Crackdown ordered on organised crime in Pattaya, stricter visa screening after Ralter Mack murder

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

a tightening of Immigration Bureau screening of visa applicants particularly for retirement visas applicants who may have links to crime

Here we go. Likely criminal record info from home country as per teacher applications will be required, although criminals will likely find a way around this, leaving the law abiding with more paperwork to obtain in advance of extensions.

Edited by mokwit
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

They could start with introducing a criminal records check. Some of those retirees probably have criminal records as thick as a phone book back home, and filtering them out would be easy. I've never understood why this isn't a requirement for ALL longterm visas and extensions. 

Why only for longterm? Why not include all VOA/VE/TR arrivals? Seems e.g ATM fraud gangs arrive his way. Thailand makes ST entry very easy. Imagine the ques at the Airport if they introduce the need to show no criminal record proof from home country as a condition of entry. Likewise, longer ques at Imm as more documents to examine. Of course those calling for tighter regulations don't use agents, so they will be spitting blood on extension day.

Again, those wishing for tighter visa requirements, be careful what you wish for, you might find the rising tide reaches you.

Supposing we have to prove out retirement funds are not ill gotten gains? Typically Imm has very narrow criteria and is rigid about them, so if they specify a handful of acceptable options then maybe those on here who have vast holdings of real estate and securities in lieu of a defined benefit pension might not qualify.......

Edited by mokwit
  • Like 2

I renewed my Extension of Stay/‘Retirement Visa’ today, I always use an agent even though I have the money in the bank, too lazy, hate going to immigration and it’s the other side of the city.

It was a visit to agent office then the bank, rep from agent there as well who took my photo then I had to go to Jomtien and have some one take a photo outside the office showing me standing next to the immigration logo.
Lady in the agent office said more checks were in place now due to the murder of the German fella.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

a tightening of Immigration Bureau screening of visa applicants particularly for retirement visas applicants who may have links to crime. He also has ordered police to pay special attention to organised groups with distinctive tattoos and who ride Harley Davidson motorcycles.

Retirement visas going to get a lot more difficult to obtain in the near future I reckon. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, mokwit said:

Why only for longterm? Why not include all VOA/VE/TR arrivals? Seems e.g ATM fraud gangs arrive his way.

It's impossible to implement and would cripple tourism overnight.

Not many people will bother to get a criminal record check for a two week holiday to Thailand.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

It's impossible to implement and would cripple tourism overnight.

Not many people will bother to get a criminal record check for a two week holiday to Thailand.

Valid points but it doesn't mean they wouldn't implement first, find out the effects later.

Edited by mokwit

7 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Retirement visas going to get a lot more difficult to obtain in the near future I reckon. 

Are all undesirables over 50 and of retirement age? Asking for a 40 year old friend.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

My best guess is criminal record check from home country same as OA visa. Proof of origin of funds a very distant second possibility.

Edited by mokwit
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Lady in the agent office said more checks were in place now due to the murder of the German fella.

Seems too quickly implemented - I would guess this is a follow on from the Chinese Triad crackdown.

Edited by mokwit

Just now, mokwit said:

Valid points but it doesn't mean they wouldn't implement first, find out he effects later.

Even they are not that stupid to implement something that would cripple their tourism industry. 

They cannot get access to other countries' criminal databases either, so sharing data is another non-starter. 

Retirement visas, different story. Fewer applicants, and longer term stayers so less work overall. Difficult to manage but not impossible. I could see it being implemented for new applicants or renewals.

8 hours ago, Caldera said:

They could start with introducing a criminal records check. Some of those retirees probably have criminal records as thick as a phone book back home, and filtering them out would be easy. I've never understood why this isn't a requirement for ALL longterm visas and extensions. 

Since I have spent the last 18 years here perhaps I should either get a pass, or a check from the Thai police? I bet there are more tourists with criminal pasts coming in!