Electric car fire: Week-old million baht vehicle ignites in Udon Thani mall

webfact

2 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

The mini was created by Sir Alec Issigonis, it's not a descriptive term, it's a Model.

You don't have to tell me who the designer was...........????

Austin 7

Morris Mini Minor........................????

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, transam said:

I don't have a car now, the Celerio belongs to Mrs. T, but I do drive it at times, and take care of it............????

You & your Celerio seem very happy together.  Not sure I'm buying the 'quiet as a mouse on the road' part though.  Our Vios & Mazda, I thought were much better built, and noisy on the road.

A boy & his Celerio

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, transam said:

All cars have a part from China, Celerio, as you said "Parts"............????

MG is 100% Chinese using MG history to sell, have you forgotten "Since 1924", already........????

The Mini is a BMW creation, I don't think I have ever seen a BMW mini with Morris or Austin on it, they use the word Mini, which isn't the name of the original mini either, I had an Austin 7 "Mini"..????

The mini is a BMW purchase of yet another failing Brit line of auto, looks good, and good sales, same as MG, after someone took over the reins of the company.

I see the 'CountryMan' model here quite a bit.  

image.png.119abab185bee16be8bb6602a88b9645.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, KhunLA said:

The mini is a BMW purchase of yet another failing Brit line of auto, looks good, and good sales, same as MG, after someone took over the reins of the company.

I see the 'CountryMan' model here quite a bit.  

image.png.119abab185bee16be8bb6602a88b9645.png

They bought the remains of Austin-Rover........Their "Mini" is a 100% BMW creation, knowing the could earn with the Mini thing.

Cooper, Cooper S, countryman are all model names............

Just now, JBChiangRai said:

Yes, sad BMW have to use Mini history & Union Jack lights etc to sell it, since 19xx?

They have created their own Mini retro style, Union Jack lights, oh you see that from behind when one brakes.

I have not read a BMW ad regarding mini history, or seen Austin and Morris mentioned, though I have no interest in it....

Perhaps John Cooper's lot got a bung too from BMW.......:smile:

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

The mini is a BMW purchase of yet another failing Brit line of auto,

Britain has long ago moved away from production as they discovered, as did GM, that there is more money in finance than production. Porsche did the same but somehow caught out and had to sell production to VW.

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

So one questionable EV car fire in Bahn Nork and there goes my no claims bonus?

I would have thought that a car catching fire, leading to a RoRo ship carrying several hundreds (thousand?) Itself burning, would constitute a significant number - and possibly lead to higher premiums, if only for the shippers, and very likely reflected throughout the spectrum of insurance.

I also suspect that the risk of fire for ICE vehicles increases considerably with age and wear. Electric vehicles, being newer, perhaps we don't yet have the full picture.

Incidentally, I have no "skin in this game", I currently don't own a car, internal combustion, electric or pedal!

I do have a 120cc petrol motorbike and am contemplating one of those cheap as chips electric bikes on Lazada, range will be critical, to be of any use for me it has to be good for 30km.

I might invest in an "old banger" next year, when my pension cuts in.

Edited by herfiehandbag

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

No I don't....  But, I am completely open minded on this.

As you've disagreed with every stat presented thus far - perhaps you could find something ?

So we are now looking for: 

ICE fires per 1,000,000 km travelled (or measurable metric)

EV fires per 1,000,000 km travelled (or measurable metric)

China made EV fires per 1,000,000 km travelled (or measurable metric)

What a lot of crap some people are going on with. The car was stationary. It was being charged at Level 3 station. what charge rate did he select?. Problem is Lithium battery, need to follow correct procedure. Just as you need to do when filling an ICE car.  

• Confused 2

6 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Latest from BYD/RÊVER :

Make of it what you will:

Dear all customers (2nd edition)

Progress update on BYD ATTO 3 electric car case. Smoke occurred in the front bonnet area while charging DC at that charging station. Today BYD and Rewe engineers team have expedited inspection of all systems, equipment to fully find the cause of the incident in this case.

Preliminary findings from the BYD and REVE engineering team. After checking the exterior of the front bonnet area, damage was found around the wiring kit connected to the 12 volt battery which could have caused heat, resulting in damage to the AC ducts causing the AC fluid to leak and smoke from the A/C that was mixed with the heat in the area but no flame.

In parts of other systems, such as the Control Module, which uses the high-voltage battery, wiring kit and connectors, the high-volume battery, were not damaged. However, BYD and RAVE's engineering teams are speeding up the investigation to find more evidence in all vehicles' systems with full confidence.

Next step, BYD and REVE prepare to introduce new spare parts, change and replace damaged parts until the car can enter ON mode and activate normally so that the special tool can further analyze the car's performance in detail.

Does this mean all will be covered under warranty or are they looking for a way out?

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Why would YOUR no claims bonus be affected by someone else making a claim? It doesn't work like that. Typically a risk rating will be applied to the model of car and that rating will form part of the risk assessment for everyone who insures that model of car. 

But yes, it is a possibility given Thailand's safety standards for maintaining things like charging stations and the vehicles themselves. It's early days but if these incidents become frequent then I would expect premiums for the models that are burning themselves out due to floods, dodgy charging stations, dodgy maintenance, dodgy batteries etc. to rise.

Insurance rates on EVs is higher because even the slightest damage to the battery module means replacement.

• Sad 2

On 9/4/2023 at 12:14 PM, webfact said:

week-old electric car costing over a million baht, suddenly caught fire

Like most car fires in Thailand I reckon he had some Dodgy auto electrician fit/install some bling or similar (something useless) and this has caused the fire 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I’m more inclined to worry how I would sell the EV vehicle if it was kept by the owner too long or clocked up 100k, who’s gonna buy a worthless car that potentially  may need a 4 to $8,000 battery replacement 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, twizzian said:

I’m more inclined to worry how I would sell the EV vehicle if it was kept by the owner too long or clocked up 100k, who’s gonna buy a worthless car that potentially  may need a 4 to $8,000 battery replacement 

You need to do some research, battery life is about 20 years.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Like most car fires in Thailand I reckon he had some Dodgy auto electrician fit/install some bling or similar (something useless) and this has caused the fire 

I did wonder about that.

years ago I had an auto electrician fit something in my Vigo, they called me to say they couldn’t start the engine. 

main Toyota dealer collected it and couldn’t fix it either, they flew up a guy from Toyota in Bangkok, they stripped the car, completely dashboard out seats out everything out you name it, and eventually found it was something as simple as the accelerator pedal which was drive-by wire and the auto electrician has accidentally shorted that out and burnt out the potentiometer on the foot pedal.

The main dealer was very good about it and only charge me a few thousand baht, even though they had the car for three weeks.

• Thumbs Up 2

56 fires/billion miles - ICE (US data, 100% correct) 

5 fires/billion miles - EV (US, mostly Tesla and Western brands)

90 fires/billion miles - EV (Mainly Chinese made EVs, unverified data)

If the below news are true, we are in for a hot ???? EV season in 2024.

To summarize, 2,720 EV fires out of 6 million registred cars. 

https://batteriesnews.com/7-battery-electric-cars-day-catch-fire-china-most-involved-brands

If anyone can find better and more reliable data for China, please share.