The Postman keeps trying to 'befriend' me.

bob smith

Tell him nothing. It’s not his business.

Does he do it to Thai customers, no, he just drops off and leaves. You deserve the same respect.

Thailand is a class society. Taxi guys, maids, delivery guys, are lower on the scale then customers. Overly friendly chit chat on the job is a way of bringing you down to their level and you lose respect if you do it.

if he baits you and you get annoyed you’re drawn down as well. Just a thank you and door gets shut.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, JimTripper said:

Tell him nothing. It’s not his business.

Does he do it to Thai customers, no, he just drops off and leaves. You deserve the same respect.

Thailand is a class society. Taxi guys, maids, delivery guys, are lower on the scale then customers. Overly friendly chit chat on the job is a way of bringing you down to their level and you lose respect if you do it.

wow. JimTripper totally gets it!!

great reply mate and you are absolutely right.

they wouldnt dream being so nosey to a thai resident, they would get the hose if they did!!

1 minute ago, Berkshire said:

Bob is a serial Thai hater and spends all of his waking hours hating on the Thais.  This week it's the postman.  Next week....who knows? 

might be you if you carry on sonny jim! 

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

Just get a dog, he will piss off soon enough. Or be smart like me, place a plastic container with a thai laminated sign 'Post here / wife number' outside, all our packages go in there without any conversation or calls now.

When the dog gets aggressive tell the post man you want to play a game; who is faster you are your dog, and give him 10 seconds to leave first.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, bob smith said:

his english is horrendous. 

taxi driver english at best.

Cut him some slack...Maybe he is happy to try & improve his English skills

Thai's are not embarrassed to ask about money but you can say not much to that & be done with that

But the other questions seem fine.

15 minutes ago, bbko said:

How many seconds out of the day does it take to be friendly in the land of smiles?

if for genuine friendship i would gladly take 10 minutes out of my busy day for him.

for a nosey little git who's just delivering me a parcel, i only have about 5 seconds for him. any longer and he is taking a liberty. i dont know him and i dont wanna know him!

Edited by bob smith
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, bob smith said:

if for genuine friendship i would gladly take 10 minutes out of my busy day for him.

for a nosey little git who's just delivering me a parcel, i only have about 5 seconds for him. any longer and he is taking a liberty. i dont know him and i dont wanna know him!

Well stop talking to him

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, JayClay said:

Please correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it a post from one of your personas that talked about how rude you found it when people wouldn't talk to you, and how you squared up to them and put them in their place for being such a misery?

If so, your attitude towards this postman feels a little hypocritical.

If I'm wrong, I apologize (I guess..)

Bogs has a drinking problem. He forgets.

On 7/26/2023 at 11:42 AM, 2baht said:

I think he likes you, Bob! ???? Treat him mean, keep him keen! :thumbsup:

I suspect you need a hobby. If this is worrying you, go home.

Many many folks with serious / very serious problems to deal with here.

Your on the very botom of the list.

• Confused 2

Maybe he is just being friendly.  If asks certain questions that are too personal.  You can say to him some questions are too personal.  He probably is curious because you are a foreigner. 
I have had Thais engage me in conversation.  Especially when taking grab car.  Asking personal questions are not uncommon in some Asian countries.  I ran into that during my visits to China. 
Hopefully he will eventually take the hint and find someone more friendly and personable to talk to. 

• Like 1

On 7/26/2023 at 11:48 AM, worgeordie said:

Stop flirting with him , he will get the message , I thought you lived

in a tent , have a wife too , that's surprising .......

regards Worgeordie 

just show him your 'weegeordie' and be done with it.

18 hours ago, bob smith said:

let your wife collect her own parcels..if its pre-paid he can just leave it at the gate..if COD he will call her and she can PromptPay..that way you can hide inside and watch.

• Thumbs Up 1

My wife must own stock in Lazada and Shoppe ..  delivery trucks are her 2-3 times a day ( plus the local postman )

Rule 1 is no matter who it's for  we use her phone # not mine ..    and she will usually tell them to just put it over the wall and slide it down  by the sliding gate  ..  for the times when I'm outside doing some gardening I will go and retrieve the package and it's usually them asking if the  addressed to  (my wifes name) is correct and the usual response from me is "Yes" ,,   any further chit chat  I just tap my ear  and shake my head like I don't hear / understand ( I do )   and that stops it cold ...