16th retirement extension Non-O but Thai wife has spent my 800k.

4 hours ago, Celsius said:

Homeless beggars in San Fran, just like in my city of Toronto and more famously Vancouver are drug addicts who are on the streets by choice. They simply refuse to go to shelters and be fed. 

San Francisco, just like Toronto and vancouver are not the only places to live. A lot of cheap places in North America to settle. 

Most of the druggies and alcoholics I came across in Toronto were native North Americans, if that's the correct terminology.

22 hours ago, Vatman said:

I'm up for my 16th annual extension of my Non-O based on retirement within a couple of weeks. Shock! Horror! My Thai wife, we've been married 26 years, yesterday told me she has spent my 800k keeping her restaurant going. What can I do? I'm 75, on UK passport.

Agent. 

• Thumbs Up 2

21 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Agent ... or take the hint & start packing.

You're no longer become any priority to her to keep around.  You may want to check your chanote on any land you/she owns, to see if she borrowed against it.

at 75 how much does that really matter?

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Vatman said:

What can I do?

Sad situation. You have the option to extend your stay based on marriage, with foreign income of 40k per month – you need to have to had for the last 12 months – or 400k only in bank deposit. Otherwise an agent is the best advice.

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

Sad situation. You have the option to extend your stay based on marriage, with foreign income of 40k per month – you need to have to had for the last 12 months – or 400k only in bank deposit. Otherwise an agent is the best advice.

If the moment he slipped under +800K was more than 2 months prior to such 1-year extension for reason of marriage, his application will be rejected (as he breached the conditions under which the 1-year extension for reason of retirement was provided).  Also during those 2 months prior to application the balance on his account should not have slipped under +400K. 

When not meeting those conditions it would actually be risky to go to the local Imm Office, as he is technically on overstay from the moment he did not meet those financial conditions anymore.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

If the moment he slipped under +800K was more than 2 months prior to such 1-year extension for reason of marriage, his application will be rejected (as he breached the conditions under which the 1-year extension for reason of retirement was provided).  Also during those 2 months prior to application the balance on his account should not have slipped under +400K. 

When not meeting those conditions it would actually be risky to go to the local Imm Office, as he is technically on overstay from the moment he did not meet those financial conditions anymore.

It depends on the IO and the officer he speaks to.

Some are more sympathetic than others.

Last year I slipped and fell damaging my right arm and I was unable to sign any paperwork. The lady IO in Kamphaeng Phet I have dealt with for years told me not to worry and that she would deal with it.

She did, and I got my marriage extension without a problem even though a copy was sent to region 5 IO HQ in Chiang Mai.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/24/2023 at 6:35 PM, KannikaP said:

Someone put a SAD emoji on this reply which is 100% correct. (Not the SAD emoji, that's silly)

Why did the OP not get a message from his bank EVERY time a withdrawal is made, as I do. And one every morning at 8am to say what my balances are. Or even simply log on to his bank each day to see whether or not, wife or anyone else, has been tapping into his retirement fund.

Maybe she wants you kicked out! If my partner did anything like that, she knows she would be out on her a*se, house in her name or not. Or maybe I would be the one to 4...off and leave her with a house AND NO INCOME for her son's and grandson's  school, or anything to eat. 

So, you have not help your wife to build up a life for her own, where she can feel the pleasure of being independent from you and your money? Sounds a little bit like you are scared that she would leave if she had that security. Your comment just stinks of that you have to be the provider that is needed. That´s not a real relationship.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Gottfrid said:

So, you have not help your wife to build up a life for her own, where she can feel the pleasure of being independent from you and your money? Sounds a little bit like you are scared that she would leave if she had that security. Your comment just stinks of that you have to be the provider that is needed. That´s not a real relationship.

You have got the wrong end of the stick, as we say in English. When a couple get together their lives are supposed to be as one, as we are....a real relationship.

Yes, I am the financial provider for both of us and her family, but if she decides to abuse that fact, she can 4... off.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, swerve said:

Too late for the OP, but farangs must always guard/protect that extension of stay money.

Exactly.

Best option is to have a separate bank account for extension purposes.

Lock up 800k in a dedicated bank account.

FD account if you choose.

No ATM card (not necessary) 

Bullet proof. 

Don't know why you got 2 stupid emoji. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Exactly.

Best option is to have a separate bank account for extension purposes.

Lock up 800k in a dedicated bank account.

FD account if you choose.

No ATM card (not necessary) 

Bullet proof. 

Don't know why you got 2 stupid emoji. 

I totally agree;

I have Passport only access with mine at BKK and talk to them on the annual account (not visa) roll over date to check the new interest rate!

PS;  I keep a separate a/c for day to day expenses with the same branch! 

Years ago the CM IO asked to see proof of living expenses but not recently!  

Edited by scottiejohn
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, KannikaP said:

You have got the wrong end of the stick, as we say in English. When a couple get together their lives are supposed to be as one, as we are....a real relationship.

Yes, I am the financial provider for both of us and her family, but if she decides to abuse that fact, she can 4... off.

Ok, how good they they have you. They would never have made it otherwise. And with that belief you are walking around with the whip. Hilarious! Amazing that there are still so many insecure persons that need to maintain the control and suppress personal freedom and development.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

My wife has her own money and a great job, Thanks.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/24/2023 at 4:57 PM, Vatman said:

My wife had my ATM card- after nearly 30 years together I had no reason not to trust her. I actually think she's covering for her daughter. Big mistake having your 800k in an ATM accessable account.

Maybe she knew you loved her so much that she did not even need to ask to know that you would have given her the money to keep her afloat. What's that old saying?

"Better to ask for forgiveness than permission." -Rear Admiral Grace Hopper

grace.01.jpg

23 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

Yes, I think you correct.

45 minutes ago, thinktoomuch said:

Your posts are contradictory.

First you say, "forgive and support your wife," and "do your best to ignore the lip flapping posters who suggest that you dump your wife".

Then you say, "If you don't or cannot trust your wife, then why are you still married to her?" and later on, "My simple question is this. If you cannot or will not  trust your Thai wife, then why are you still married to her?"

Well he did trust his wife and she stole almost $25,000 USD from him and jeopardized his ability to stay in the country. She didn't talk to him about the issues she (or maybe her daughter) were facing and she left her 75-year-old husband at risk of being forced to leave Thailand. That is a huge breach of trust and I doubt that anyone who hadn't taken leave of their senses would continue to trust her.

So which of the two pieces of advice you have been giving, regarding his wife, are you suggesting he follows, (1) forgive and support his wife or (2) divorce her because he can no longer trust her?

Was I addressing the OP twice or the OP and another poster?

43 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Was I addressing the OP twice or the OP and another poster?

Why would you be telling the OP to forgive his wife and stay with her but be telling others who were questioning that advice that they shouldn't still be married to a wife they couldn't trust?

Edit: I said, "Your posts are contradictory," at the start of my previous post and they are.

Edited by thinktoomuch
  • Haha 1