly what we did. 

Build what you need to live in. Houses in villages have no sell on value. It's a home. Not an investment.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Why don’t Foreigner-Thai couples ever build modest homes to fit into the rest of the community?

Both my houses are western style bungalows, hardly living the life of lords of the manor.

45 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

I agree with your comments on health care.

Farming? Can be done well and money can be made with forward planning and not getting sucked into debt.

My father in law always saves seed from the previous year's crop. That saves a lot. He does not use fertilizer. He uses eco methods. Ducks, a chicken coop above a lake full of fish. Channels from the lake for the fish to swim in the rice fields. Easily makes enough enrichment for the rice.

Minimal debt means no need to sell the rice at the first opportunity. Save it for when the price goes up. Sell milled rice to the locals when they've run out. 

He's not making loads of money but from 10 rai he has enough to eat and enough to sell to keep him going with food, bills and some baht for a gamble every now and then. He doesn't drink or smoke.

If someone says they can't make money on 230 rai they are either making serial mistakes or keeping the profits secret.

You can make a small profit but its not enough to live off all year round. We even stopped using chemical fertilizer and started using the village self made fertilizer from rice husks and chicken poo which was much cheaper but the yields were lower. Once we took about 15 sacks of jasmine rice to Chiang Mai by train and sold them for 25 Baht a kilo privately, the government was giving us 12 Baht which was good by normal standards, production costs are around 6 Baht a kilo so when you get 8 to 10 Baht a kilo you aren't doing well.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I hear your frustration, we have some rice fields we  inherited from my wife's father, and we lease then to her uncles because it is not worth  the effort. They give us a little money to cover expenses and some rice .

If you don't want to do that,I have been told that if you don't want to pay higher taxes in your land because it is uncultivated, to plant Bananas. 

Not sure how true it is because I have not tried it myself, but don't you wonder why all these empty lots around town have banana trees in them? 

Yes plenty of banana plots in our area. I wanted to try grapes but the soil isn't right and you would have to be on guard day and night.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I agree with most of what you have written but the universal health care doesn't include accidents.

This is most surprising. How could that be? All public hospitals have an ER ward, where you see an endless stream of patients who hurt themselves in a variety of ways, the largest proportion being from road accidents. Surely, the universal healthcare covers that too? I am under the SSO, which is different from the Universal scheme, but there is no mention whatsoever of accidents not being covered.

I am not opposed to private healthcare insurance. In fact, I had quite a deep look into private insurance schemes in Thailand, and I found that the schemes are on the whole quite unattractive. There are many exceptions, limits, and overall the value for money is pretty poor. I am surprised that so many Thai people buy such poor value schemes. It may be a status thing, or maybe they simply do not want to queue for hours in a public hospital?

For myself, in addition to SSO, that I never actually use, I have an international private healthcare insurance that provides extensive coverage worldwide, including Thailand. It only covers in-patient care, and it has quite a hefty excess to keep the premium at a reasonable level, and for whatever small health issue, I self-insure and pay for private care whenever needed (although I could use SSO, I suppose).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

You can make a small profit but its not enough to live off all year round. We even stopped using chemical fertilizer and started using the village self made fertilizer from rice husks and chicken poo which was much cheaper but the yields were lower. Once we took about 15 sacks of jasmine rice to Chiang Mai by train and sold them for 25 Baht a kilo privately, the government was giving us 12 Baht which was good by normal standards, production costs are around 6 Baht a kilo so when you get 8 to 10 Baht a kilo you aren't doing well.

Your figures are so far out its laughable. Someone is having you over a barrel.

Also, 30bt scheme in hospitals covers everything. Even accidents.

If your accident happens to be a motoring accident, you also have Por Ror Bor insurance.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

From what I see it's usually older well off farang who has the cash and he's in love with a much younger woman.It usually doesn't click in until its too late.

Ask me how I know...

• Like 1