What's so good about Thailand?

bob smith

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

Love the weather.

Love the women.

Love the fact I can drive like an absolute lunatic.

Love the cheap health care which is very prompt.... no waiting lists here.

Love the temples.

etc etc etc.

Weather is too hot, meaning with too much humidity, and wet, miss the four seasons back home. Women are as beautiful as any on earth, but they , meaning the younger ones who are the targets here, look at foreigners as money more than anything else. All women cost, but here it's money first, love last. Driving like a lunatic anywhere shows complete disregard for anyone who's near a roadway, and that's proven daily here. Why join the ranks of the worse drivers on earth and become one? Temples are mostly the same, and after you've seen a few big ones, what's the deal?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Quite the contrary, I was very happy back in Texas, and only moved here to build a house for my now ex wife, who proved unworthy, and my child, who I will bring to a much better life as soon as possible.

Don't the schools there test all kids for firearms? 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

Don't the schools there test all kids for firearms? 

No, but it should happen, as there are lunatics around that target innocents. I was a gun salesman, and never had any problems with anyone regarding possession of guns, but it has gotten out of hand. I also made recommendations to raise the age of purchasing to 21, having detectors and if possible, armed guards at all schools, better background checks and a psychiatrists approval before purchase. Gun crime here is very high, and mass shootings are on the increase, so it's happening everywhere.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, bob smith said:

in your opinion, whats so good about living in Thailand?

Best place on the planet. 

You just got to stay away from negative, moaning, miserable foreigners. 

Oh, Yeh and politics and religion. 

Be happy people, life is great ????

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

No, but it should happen, as there are lunatics around that target innocents. I was a gun salesman, and never had any problems with anyone regarding possession of guns, but it has gotten out of hand. I also made recommendations to raise the age of purchasing to 21, having detectors and if possible, armed guards at all schools, better background checks and a psychiatrists approval before purchase. Gun crime here is very high, and mass shootings are on the increase, so it's happening everywhere.

My point was, I wouldn't want to send my kids to a school where there was a chance they were shot, doesn't happen in Thailand. More than one a day in the USA!!!!!! 

https://abcnews.go.com/US/mass-shootings-days-2023-database-shows/story?id=96609874

• Thumbs Up 2

30 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

miss the four seasons back home.  

Temples are mostly the same, and after you've seen a few big ones, what's the deal?

Def miss the seasons. Appalachian Spring was so dramatic, it had its own symphony. Rainy season here is my fave since the days at least do vary a bit.

I like the mix 'n match iconography of the temples, the way everything combines and overlaps, influenced by local taste and who the patron was. They are meant to be read (interpreted), not just looked at.

Thai wats are both broad-based Buddhist and very much site-specific. It was likely built on top of an animist power spot. And some of that old belief will be in the ornamentation (partic Naga/snakes). The mix of decorative elements gives you a shorthand into the old beliefs of that area, all still in place to some extent to this day.

Whereas churches and mosques are much more restrictive in their visual style and much less localized in its representation.

Edited by LaosLover

10 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

My point was, I wouldn't want to send my kids to a school where there was a chance they were shot, doesn't happen in Thailand. More than one a day in the USA!!!!!! 

https://abcnews.go.com/US/mass-shootings-days-2023-database-shows/story?id=96609874

Yes, and eventually they will get things straightened out. Do you remember the es cop here who killed 34, including 23 toddlers, then his wife and own son before taking his own life? Shootings happen here daily, as much per capita as the US. Just not as many mass shooting, yet. You don't hear about all of them because the media focuses on gold thefts, snakes in Bangkok houses and kids attacking others 5 against 1 with sticks.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Yes, and eventually they will get things straightened out. Do you remember the es cop here who killed 34, including 23 toddlers, then his wife and own son before taking his own life? Shootings happen here daily, as much per capita as the US. Just not as many mass shooting, yet. You don't hear about all of them because the media focuses on gold thefts, snakes in Bangkok houses and kids attacking others 5 against 1 with sticks.

1 in 30 years is not the same as 1 a day. 

Total nonsense, of course mass shootings  are heard about. 

In Scotland, 1 in the last 50 years, this is normal, the USA is an extremely dangerous place. 66% of adults are on prescribed drugs. 20% suffer from alcohol or drug addiction, etc etc

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, bob smith said:

in your opinion, whats so good about living in Thailand?

Thailand doesnt have democracy

I can't vote and politics are a Bangkok thing anyway 

This means there is no right to freedom of expression and human rights are not important.

As if that matters to the average expat

bureaucracy reigns supreme. it affects almost every aspect of daily life here.

90 day reporting.

Bureaucracy is a factor regardless the country, I find it impinges on my life very little and as for 90 day reporting and the annual extension, doesn't really register as a factor in anything

treated like a common criminal the minute we get off the plane.

Laughable

healthcare only good if you have money. if you are poor forget it.

Health care is good, there are multiple options and it's not that expensive, though I'm lucky not to be poor

its either hot or wet most of the year. 

The planet has weather, get over it - Thailand is in the tropics, did you not consult a map before travelling?

pollution is a serious issue and will kill you eventually

Depends where you live, little pollution to kill you down south 

alcohol prices rising fast. soon it will be comparable to the UK/US.

If you can't afford alcohol don't drink

institutional racism.

Give me a break

cant own land. etc etc etc

Why on earth would you be wanting land?

I've visited about 40 countries and lived and worked for at least a year in 10 of them. All countries have their positives and negatives, I've found Thailand to generally tick most of the boxes that matter to me, plus I found a woman that's willing to put up with me.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1

46 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

1 in 30 years is not the same as 1 a day. 

Total nonsense, of course mass shootings  are heard about. 

In Scotland, 1 in the last 50 years, this is normal, the USA is an extremely dangerous place. 66% of adults are on prescribed drugs. 20% suffer from alcohol or drug addiction, etc etc

Whatever you think about the US, the same sh*t happens here, and worse in many ways. Gun crime is very high here, as I stated. Mass shootings will continue to happen, as there is a very high drug abuse and depression rate in Thailand, and guns are very easy to acquire. There was also the one with the military man who killed 29 before he was shot.                                                                                                                             Drug use is as rampant as anywhere on earth.                                   Children raised by grandparents is the  highest of any country on earth.                                                             I lived in the US for 62 years, and never encountered danger in any way. I lived close to NYC for 30 years, and San Antonio for 31. Big cities with a lot of crime, like Bangkok, but never saw any.                                                   Thailand is among the top 3 in most dangerous places to drive, and won't change for quite a long time, if ever. Drug abuse in Thailand is the highest in Asia. The US does have a problem also I admit, about 14% or so, so no making excuses for them. More money, more cocaine usage. Thailand has an 88% of population of working class self medicating with OTC's. Very easy to get meds here that aren't available in the US also.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, bob smith said:

for me i struggle to find the positives. lets take a deep dive into the facts for a minute, shall we?

Thailand doesnt have democracy.

This means there is no right to freedom of expression and human rights are not important.

bureaucracy reigns supreme. it affects almost every aspect of daily life here.

90 day reporting. treated like a common criminal the minute we get off the plane.

healthcare only good if you have money. if you are poor forget it.

its either hot or wet most of the year. 

pollution is a serious issue and will kill you eventually. 

alcohol prices rising fast. soon it will be comparable to the UK/US.

institutional racism.

cant own land. etc etc etc

You wouldnt be a Brit by any chance would you Bob?

Thailand is a tropical paradise with beautiful, EASY petite women, delicious food and FUN people.

And cheap.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1