Purse-snatching pinch: Chinese thief bagged for swiping 2.1 million baht Louis Vuitton at Bangkok airport

webfact

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Police officers reviewed CCTV footage at the counter and nearby areas until they identified the thief. In the footage, a Chinese man, 38 year old Xiaoyi Liao, is seen staring at the pink luxury bag. He then placed his backpack on the counter to hide the victim’s bag from view before holding both bags and heading straight to the bathroom.

Opportunist thief or pro?

20 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

If one owns a bag of that value, it is not something to brag about. It is an obscenity. The ownership of something like that is representative of a extreme level of self absorbtion, a total lack of perspective on life, and an intense and pathological desire to impress others. Likely due to major self esteem issues. 

If it had been stolen, it is likely she would not have received much sympathy. And one has to wonder, when faced with such riches, what percentage of that wealth she is using to make the world a better place, and ease the suffering of others. Otherwise, she is just an embarrassment to the human race. 

its called the Paris Hilton syndrome

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bluejets said:

Hope she kept receipts if making any insurance claim........I know that LV is expensive but 2.1 mil seems extreme.????

The wording limited edition and the number made is key here. Some Louise Vuitton are well over £150,000 "crazy". They have a very good resale value and some of the rare bags go up in value. My wife had to wait 18 years for her first Louise Vuitton (she now has 2). It was easier to buy knowing it had a resale value...lol

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

Chinese on Chinese crime becoming a problem in Thailand. Wonder what the chances of blackmail schemes are at those Chinese only clubs and bars and other gray businesses. At least the purse snatcher was committing his crime in the open.

They want more of it. 

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

If one owns a bag of that value, it is not something to brag about. It is an obscenity. The ownership of something like that is representative of a extreme level of self absorbtion, a total lack of perspective on life, and an intense and pathological desire to impress others. Likely due to major self esteem issues. 

If it had been stolen, it is likely she would not have received much sympathy. And one has to wonder, when faced with such riches, what percentage of that wealth she is using to make the world a better place, and ease the suffering of others. Otherwise, she is just an embarrassment to the human race. 

???? Hear Hear! ????

Top price for a pair of Air Jordans 17,711,000 THB. 2nd most expensive 3.2m THB. 3rd, 3.1m THB. Just a sample.

But, because she's Chinese and a woman, somehow it's obscene to have paid this amount, if she in fact did. However, it's crazy to be actually carrying this item around with you. It should be locked away in a safe. In a few years, it would have been worth double. Only 5 made! Unused. Mint condition. Priceless!

1 hour ago, Phuketshrew said:

2.1 mill baht for a frigging handbag! ... the World has gone nuts.

We know nothing about her, maybe she saved up for years to get her dream bag.

And people saying to put it in a safe...i applaud her that she actually enjoys the things she likes.

People have different hobbies and interests, $50k watch is crazy too but horology and watch hobby is very common. How is that different from liking handbags, cars or any other materialistic stuff.

People wouldnt say nothing if this was a guy getting his Patek stolen.

Edited by buddyy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Awesome Virtue signal.....   How much of your wealth do you give away to those who need it ?

We should all live in the same type of housing...  get paid the same for our varied contributions to society (or lack there of for some of us)... eat the same etc...  perhaps we should have the same transport options...  your rhetoric would suggest that those in riding around in BMW's and Mercedes are 'obscene' when they could get from A-B on a 10 baht Bus. 

Isn't it horrific that some fly First and Business Class when others can't even afford to travel ????

Perhaps it is obscene... but where is the line in the sand ?....  Is the line in the sand what 'you' consider extreme ?....

Many of our lifestyles and expenditures would seem equally obscene to many, no doubt yours too Spider... 

I kind of agree with your points, but I'd also be a hypocrite if I didn't say I also enjoy nice and necessary things, watches for example.... and who really really needs a holiday overseas ?

4 minutes ago, CanadaSam said:

Not easy to sell in this part of the world,

Why not ?....   

4 minutes ago, CanadaSam said:

but I agree, she should not be traveling with it.

Again.. why not ???.....      just because its expensive..  99% of people won't even know what an Hermès Berkin is, let alone this bag...  watches.. who knows about AP.. etc...  sometimes, bags like this are 'stealth wealth' rather than 'branding plastered' everywhere. 

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Why not ?....   

Again.. why not ???.....      just because its expensive..  99% of people won't even know what an Hermès Berkin is, let alone this bag...  watches.. who knows about AP.. etc...  sometimes, bags like this are 'stealth wealth' rather than 'branding plastered' everywhere. 

I heard about a guy that came here and would take a fake LV bag home, which seemed ONE was allowed each visit and sell it.........seemed to be a sweet gig for him..even tho it was fake

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

It's common. I recently received a Facebook Memory photo that I took in London's Burlington Arcade, showing a shop selling 600 pound shoes and 14,000 pound Rolexes. They were the discounted sale prices too! No-one actually needs 600 pound shoes or 14,000 pound watches, do they. Probably popular with certain politicians though.

• Like 1