Thai Couple Shocked At Losing Camera Gear While Holidaying In Swiss Town

webfact

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Breaking news: thieves exist all over the world.

Next video: It rained in Switzerland. 

With that difference, if this happened to a Swiss couple in Thailand, many on this forum would be slagging off Thais.

• Thumbs Up 2

40 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

Sounds iffy to me too.  Many years ago I knew someone who claimed on his insurance for a camera that had been stolen from his hotel room.  Only thing was he never had a camera .

Also in the '60s he made a claim for a stolen motorbike in London. He sold the bike to someone for 100 quid and gave him the bike key.  Horrible chap.

Perhaps. Rare for no cameras in a hotel. Maybe they choose the hotel on purpose . Heard a noise? Most hotel rooms are small. Was this an airbnb apartment? Hotel rooms have strong latches that are hard to break into. 

Update - Read the story - rented house it sounds like. Strange to leave camera outside bedroom though. They only noticed camera missing upon check out.

Edited by bignok

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Why is this news? Theft happens all over the world. The Swiss are not an exception. The only reason we know about this, is they they likely have alot of "followers" on their travel page. 

555 several years ago I had a red plate PCX stolen from outside a bar I was in.Didn't you see the article in the Bkk Post?

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

I’m sure everything was insured...????

You know everything, dont you mr Clouseau? The content they had on their cameras was worth more than the instruments. Seen the reaction of a lot of you guys above, you really seem to have issues with Thai being succesful. I have met these people before, and they are very proffesional and have a large following. But you must live under the impression that all Thais are scammers and thieves. Wow

• Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, BenStark said:

With that difference, if this happened to a Swiss couple in Thailand, many on this forum would be slagging off Thais.

You know for a fact the thief was Swiss?

French, Italian or German side?

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, Vibora99 said:

Is this stupid "news" to fill space? For me it would be more important to confirm that in Switzerland, the day lasts 24 hours...

anything to fill in a space or two - about as interesting as reporting on the sighting of soi dogs in Thailand.

2 hours ago, bignok said:

Update - Read the story - rented house it sounds like. Strange to leave camera outside bedroom though. They only noticed camera missing upon check out.

Edited 2 hours ago by bignok

it hadnt occurred to you to red the story before yor fist comments?

As for leaving the camera outside the bedroom, what are you on about? 

So they travel with a GoPro, a DJi Drone an osmo mobile and a camera
only the camera is "lost" (cough cough)

"what the couple regrets the most is not having any photos to share with their followers."
why take so many expensive toys and only play with the one?

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Why is this news? Theft happens all over the world. The Swiss are not an exception. The only reason we know about this, is they they likely have alot of "followers" on their travel page. 

Sort of missing the point, Thai folks are special and should be exempt from robbery. This direct from a Thai relative. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

because they're rich (renting an entire villa) and this can't possibly be happening to them

Thai people also naively tend to thinks certain nationalities are beyond reproach, like Japan is a paradise and crime-free, I mean.. they're in paradise... how could this happens....

not beyond the reporting from tabloid from the west that reports accidents that happens to white tourist, to locals it's idiots rents motorcycles, plenty more in the ER to the tabloid headlines of "troubles in paradise" sells

8 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Why open the bag and take everything, wasting time with people inside the building?

Just pick up the bag and go, dump the bag later?

Sounds iffy to me.

Yes indeed! Perhaps the Thai tourist version of the Indian "Gold Necklace Syndrome"?

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Sort of missing the point, Thai folks are special and should be exempt from robbery. This direct from a Thai relative. 

Very, very special. 

1. Thais have generated a massive number of Nobel peace prize awards throughout the decades, for their incredible innovation. 

2. Thai filmmakers continue to win Oscars, for their achievements. 

3. Thai journalists attract attention and win Peabody awards for their outstanding investigative journalism. 

4. Thai athletes regularly win silver and gold medals at the Olympics, for their athletic prowess. 

5. The Thai government is often praised for it's human rights achievements. 

6. Thais have world class environmental policy, and some of the cleanest air in the world. 

7. Thailand has some of thr safest roads in the world. 

8. Thai mathematicians and scientists are brilliant and solve world class theorems and problems. 

What have I missed? Very special. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, BenStark said:

Maybe you should take some reading lessons. Where did I even mention in my post that the thief was Swiss?

So should you.....topic is about a theft in Switzerland, not to a Swiss couple in Thailand.

3 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

You know everything, dont you mr Clouseau? The content they had on their cameras was worth more than the instruments. Seen the reaction of a lot of you guys above, you really seem to have issues with Thai being succesful. I have met these people before, and they are very proffesional and have a large following. But you must live under the impression that all Thais are scammers and thieves. Wow

Very professional? Leaving camera gear outside bedrooms, staying in homes with no cameras. Getting robbed and only discover it days later.

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

Yes indeed! Perhaps the Thai tourist version of the Indian "Gold Necklace Syndrome"?

Chai.. I'd have  a very close look at all their combined carry-on and hold luggage on the return trip, just to make sure.

• Thumbs Up 1

For anyone who has encountered theft the experience is utterly horrible. 

This couple had their rented home broken into and belongings stolen, yet a number of commentators in this thread seem to express a level of satisfaction that this happened to a Thai Couple....   I really do wonder how some become so awfully bitter and twisted in their underlying attitudes. 

It does seem strange that a hotel would not have CCTV, especially in a Tech savvy and developed nation such as Switzerland, even in a quiet little town such as Grindlewald. 

It actually seems strange that there is no public CCTV in such an area. 

As far as the geniuses questioning the legitimacy of leaving the camera gear outside of the bedroom.... When I have rented 'houses' most of the stuff, camera gear, laptops etc gets left in the living room.  AND... I'd only notice a missing Go-Pro the next time I opened the bag up to go and use it or charge it up etc... So I'm not really sure what someone you are trying to get at.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

EVERYBODY KNOWS in Switzerland all crime is done by foreigners. That's why 71% of people in jail in Switzerland are not Swiss. And to be honest if you live near France (e.g. Geneva) French (pesky foreigners) do the majority of burglaries (at least according to local folklore). They nip over the border at night, do their pesky crimes and nip back. So it is said. 

20 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Why is this news? Theft happens all over the world. The Swiss are not an exception. The only reason we know about this, is they they likely have alot of "followers" on their travel page

Are there any hobo drug addicts in Switzerland? I always thought that hobo drug addicts are only an American phenomenon among the advanced countries.