What do you believe happens to you when you die?

15 minutes ago, bignok said:

But you won't remember the last life.

There are some well documented cases of mostly young children who have memories of being someone else in a past life, not Babe Ruth, but a little known person and the memories then check out... the few accounts I have seen are pretty credible. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, bignok said:

Delusional to think your views are facts when unsupported by evidence.

Evidence?  ALL evidence suggests you get one shot at existence....and then....a return to eternal nothingness. There is a sum total of zero evidence that there is any other end. There's just wishful thinking by some.

You are your neurons and synapses and charged ions floating across the synapse. Your 'consciousness' exists only so long as all the parts are together and working in unison. Once they stop functioning, all that your were is gone for eternity. If I take the circuit boards out of my computer, then sandpaper the hard drive, nothing I stored on the machine is retrievable. Same with consciousness. It ceases to exist, because the physical package that it was is destroyed.

That makes this brief period of existence so precious.

I suppose some people are comforted thinking that even a person suffering dementia or Alzheimers, who has essentially disappeared---or the 'personality' they had disappears, before the other organs of the body cease to function---all of a sudden becomes cognizant and all-knowing in the instant of death, then comes back as a stand-up comedian or cockroach or amoeba, albeit with no 'memory' of the women he schtupped during his last iteration or what he had for breakfast last Tuesday.

Edited by Walker88

2 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Evidence?  ALL evidence suggests you get one shot at existence....and then....a return to eternal nothingness. There is a sum total of zero evidence that there is any other end. There's just wishful thinking by some.

You are your neurons and synapses and charged ions floating across the synapse. Your 'consciousness' exists only so long as all the parts are together and working in unison. Once they stop functioning, all that your were is gone for eternity. If I take the circuit boards out of my computer, then sandpaper the hard drive, nothing I stored on the machine is retrievable. Same with consciousness. It ceases to exist, because the physical package that it was is destroyed.

That makes this brief period of existence so precious.

I suppose some people are comforted thinking that even a person suffering dementia or Alzheimers, who has essentially disappeared---or the 'personality' they had disappears, before the other organs of the body cease to function---all of a sudden becomes cognizant and all-knowing in the instant of death, then comes back as a stand-up comedian or cockroach or amoeba, albeit with no 'memory' of the women he schtupped during his last iteration or what he had for breakfast last Tuesday.

I see no evidence presented.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

There are some well documented cases of mostly young children who have memories of being someone else in a past life, not Babe Ruth, but a little known person and the memories then check out... the few accounts I have seen are pretty credible. 

Who would you want to be? I'd choose Jesus.

1 hour ago, bignok said:
1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

My own belief is that I am vey similar to the computer that I'm typing on right now. My brain is the CPU and my mind consists of all the 'stuff' that's in the memory and gives the CPU something to do.

1 hour ago, bignok said:

Do computers feel love, hate, joy?

No of course they don't, but the fact that we do (or at least are capable of it) does not provide any evidence that we survive beyond our mortal death.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, bignok said:

I see no evidence presented.

I think we're allowed to disagree & state our beliefs on this thread : )

No  "source?" or "misinformation!" type comments should be allowed ; )

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

all of a sudden becomes cognizant and all-knowing in the instant of death, then comes back as a stand-up comedian or cockroach or amoeba,

Well, what about the possibility of arriving somewhere else? The universe is vast and we know so little. If existence continues on in another place or form it is likely something that we cannot imagine... like what does it feel like when 2 amoebas shtup each other? And how many people on this forum know what shtupping means? 

Just now, 1FinickyOne said:

Well, what about the possibility of arriving somewhere else? The universe is vast and we know so little. If existence continues on in another place or form it is likely something that we cannot imagine... like what does it feel like when 2 amoebas shtup each other? And how many people on this forum know what shtupping means? 

Shut up badly spelt?

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, bignok said:

Who would you want to be? I'd choose Jesus.

The carpenter? Or the Buddhist monk version? I think maybe we go on to be somethhing else, something we cannot imagine in the same way we cannot comprehend infinity.

2 minutes ago, bignok said:

Shut up badly spelt?

That would be correct if I was trying to spell shut up - I was responding to someone who used the word shtup which is a Yiddish word that means 'my baby does the hanky panky' 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

The carpenter? Or the Buddhist monk version? I think maybe we go on to be somethhing else, something we cannot imagine in the same way we cannot comprehend infinity.

Monk version. Travel to Ko Samui and back to Rome.

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:
1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

It's amazing what a vivid imagination can do. Thanks, but I'll save my $12.99 for something a little more practical (that I can't take with me when I go ????)

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

Is  $12.99 the cost of a return ticket to earth?

I've no idea. You'd better ask @sirineou about that.