Family Mart Convenience Stores in Thailand to be Fully Rebranded to Tops Daily

webfact

4 hours ago, superal said:

Thanks for the recipe and mine is the same and but most of the time I prefer to use olive oil . Also it can be modified to make a Heinz type salad cream

By co-incidence, some plastic sauce bottles that I ordered from Lazada have just arrived, and a new batch of mayo was needed.   I also make my own Sriracha and Sweet Chilli sauces.

image.thumb.jpeg.6851d22bec41ecd3e70512f90c6d1818.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ac84f7e90b05f1d11062aa529193fe6a.jpeg

20230815_143012.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, retarius said:

What on earth is iconic about Family Market? A second string chain that can't compete with 7/11?

Indeed... From the OP:

"The number of FamilyMart branches in Thailand has declined drastically from 1,135 in 2017 to 409 in 2023. In contrast, its primary business rival, 7-Eleven, has more than 13,000 branches."

3 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:

I make it by hand. It works but you have to be very careful not to add too much oil in the beginning, so it is time consuming and labor intensive. But I haven't been able to find a good immersion blender yet.

Got mine on Lazada

3 hours ago, smedly said:

not sure about using raw egg without some sort of treatment, also - isn't there vinegar in mayo ? perhaps as a preservative and sanitizer 

Vinegar ? yes you can use it but the lemon or lime work well

12 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Anyone tried Tops Daily? is it the same inside as Familymart 

The only renamed one that I have been into had a slight makeover. Moved some shelves to get  another row in, and moved all the stock around so had to go looking for things that I normally went to directly.

Pretty much a 7-11, Mini Big C clone, but there does seem to be a lot more stocked jammed in.

There are some differences as a certain item I always bought pre Tops is now no longer stocked.

I get the impression it does have more choice than either of the other two, but not much. Mainly more bakery items.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phetphet said:

The only renamed one that I have been into had a slight makeover. Moved some shelves to get  another row in, and moved all the stock around so had to go looking for things that I normally went to directly.

Pretty much a 7-11, Mini Big C clone, but there does seem to be a lot more stocked jammed in.

There are some differences as a certain item I always bought pre Tops is now no longer stocked.

I get the impression it does have more choice than either of the other two, but not much. Mainly more bakery items.

the one near my house is quite convenient. Full inventory of most daily necessitiies, flour, pasta, stuff 7-11 doesn't carry. However, it's only a couple of hundred meters from Tops supermarket so there's not much point in going there

8 hours ago, smedly said:

not sure about using raw egg without some sort of treatment, also - isn't there vinegar in mayo ? perhaps as a preservative and sanitizer 

I use fresh eggs, and the lemon/lime juice adds an element of citrus that's not there with vinegar.   Homemade doesn't have preservatives obviously, nor the other more dubious ingredients of commercial mayo.

8 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:

I make it by hand. It works but you have to be very careful not to add too much oil in the beginning, so it is time consuming and labor intensive. But I haven't been able to find a good immersion blender yet.

I have a couple, this is the one that I use regularly:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/philips-daily-collection-promix-hr254300-i4507114712-s18281418698.html?from_gmc=1&exlaz=d_1:mm_150050845_51350205_2010350205::12:19668221003!!!!!c!!18281418698!120268644&gclid=CjwKCAjwxOymBhAFEiwAnodBLAFKCCB8S1p2ZqgvY9y0e4sk8dB-pbBVl_k0Yc1hLQBDb3-DT2wfghoC9DAQAvD_BwE

As I described, I use the blender attachment, not the whisk.   Everything goes into a jar together, and in less than 2 minutes you've got great mayo.   None of this drip feeding oil and aching arms crap!

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, retarius said:

Iconic, the most overused word in the media. What on earth is iconic about Family Market? A second string chain that can't compete with 7/11?

FamilyMart (not market) is iconic in Japan from where it originates. They are everywhere.

22 hours ago, brianburi said:

ah,yes that old favourite..... being called a farang by another farang.

Where are these places you write about......?

What would you like to be called? Immigrant? Oh that's right, immigrant is derogatory. The whimsical "ex-pat" then. Also I don't know what you're on about "places".

On 8/15/2023 at 3:10 AM, smedly said:

please stock a quality mayonaise - either Hellmanns or Kraft 

the local stuff is a horrible sugar filled mess

As others have said, making your own is ok. However, if you do not have the time try REAL Mayo. We buy it in Makro, it is in a 1 litre yellow soft plastic pack. Used it in the bar for years for making dips etc. 

8 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

As others have said, making your own is ok. However, if you do not have the time try REAL Mayo. We buy it in Makro, it is in a 1 litre yellow soft plastic pack. Used it in the bar for years for making dips etc. 

From memory the brand is Real Foods.

Same same as Hellmans.

"Hellmann's and Best Foods are American brand names that are used for the same line of mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard, sauce, salad dressing, condiments and other food products. They have been owned by the British multinational company Unilever since 2000. The Hellmann's brand is sold in the United States east of the Rocky Mountains; Latin America; Europe; Australia; the Middle East; Canada; India; and Pakistan. The Best Foods brand is sold in the United States west of the Rocky Mountains; in East Asia; Southeast Asia; Australia, and New Zealand."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellmann's_and_Best_Foods#:~:text=While Hellmann's Mayonnaise thrived on,a major plant in San

• Thanks 1

On 8/15/2023 at 3:10 AM, smedly said:

please stock a quality mayonaise - either Hellmanns or Kraft 

the local stuff is a horrible sugar filled mess

They probably would if there was a market for overpriced western products ... but there isn't.

Which I'm happy they don't, as keeps their overhead down, and hopefully that keeps the prices lower for things people actually need.

As suggested, simply make your own, it will be better anyway, 

Edited by KhunLA

1 hour ago, Paradise Pete said:

What would you like to be called? Immigrant? Oh that's right, immigrant is derogatory. The whimsical "ex-pat" then. Also I don't know what you're on about "places".

'Farang is derogatory and rarely will you hear it spoken from an educated Thai. 

Alien is fine by immigration here and ' non-Thai is de rigueur in print.....

Is English a second language?,  or just another Mr Thailand.........

On 8/15/2023 at 4:53 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Anyone tried Tops Daily? is it the same inside as Familymart 

I visited the converted shop at Soi Buakhao/Soi Lengkee first week of July. The choices were less than impressing. Had to walk over to 7/11 to fill the gap.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

There seem to be in Pattaya Big-CX, real mayonnaise frequently out of stock. 

Then demand would surely dictate stocking such products, and expected.

When they start discarding more than their profit margin ... oh well.

I saw this happen in Udon Thani before Villa Market arrived.  Chains took on the suggestion of stocking western products, then got rid of most them, as not profitable to bother with.

Our Makro here at Muang, PKK doesn't have nearly the amount of western brands as the one in Hua Hin, and quite understandable.

I'm actually surprised they keep as much dairy & cheeses in stock as they do.

Edited by KhunLA

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

They probably would if there was a market for overpriced western products ... but there isn't.

Which I'm happy they don't, as keeps their overhead down, and hopefully that keeps the prices lower for things people actually need.

As suggested, simply make your own, it will be better anyway, 

i have to get my mayo from bigger stores it would be nice and convenient to have it in ................................convenience shops

7/11 stocks western butter 

Edited by smedly

13 hours ago, brianburi said:

'Farang is derogatory and rarely will you hear it spoken from an educated Thai. 

Alien is fine by immigration here and ' non-Thai is de rigueur in print.....

Is English a second language?,  or just another Mr Thailand.........

Who told you Farang is derogatory? It may not be the hi-so term, but it is not an insult, though it can be used as one, just like many common terms.

--------------

The word "farang" is generally not considered a derogatory term in Thailand. It is a neutral word that is used to refer to foreigners, specifically those of European or American descent. However, the word can be used in a derogatory way, depending on the context. For example, if someone is using the word "farang" in a negative way, such as to insult or belittle a foreigner, then it could be considered offensive.

The word "farang" is thought to have originated from the Persian word "farangi", which means "Frank". The Franks were a Germanic tribe that ruled Western Europe in the Middle Ages. The word "farang" was first used in Thailand to refer to the French, who were the first Europeans to arrive in the country in the 17th century. Over time, the word "farang" came to be used to refer to all foreigners, regardless of their nationality.

Today, the word "farang" is a common word in Thailand. It is used in everyday conversation and in the media. In most cases, the word is used in a neutral way. However, it is important to be aware of the context in which the word is used, as it can sometimes be used in a derogatory way.

Edited by Paradise Pete