Pictures of school lunches spark social media outrage

snoop1130

Always knew education was a rip off in Thailand especially.

why do you want your kids to go to a private or international school who are operated n run by greedy rich people who rip you off on ridiculous items like - deposit for building fund, non refundable deposit, outrageous school fees, school bus that cost more than airport limos and they charge per kid despite both kids going to the same house…n school lunches which are as expensive than gourmet cuisine …. Greed greed greed 

• Like 2

My wife had a food shop at a university until covid put paid to that. Granted she's very experienced having many shops over the years and she also knows how to buy at the market. Her prices ranged from 30-50 baht  and the serves were designed for students who were young adults, she rarely had any complaints. Many Thais simply can't cook and have no idea how to buy decent produce at the right price. 

Thai government schools are bad but not all teachers are bad. Visited a school outside Hua Hin recently where the teachers buy vegetables from their own pocket and help cook the food for the kids because there's no budget for a cook. Not surprised they can't wait to be transferred. 

11 minutes ago, alanrchase said:

By my calculations they are paying about 30 baht per meal. I assume the meal is served to them and people tidy up afterwards. It may not be gourmet food but what do they expect for 30 baht? 

Yes, I have worked out the same.

That said economy of scale suggests something a bit better!

The school from which I retired was run by nuns. Whatever the issues/irritants with having nuns in charge (and there were plenty), corruption and skimming by the senior management (nuns) was not one of them; mind you some of the lay teachers were not averse at having a go - purchasing textbooks springs to mind! We would have (and did) manage to provide some vegetables, a sauce and a piece of fruit as well for that price. 

Frankly at THB 3,000 per semester, I am surprised they even get this. That's 16 weeks x 5 days = THB 37.5 per day. That needs to cover cost of goods, staff, kitchen facilities, utilities and any margin for the operator. The problem does not seem to be the food ... but rather the expectation of the parents for the amount they pay. Packed lunches would seem an optional solution.

• Like 2

What a disgrace. We all know there's corruption in this fair land, but to take (paid for) food off children is the lowest of the low... right out of Kim Wrong-Un's handbook. How's about some proper retribution for a change, like emptying the director's (or whoever is in on this) bank account and divvying it up among the parents?