Sri Racha Electrician Suffers Severe Electric Shock

webfact

image.jpeg

Sri Racha — A Thai electrician was accidentally zapped with electricity while installing a light in Sri Racha. He then fell down a ladder that he was working on and sustained further serious injuries.

The unfortunate mishap happened at a two-storey building in Chonburi’s Sri Racha district. Local rescue teams rushed to the scene on Sunday afternoon, July 23rd, following the notification of the incident.

On the second floor of the building, the rescuers found the victim, 40-year-old Mr. Paiboon Ketnet, lying unresponsive on a restroom floor. They immediately performed CPR to resuscitate him after knowing that his heartbeat had stopped.

By Tanakorn Panyadee

PHOTO: TMN Cable TV Pattaya

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2023/07/23/sri-racha-electrician-suffers-severe-electric-shock/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2023-07-24

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 2

Can safety shoes prevent electric shock?

Electrical shock proof shoes are isolating safety boots that provide a secondary source of protection from electric shocks. The entire surface of these safety boots are made from non-conductive materials; thus, no electrical charge will pass through the body.

Obviously he wasn't wearing non-conductive foot wear....

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

It is possible he had the other hand on the steps too.  I am betting he had flip-flops on if any footwear. 

2 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

An electrician....fixing a light....and gets a "serious" electric shock.

He is obviously not an electrician because he got a shock....but he likely thinks he is, and, of course knows everything...probably 90% of "electricians" in Thailand are the same.

Oh for the want of a tester!

Make sure the power is turned off first.  Double check it with a meter.

I admit I sometimes work on wall outlets without turning the power off first but it not a smart thing to do.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

Electrical shock proof shoes are isolating safety boots that provide a secondary source of protection from electric shocks. The entire surface of these safety boots are made from non-conductive materials; thus, no electrical charge will pass through the body.

Unless wearing rubber gloves not a 100% solution.

Best way is to turn the power off at the mains first.

I will always remember my Thai family disagreeing with me on the correct way to wire up an outside light, and they hired a village "electrician" while I was away to do what they wanted. Result was 10 meters of melted cable, melted switch, and a melted light fitting. I laughed like a drain when I returned and saw that.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, rwill said:

Make sure the power is turned off first.  Double check it with a meter.

I admit I sometimes work on wall outlets without turning the power off first but it not a smart thing to do.  

I love my screwdriver with a light that checks for live wires.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, bluejets said:

If he is touching any conductive material with any part of his body he is toast.

Doesn't have to go through his feet.

Far as I know, as long as no part of the body was earthed one wouldn't get a shock. As I understand it, the heart is affected when such as a hand touches a live wire and the other hand or the feet are earthed, so the current passes through the heart on the way to earth.

I have no intention of seeing if it's true, but I have on occasion had a bit of a tingle when accidentally touching something I should not have.

19 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I love turning the power supply off to the whole house before working on any wiring and then I will check if the power is off on all circuits especially in a house that you are not familiar with .

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Far as I know, as long as no part of the body was earthed one wouldn't get a shock. As I understand it, the heart is affected when such as a hand touches a live wire and the other hand or the feet are earthed, so the current passes through the heart on the way to earth.

I have no intention of seeing if it's true, but I have on occasion had a bit of a tingle when accidentally touching something I should not have.

Wife?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Which does not light up even on live wires if you are not actually grounded at the time... this can be the case up ladders.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

An electrician....fixing a light....and gets a "serious" electric shock.

He is obviously not an electrician because he got a shock....but he likely thinks he is, and, of course knows everything...probably 90% of "electricians" in Thailand are the same.

While I agree with you that he's probably not a qualified electrician I can also inform you that virtually every fully qualified electrician in the West has had a little buzz once or twice in their careers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FruitPudding said:

While I agree with you that he's probably not a qualified electrician I can also inform you that virtually every fully qualified electrician in the West has had a little buzz once or twice in their careers.

Yes, had a few myself......watch out for UPS's!

• Like 1

I replaced my 30 year old breakers with rcbo breakers. My building manager turned off main breaker before anyone messed  about with incoming wires  Cheap name brand on aliexpress.  Well worth the money. 

Can  anybody here come to my room and touch a live wire.  Need to make sure they work. 

Kidding. 

7 hours ago, carlyai said:

Ahhh another use for Crocs. 

I always wear my Crocs doing dangerous ladder work, but I turn the power off first. :)

I've just bought a pair of Crocs. Always steered clear of them, but now I find them the most comfortable shoes for my crippled foot.

I have to say, where on them is the power switch? Are they battery driven or do you have to charge them overnight.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If referring to switch on wall, not so. I had occasion to check wiring in my wife's house where the wires were connected wrongly, so the wire to the light fitting was live when the switch was off.

Only switch that counts is the mains switch.

I was referring to the breaker panel

• Like 1

9 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

Never had this problem with rubber-soled flip-flops. These modern plastic based things however........