Electric car fire: Week-old million baht vehicle ignites in Udon Thani mall

webfact

4 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

That’s a good example.

It wasn’t caused by an EV fire.

After the fire on the car cargo ship off the Dutch coast, the media hastily identified an electric car as the cause. Now it turns out – that this is not true.

Even though the cause of the fire is still unknown, the EV theory no longer holds up after the freighter was inspected. The lower four of the twelve decks are essentially undamaged, and about 1,000 cars, including the 498 electric ones, are in good condition. This is according to the chief of salvage company Royal Boskalis Westminster NV, Peter Berdowski.

According to the head of the salvage company, the four uppermost decks, on which there were no electric cars, are so damaged that it is hard to walk on them and that the vehicles there (again, no EVs!) are literally fused to the ground. The affected carmakers are now investigating how their vehicles can be moved.

Source electrive.com

"Even though the cause of the fire is still unknown"

Your quote undermines your definitive statement that EVs were not the cause.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, transam said:

With petrol cars it is usually fuel line erosion/problem under the bonnet, fuel pump keeps pumping to keep up with the flow, equals fire.

Must be near 50 years back, driving on the M4 in London, in my Ford Granada V6, could smell petrol, pulled over, lifted the hood to find the brass hose connector that is pressed into the carb had come out ......????

The engine V was full of petrol, I was expecting the worst, it was steaming, luckily I had rag in the boot to try and soke it up before it ignited, I was lucky, but a dodgy moment, indeed. Undid the hose, whacked the fitting back in to get me home... ????

Now if it were an EV battery problem, it would be, just walk away....????

I also had a problem like that on the M4. I was travelling from London to Port Talbot (heading west).

Mine was in a Ford Zephyr 6. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I can only post as I find, the article posted says that whilst the cause of the fire is unknowm, it was not caused by an EV.  That doesn't undermine my post. 

What does undermine it is the link posted by "in the jungle" which cleary shows burned Porsche Taycan's.  Until June this year, I owned a Taycan for 2 years and I can confirm those cars are indeed Porsche Taycans.  My Taycan never caught fire.

I am not suggesting that Porsche Taycans caused the fire on the Fremantle Highway.  But they certainly were on the ship and they burnt to the ground; or deck more accurately.

Maybe you should re-read your previous claims on this matter.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, In the jungle said:

I am not suggesting that Porsche Taycans caused the fire on the Fremantle Highway.  But they certainly were on the ship and they burnt to the ground; or deck more accurately.

Maybe you should re-read your previous claims on this matter.

As I said before, your Porsche Taycan photos does negate the claims in the article I posted.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, rocketboy2 said:

yes. Also age of vehicle.

Don't see many 20 year old Tesla cars on the roads.

Good reason, started selling only 14 yrs ago.  Batteries for your calculator can be found on LAZ.

"From 2008 to 2012, only 2,500 were produced and sold in 30 countries. Today, it's estimated that only about 1,500 Roadsters are still on the roads in the U.S"

source

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, billd766 said:

But all the ICE vehicles are lumped together and not separated as gasoline, diesel. LPG/NGV and PHEV hybrids, so it is not a true comparison as like for like. To get a true like for like  the ICE needs to be split into separate groupings.

Let's start with cis-ICE.

ICE - Internal Combustion Engine ... they all are.  Use a flammable fuel, this is ignited by a spark, in the engine, with way too many parts that can malfunction, and emits exhaust.   What's not to understand.

Only difference is some cost more to operate, maintain, and pollute more.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

The figure of 5 fires per 1.6 billion kilometers was for EV's in general.

Using these numbers and with 12,000 Atto 3 on the road in Thailand each driving 8,000 km yearly we should see a BYD fire ever 3.3 years.

Anything more than that and the statistics is lying. Time will tell.

BYD Atto 3 is currently the best-selling car in Thailand for the years 2022 and 2023. As of March 20, 2023, BYD has sold 12,000 Atto 3 vehicles in Thailand

12 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Using these numbers and with 12,000 Atto 3 on the road in Thailand each driving 8,000 km yearly we should see a BYD fire ever 3.3 years.

BYD Atto 3 is currently the best-selling car in Thailand for the years 2022 and 2023. As of March 20, 2023, BYD has sold 12,000 Atto 3 vehicles in Thailand

I think a lot less than that, maybe every 15 months.

You need to allow for new registrations, they are selling like hot cakes.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, billd766 said:

How about purely diesel vehicles as a separate section in ICE, also purely LPG/NGV vehicles as distinct from lumping them all together as ICE?

How about by colour too?

There are 2 types of fire, fuel system and electrical.  We can postulate that diesel is likely to be safer as it's less inflammable and Petrol & Gas are likely to have higher figures.

But let's be realistic.  If you don't like the figures posted (which are government figures) then the onus is on you to find the figures you want, i.e. by fuel type, by age etc.

• Sad 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

interesting numbers!

how do you get the result 3.3 years? shouldn't it be 33.3 years? 

thanks for the clarification ...

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

- Hybrid cars had 3474 fires per 100,000 

- Petrol cars had 1,530 fires per 100,000

- EVs had just 25 fires per 100,000 

I think that maybe misleading - all the other cars have been mass produced for years. Quality will drop as the price drops, and more faults will appear- come back in 20 years and lets see the difference.

Plus I think it more likely future charging stations will explode than patrol stations !

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, rocketboy2 said:

yes. Also age of vehicle.

Don't see many 20 year old Tesla cars on the roads.

Those stats are available for ICE cars...

The 12 Most Shocking Car Fire Statistics

1. There were 212,500 vehicle fires in 2018.
  2. The number of vehicle fires went up slightly between 2018 and 2019.
  3. Older vehicles are the most likely to catch on fire.
  4. The national average is one fire per 19 million miles driven.
  5. Vehicle file fires have fallen by more than 80% since 1980.
  6. Passenger vehicles had the most fires.
  7. Highway fires are the most common between 3:00 and 6:00 PM.
  8. 1988 was the worst year for highway vehicle fires on record.
  9. In 2018, vehicle fires resulted in 560 deaths.
  10. Vehicle fires cause more deaths than apartment fires.
  11. Most casualties involving vehicle fires are male.
  12. Collisions are the leading cause of vehicle fires resulting in death.

More than 3/4 of vehicle fires begin in older cars due to a mechanical malfunction or an electrical problem. Unfortunately, the fires don’t start because of poor design, but because parts wear out and deteriorate, so it’s essential to have your car inspected regularly, especially the wiring, as the car ages. In 2017, 70% of the cars to catch fire were more than 10 years old.

Currently, the national average is one fire per 19 million miles driven; however, some car models hold up better than others, so you might want to do extra research before purchasing something new. For instance, Tesla has released data from 2012 to 2020 that reveals its cars have a fire every 205 million miles, proving that they are more than 10 times less likely to catch fire than the average vehicle.

Collisions are the leading cause of vehicle fires resulting in death.

(National Fire Protection Association)

Most deaths associated with vehicle fires occur after a collision. The accident often causes gasoline and other combustible materials to leak over the roadway. Heat and sparks then ignite these materials, causing the fire.

source: 12 Car Fire Statistics (2023 Update) | House Grail

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1