Facial recognition - and other Thai banking fiascos!! - YMMV

4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That was just for a new BBL ATM card?  Their response doesn't make any sense.  And it is incorrect.

Not sure if it's pertinent, but I also have a new PP, but that's been no issue in the past.

OP edited for clarity.

9 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Suspect that is the issue - believe passport can only be updated at home branch and to get card/passbook will require update

Could well be, but I've got new passbooks with new PPs at that branch in the past. It's no real pain, my home branch is close to the BTS, I'll just take a wander when I don't have a meeting. I could be some time!

Update on the Bangkok Bank issue.

I've decided I don't need a new card, at least for now.

When I got my new phone, I tried to activate the app and it wanted my card number, old number wouldn't work (expired), so I shelved the idea.

Fast-forward to an hour ago.

I just did an update to the app and this time it gave me the option of using my online banking credentials, which worked.

It is now telling me I have an online transfer limit of 200,000 Baht, no mention of facials ???? 

We shall see next month when I send my $$$ to the UK.

I called both scb and kasikorn a few days about this. They both said the same thing basically. Not available for foreigners yet. Scb were weird about it. It's like they ignored everything I said about face scanning for two minutes and tried to put words in my mouth "so mister you want to create an exemption in the system right". 

I refused this based on how keen he was on me doing it.

They said they will release an update soon for the app so foreigners can do it but no idea when yet. I'm not holding my breath. They said the same thing when I called a couple of months ago.

Kasikorn was much the same.

As for updating passport. I updated mine at a different provinces kasikorn and scb about a year ago with no issues.

Bangkok bank sucks and closed my account with them months ago. They were incredibly difficult to deal with.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Crossy said:

"OK (checking my number again), headquarters will be in touch by SMS when it is approved in 2 or 3 business days".

Got the "approved" text at 6.30 this morning.

We shall see how well it works when I next send Madam her housekeeping (ok it's the mortgage money as well).

Meanwhile, Bangkok Bank app says I can go to any branch with my passbook to do a photo (but I'll still need to update my PP I suspect). Domestic transfers are currently limited to 50k but it also says that international transfers are 200k THB per day.

21 hours ago, Crossy said:

Part 1

Many of us will have received this email from SCB.

image.png.5638cd6e15bdb91944ba92e17f8934cb.png

So, today since I'm not in the office due to getting my Work Permit medical (which was quick and easy) I headed off to our local SCB branch with Madam in tow due to little English being spoken by the bank staff. Note, we are not in the boonies, this is still in Greater Bangkok.

Showed the girlie on the door the email, she gave me a number and pointed us towards a desk with bank staff, showed him the email and he understood what was needed.

So Far So Good.

He then spent a while on the phone (to the call centre it turned out), then handed me the phone.

I spoke to a nice gentleman at the call centre who asked what I wanted to do "I need to do the facial recognition for the app", "Ah, are you in an SCB branch (yes) I'm not sure why they called me, let me talk to the bank staff again". 

More talking on the phone.

OK, back to my friend in the call centre: -

"The staff tell me you want an exemption from the facial recognition".

"No. I want to do the photo so the app will let me transact over 50k Baht please".

"Ah, SCB have no mechanism to do this for foreigners! We can only offer an exemption". (see the above email!)

"OK, let's do that then".

"I must warn you that any illegal transactions will be your responsibility".

"Fine by me".

He checked my phone number was correct and asked for the last 4 digits of my ATM card, then transferred me to the automatic system where I entered my PIN.

Back to my friend again: -

"OK (checking my number again), headquarters will be in touch by SMS when it is approved in 2 or 3 business days".

Phone hung up.

"OK, thank you very much", wais exchanged all round. Exit stage left.

Waited until we were in the car before showing that I was "a little miffed"!

Part 2

OK, off to our local Bangkok Bank with visions of doing the same there. Note that this isn't my "home" branch, but I've got several new passbooks and changed my passport number there several times over the years.

I need a new ATM card as the old one is expired (we never got to the facial recognition bit). Lots of wandering around and phone calls. Eventually, "We don't think we can do it here, you need to go to your home branch, or we can open a new account. We will call headquarters and get back to you".

EDIT Not sure if it's relevant but I also have a new PP, maybe they fall over if two things need doing.

Just got the call, "Have to do at home branch". Hopefully it still exists.

To be Continued!!!

Same email from KrungThai bank. Although it said to apply before 31 July, following a 40 minute queue the Teller said foreigners will not be able to complete until 4 August!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, anterian said:

I am totally pissed off about this, this is not about security, its about the push to a cashless society. Less bank branches, ATMs and staff, and more profits for the bank. They could easily run both systems and let the customer choose. My British bank has both systems. 

Yeh, but this is Bangkok Bank and not Barclays! 555

11 hours ago, anterian said:

I am totally pissed off about this, this is not about security, its about the push to a cashless society. Less bank branches, ATMs and staff, and more profits for the bank. They could easily run both systems and let the customer choose. My British bank has both systems. 

How is it pushing the cashless society? It is an extra level of security added to a cashless bank app.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Some banks here can be a real pain in the neck sometimes. In many cases its the language barrier, or being fobbed off with any kind of excuse because either they can't be bothered or don't know.

As to updating passports, my original passport number of over 20 years ago is still required for some transactions within the bank KTB, usually when requesting the Immi letter and/or a new passbook. Why a passbook is required is beyond me, as in the UK they went out with button boots/the old Post Office savings A/C. A bank statement of the past 12 months or more can be requested via the App. But,TIT.

• Like 2

Off topic but I wonder how many problems for foreigners in Thailand would be solved if those foreigners spoke Thai?

In the UK and US locals get angry when hearing people speak foreign languages, "speak American" has appeared in many articles (not condoning racism). 

I know Thai education is not good so learning the national language makes sense for doing business here. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm with the SCB and typically use SCBEasy on my laptop. I've received emails saying, or implying, SCBEasy will be terminated on 14 July and I need to download the SCB mobile phone App. I don't have a mobile phone, and have sort of been hoping/assuming I can continue to use SCBEasy.

I've never received any emails about 'facial recognition', but my transfers are always under 100,000 Baht.

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Purdey said:

Off topic but I wonder how many problems for foreigners in Thailand would be solved if those foreigners spoke Thai?

In the UK and US locals get angry when hearing people speak foreign languages, "speak American" has appeared in many articles (not condoning racism). 

I know Thai education is not good so learning the national language makes sense for doing business here. 

I always take the mrs for communication, still get confusion, excuses, ignorance and incompetence. Took my bank over 2 hours to get their app to work on my phone, new phone 2 months later the same head scratching, but they did get it down to 45 minutes. Most behave like it's the first week on the job and even a withdrawal often needs senior staff to tap the keyboard many times. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

I just tried a 200K transfer using the SCB app (which I have done many times in the past) and was presented with an "Unable to Proceed" message advising me me to contact the bank and bring my ID so they can take a photo of my face. No mention of Thai Nationals or Foreigners in the message.

I will be headed into town later today and visit SCB to try to get this sorted.

Did Passport update and facial recognition over 2 days at Bangkok Bank. Two days because PP details had to go to head office - got call that afternoon saying can come in tomorrow when bank opens to do facial recognition. Very quick and painless.

14 hours ago, anterian said:

agreed..has no additional or only minor security features for the user but gives ur biometrics to a private company..i will stay away from it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

I don't have a mobile phone, and have sort of been hoping/assuming I can continue to use SCBEasy.

Nope - well not as far as everybody knows.

You may want to have a look at this thread if you haven't already - https://aseannow.com/topic/1298082-scb-ending-scb-easy-net-internet-banking/

2 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

but my transfers are always under 100,000 Baht.

I think it is over 50k baht not 100.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alanrchase said:

How is it pushing the cashless society? It is an extra level of security added to a cashless bank app.

yeah great level of security added.. in the past they needed to snatch ur pin only ..now if someone wants ur monies they will kidnap you ..great!

if one does not see the push to cashless then there is nothing to say to that person except sweet dreams

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/11/2023 at 10:42 AM, Crossy said:

Part 1

Many of us will have received this email from SCB.

image.png.5638cd6e15bdb91944ba92e17f8934cb.png

So, today since I'm not in the office due to getting my Work Permit medical (which was quick and easy) I headed off to our local SCB branch with Madam in tow due to little English being spoken by the bank staff. Note, we are not in the boonies, this is still in Greater Bangkok.

Showed the girlie on the door the email, she gave me a number and pointed us towards a desk with bank staff, showed him the email and he understood what was needed.

So Far So Good.

He then spent a while on the phone (to the call centre it turned out), then handed me the phone.

I spoke to a nice gentleman at the call centre who asked what I wanted to do "I need to do the facial recognition for the app", "Ah, are you in an SCB branch (yes) I'm not sure why they called me, let me talk to the bank staff again". 

More talking on the phone.

OK, back to my friend in the call centre: -

"The staff tell me you want an exemption from the facial recognition".

"No. I want to do the photo so the app will let me transact over 50k Baht please".

"Ah, SCB have no mechanism to do this for foreigners! We can only offer an exemption". (see the above email!)

"OK, let's do that then".

"I must warn you that any illegal transactions will be your responsibility".

"Fine by me".

He checked my phone number was correct and asked for the last 4 digits of my ATM card, then transferred me to the automatic system where I entered my PIN.

Back to my friend again: -

Phone hung up.

"OK, thank you very much", wais exchanged all round. Exit stage left.

Waited until we were in the car before showing that I was "a little miffed"!

Part 2

OK, off to our local Bangkok Bank with visions of doing the same there. Note that this isn't my "home" branch, but I've got several new passbooks and changed my passport number there several times over the years.

I need a new ATM card as the old one is expired (we never got to the facial recognition bit). Lots of wandering around and phone calls. Eventually, "We don't think we can do it here, you need to go to your home branch, or we can open a new account. We will call headquarters and get back to you".

EDIT Not sure if it's relevant but I also have a new PP, maybe they fall over if two things need doing.

Just got the call, "Have to do at home branch". Hopefully it still exists.

To be Continued!!!

ahhh the PP ... yeah, mine expired and now total chaos.... local branch do some temp workaround and evry time I go in there they freak out and spend over 1 hour on the phone.. and nothing changes.. next visit yes.. the circus starts again.. so, take notice about you PP

• Like 1