Broken suitcase wheel may have caused Don Mueang moving walkway incident

webfact

The wife and I were out and around yesterday, riding on BTS and MRT and visiting some malls.... and going up and down on various escalators throughout... And given recent events, we were paying particular attention to the escalators we used.

Some of the designs had the plastic-type end cap type coverings at the end of each section... But others were entirely one piece solid metal where the structural part meets the moving part....

In the solid one-piece metal style, there's seemingly nothing to break off or come lose at the end of each section. But even on the other style with the plastic type coverings, it's hard to see how a suitcase wheel alone would cause that kind of mishap.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SomchaiDIY said:

safety inspection of these system very important
i read some note about safety from walkway company 

daily inspection of comb plate at end of walkway very important

regular testing of comb plate safety switch very important

example comb plate inspecting

What_is_the_Escalator_Moving_Walk_Comb_Plate.jpg.07e27d00d00787406aed6c83f6b053cc.jpg

This is a very clear and definitive photograph of the End pieces that are installed on all Walkways.

A disturbing photo yesterday of the poor Lady actually trapped , clearly showed that the top plate ( where the hand is placed, had clearly been removed and replaced with a piec of thin metal, which is not fit for purpose.

I guess if a repair had been made, the team had run out of sticky tape and wire

I don't believe that for a minute.  I'd like to see a demonstration of how a leg could fit into the space of a couple of combs falling off because a small object hit them.  The small wheel could have been a contributing factor but, as another has said, a moving walkway should not cause a serious injury such as this due to a small object getting stuck.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Both of the comb guards that broke off have several missing teeth on them.  I guess the question is were they already missing?  I don't see any of the teeth laying around there but they may have fallen down inside.

226314206_Screenshot2023-07-01090222.png.6650525745348cd6f10edd662ba60663.png

1 hour ago, rwill said:

Both of the comb guards that broke off have several missing teeth on them.  I guess the question is were they already missing?  I don't see any of the teeth laying around there but they may have fallen down inside.

226314206_Screenshot2023-07-01090222.png.6650525745348cd6f10edd662ba60663.png

From this picture it looks like a combination of factors has caused this accident.

Maybe there were broken comb guards with some missing teeth that then caught a wheel of her luggage and jamming one moving metal step so wide off that her foot or leg was trapped in that gap. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CLW said:

From this picture it looks like a combination of factors has caused this accident.

Maybe there were broken comb guards with some missing teeth that then caught a wheel of her luggage and jamming one moving metal step so wide off that her foot or leg was trapped in that gap. 

There have been photographs in newspapers and AN of the lady's pink case showing damage to the bottom and two wheels missing.

7 hours ago, homeseeker said:

Soon the tragic victim will be blamed. TiT.

It seems she already has, if it’s her suitcase they’re referring to. Despicable liars, cheats and charlatans. 

7 hours ago, homeseeker said:

Soon the tragic victim will be blamed. TiT.

Some AN posters have already levied such accusation in other threads.... 

... blaming her for having a suitcase for being too heavy

... blaming her for having a suitcase that is too large for carry on

... saw a phone cable, blaming her for being on her phone not paying attention

1 hour ago, edwinchester said:
2 hours ago, fdimike said:

The walkway was installed in 1996 according to the BP which makes it 7 years old and not 27 years old.

Maths not a strongpoint of yours is it.

haha - that was a spectacular brain-fart !!!.....    Got to wonder about some posters !