British Nationals Among Many Foreigners Involved in Overstay Crimes in Thailand

webfact

2 hours ago, RafPinto said:

At least the "BMW" is reliable.

There must as well be some "Chinese" on overstay but better not to mention them.

Like all of the Chinese overstayers they arrested last week? Pay attention please.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

Not sure why they single out the Brits when it says "Among 'Many' Foreigners Involved in Overstay Crimes".

Could it be that they single out Brits because it is the British (UK) embassy that did the report?

Some how I think it would be difficult for them to do one that covered russians or Indians

• Like 1

6 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Yes, they did. And Brits (or others) who didn't use the chance to extend their permission of stay are at fault... But calling them "criminals"? I bet this term is not used in Oz.

Well, come on!............. how can the Aussies call anybody a criminal.......????

4 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

So, would you call yourself a criminal, if, say, by accident you overstayed for 3 days in Thailand?

What difference does it make what I would call myself? 

By definition: Crime- an action or omission that constitutes an offense that may be prosecuted by the state and is punishable by law.

Criminal- a person who has committed a crime.

So, now you're assuming that the OP is talking about people who've overstayed by three days?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here..... all the criminals guilty of overstay in Thailand are foreigners. All of them. 100%. Not a single Thai guilty of overstay in the kingdom.

On 6/27/2023 at 1:07 PM, ozimoron said:

What would your reaction be to an overstay in your own country?

In my country we would provide free housing and free money to illegal immigrants which leads to the people voting more and more right wing parties. Which than surprises the other parties

23 hours ago, Srikcir said:

In democratic countries it is not a crime to tarnish a country's reputation - their "reputation" isn't so fragile versus Thailand.

What has that to do if the government is democratic or not? You can have a very nationalistic but democratic government.

52 minutes ago, h90 said:

You can have a very nationalistic but democratic government

That's a meaningless statement as "nationalistic" and "democratic" are not choices.

A federal government is nationalistic in nature as it enjoins the entire nation under a particular ideology, ie., democracy, authoritarian, absolute/dictatorship, etc..

What you cannot have is tolerance for freedom of speech outside of a "full" or "flawed" democracy (as defined by the EIU Democracy Index) regardless of what a nation's constitution may claim to protect.

On 6/27/2023 at 9:43 PM, StayinThailand2much said:

So, would you call yourself a criminal, if, say, by accident you overstayed for 3 days in Thailand?

Is it really about what one would call oneself?