Thai Taxi Association’s controversial tips for satisfactory rides spark debate

snoop1130

I gave up with those green and yellow and equivalent taxi guys years ago, They are too hit and miss between good and bad cars and drivers.

I must admit I have used Grab but only when somebody else I am travelling with has called them.

Myself, whenever I am in Bangkok i am usually going from airport to airport or airport to city I pre book my cars. Those with a green reg plate from a car rental service company..

I always get a  Toyota fortuner or equivalent and I get a nice, safe, peaceful ride.

Yes, I pay more and it's worth it to me. But I still pay less than the limousine counters in the airport.

Unbelievable that they are so delusional that they are now trying to tell the public what to do and how to behave as well as tipping expectations .

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

I gave up with those green and yellow and equivalent taxi guys years ago, They are too hit and miss between good and bad cars and drivers.

I must admit I have used Grab but only when somebody else I am travelling with has called them.

Myself, whenever I am in Bangkok i am usually going from airport to airport or airport to city I pre book my cars. Those with a green reg plate from a car rental service company..

I always get a  Toyota fortuner or equivalent and I get a nice, safe, peaceful ride.

Yes, I pay more and it's worth it to me. But I still pay less than the limousine counters in the airport.

Unbelievable that they are so delusional that they are now trying to tell the public what to do and how to behave as well as tipping expectations .

You're dead right about the hit and miss aspect. Cars certainly vary but if you're patient or have enough time you can wait for a newer model. As for drivers that's another matter but I would say this is the same globally. I've been in taxis with absolute madmen behind the wheel to an old fella actually falling asleep at the lights in heavy traffic to really good drivers. Taxis are always luck of the draw.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 2

Too late to edit my above post but I do give some drivers a small tip at the end of the fare if it's been a good journey. Just round it up a bit i.e. bt95 fare I'll give them Bt100. Definitely not tipping the way it's stated in the OP.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

1. Stand on the correct side of the road to speed up the process and reduce the chance of taxi drivers refusing the fare.

Why would a taxi stop if your on the wrong side of the road, taxis should not refuse a fare, end of. I tried getting a taxi from nanna to my embassy one time, every one refused ''me only go airport'' basically the traffic was very heavy in the morning and they just didn't want to go that way. 

I ended up getting a M/C taxi and still got ripped off, but speeding along footpaths and cutting through hotel car parks was fun :crazy:

• Like 1

Tip them for taking a short cut? Shouldn't they be trying to take the shortest route to a destination?

They probably mean, "We will get extra money out of you one way or another. A circuitous route to run up the meter, or you pay us a tip.."

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, phetphet said:

They probably mean, "We will get extra money out of you one way or another. A circuitous route to run up the meter, or you pay us a tip.."

Official Phuket airport taxi refused my Google Map printout; drove round 'looking for' my hotel till the meter read 500 baht.  The return journey took less than TWO minutes!  Never been back.

One very weird aspect of Bangkok taxis now, and surely it must confuse tourists, is the light they display. In the real world, where logic applies, a red light would mean the taxi isn't for hire and a green one means that it is. But in la-la land both mean the taxi is available. And to confuse people even more, the driver might still refuse to take you as a passenger, no matter what light he has.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Stopping at ATM? Well I've been in taxis that need to fuel up. They do stop the meter and it's just a bit of bad luck for me but it happens so stopping at an ATM I can't see a problem as the driver will leave the meter ticking over.

Fuel up has been on my dime every time - any stop is a completed trip/pay and must restart meter to continue unless driver in agreement not to do so.  This is my experience over 5 decades.

Telling the driver where you want to go before you get in? I always do this as it's the Thai way.

Actually meter taxi rule was intended to end this practice - Thai being Thai often do ask but normally only if going out of the way or from commercial zones where drivers do not want to use meter.

So, yes I agree with some of this but a lot isn't the reality of how things go BUT not tipping. NO WAY.

Actually most Thai will tip up to next ten baht and with price currently a larger tips is always appreciated.  Taxi transport here is just about the cheapest in the world even with a few baht tip.

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

1. Stand on the correct side of the road to speed up the process and reduce the chance of taxi drivers refusing the fare.

It doesn't matter where you stand, when the taxi on a two lane road takes the outer lane and never looks along the inner lane where you're standing. Why are they in such a hurry to avoid getting a fare?

• Like 2

I avoid taxis to the greatest extent I can and use public transport or private cars when traveling into the city.   Ill never go to Phuket or Pattaya again due to the taxi issues.  There are many quite beaches that are accessible through bus or private cars.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The tips are as follows:

2. Ask before getting in to prevent any misunderstandings and to maintain proper etiquette.

3. Don’t forget to tip, especially if you have a lot of luggage or ask the driver to take shortcuts.

The above is amazing! 

Regarding point number 1, there is a rules that says a taxi driver is not permitted to refuse a fare. Therefore completely useless point. 

Point number two, is more for taxi drivers than for their customers, as they seem to have the biggest issues with the chip on shoulder attitude.

Point 3, has no relevance as tipping is always a free choice. Nothing any taxi driver is entitled to just for doing his work and provide a complete service.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NORDO said:

I avoid taxis to the greatest extent I can and use public transport or private cars when traveling into the city.   Ill never go to Phuket or Pattaya again due to the taxi issues.  There are many quite beaches that are accessible through bus or private cars.

in phuket we have some new taxi app's that are way cheaper and good service which I have used myself and all decent cars, one day a Fortuna came for me, then a new MG SUV 

I'm not sure if they still do it as I never use them now, but prior to Covid the taxis here in Samui used to add a 100 baht service charge.

They refuse to use the meter. In all my years both coming here and living here, I have never managed to get a taxi to use the meter.

I recently had a taxi driver cuss us out because my wife is Thai and he thought she was chinese, since chinese tip better he says, and taking Thai's is a waste of his time, wouldn't stop being annoying and complaining how we weren't going to tip big.  My wife said, well I wanted to get grab originally, and he said good next time get grab and don't bother him.  Also complained how we used meter since he could charge more for foreigners

• Like 1

Taxis in Thailand, especially Bangkok/Pattaya are scurge and a disgrace on the country. The wife who is Thai always comments on the disgraceful service they give, constant complaining about why you don't go further or take a toll way.

The lack of manners and general politness seems to be the norm. I know you may get a good one but most are awful. And before the 'you must be new here brigade' start spouting, thats 23 years experience. Taxis in China are much better, cheaper and more relaible. Taxis in the UK are better, more reliable but more expensive.

The TAT should look at the Taxis as this is the first impression and mostly the impression is disgraceful. Out with the taxi mafia!

We haven't had a story about a taxi driver finding 3 million baht on the back seat of his car and handing it in. I am sure we will soon.:cheesy:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

One very weird aspect of Bangkok taxis now, and surely it must confuse tourists, is the light they display. In the real world, where logic applies, a red light would mean the taxi isn't for hire and a green one means that it is. But in la-la land both mean the taxi is available. And to confuse people even more, the driver might still refuse to take you as a passenger, no matter what light he has.

....and sometimes even with a red or green light, when you wave/hail them, they switch the light off.

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

Just use grab or uber or bolt 

No Uber in Thailand for 4 years - Grab took over their business.

Edited by samtam

21 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

3. Don’t forget to tip, especially if you have a lot of luggage or ask the driver to take shortcuts.

Why tip if the driver doesn't help with the luggage?

My experience is that taxi drivers usually want to 'take the highway' if the destination is not close, which often makes the distance longer (even though it circumvents jams). As for "location is difficult for a regular taxi to reach", what does that even mean; that drivers don't have knowledge how to get from A to B, which, in many countries, is required to get a taxi license? Not only do drivers ask the passengers for the way, but they also do not speak or understand English. Thank god there's Grab and Bolt these days...

Edited by StayinThailand2much