The state of your average expat in Thailand.

bob smith

I find that many expats live in Thailand because they couldn’t make it in their own countries.  And they blame their home countries and everything else for their misfortunes. 
They come to Thailand thinking they are going to get a free ride.  Many have barebones income.  And little to no health insurance. 
And the main interest for many seems to be booze. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, bob smith said:

Is it just me or is the average expat that lives in Thailand a loser?

most of them seem to have severe mental problems,

alcoholism/drug abuse is rampant.

Now I am no angel. I like a drink and have been known to dabble in substances in the past

but these guys are on another level.

I feel quite uneasy when I chat to a fellow expat, especially in a bar setting.

They always have a story.

most of them come off as con men/wrong uns,

maybe its the places that I frequent, i dont know.

but Thailand is full of farang losers.

People who western women wouldnt look twice at but here they think they are james bond.

What a sorry state of affairs. 

So you hang around men in bars do you? If you're married, then that might be the safest option.

I don't so I couldn't say for sure but I'm not surprised  by what you say.

16 minutes ago, bignok said:

Grange? Not many buy it and its overrated.

Penfolds Grange is one of the best reds around. Many do buy it but it's very expensive and not worth the price, nor is any other bottle of wine, unless it's a rare antique from a log time ago. I had a 1953 Chateau Latour back in 1980 or so that was, and still is, the best red I've ever had. Was it worth the $250 (I didn't pay that much) it retailed for? No, no wine is worth that much, although the price does go on availability, a good vintage year and name. It costs between $1,400 to $3,500 mainly because it's rare now.A Penfolds Grange for 24 K? Those that can afford to drink a wine like that, besides the few millionaires that have invented something useful, have made money either illegally or by raping the earth's resources or using people.

4 minutes ago, swm59nj said:

I find that many expats live in Thailand because they couldn’t make it in their own countries.  And they blame their home countries and everything else for their misfortunes. 
They come to Thailand thinking they are going to get a free ride.  Many have barebones income.  And little to no health insurance. 

I wonder where some get these stats from. Is there a website that lists why people move here and the true reasons? I know about 60 here and they all are pretty okay as far as resources. The one's I know I ask questions about say the same things. Granted, a lot do drink, but that's the national pastime here and many other places also.

2 hours ago, paddypower said:

what strikes me about your post is, what are you doing in Thailand? Nothing wrong with choosing a new country from the one you were born in?. This is the 3rd country my wife and I moved to. Simple reasons: fell in love with the people, the food, the lack of regulations (compared to Canada). One country we choose was Mexico, learned the basic language, loved the culture and food. But instinctively, we knew that our personal safely would always be at risk (especially if one got mistaken for an American).  it was  But there has got to be a number of compelling reasons reasons to move. One think I never understand, is, if you choose to live with a Thai girlfriend, or marry, it is difficult to understand why you wouldn't bother to learn Thai and integrate.?  what is the point of planning a life for a life long relationship, if you cannot communicate properly. ?

My gf can speak both Thai and English .    The problem is ............. her sentences contain an equal amount of each language .   

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tropposurfer said:

The term "loser" denotes a moral judgement of another. Usually such judgements are made without any in depth knowledge of the life experiences of the judged or if some degree of info liberally sprinkled with lots of imagined things about the other. Usually based in out-of-awareness thinking and inherited social and familial bias's.

If my hypothesis is factually based then those who direct the term at others may be considered uninformed at the very least, and projecting a tonne in some form at best.

I guard at making moral judgements of others or comparisons based on MY life experience and NOT theirs, and thus their value and credibility as human beings (I do falter, sometimes way to often for my own integrity and make similar judgements e.g. he's not s real man, so and so is stupid, they're poor, or poor looking and so less-than, people with money are up themselves, Falang culture is superior to others, he or she isn't appropriate in their gender behaviour - too effeminate to soft and gentle to be a 'real' man).

The saying goes… “The other person is you”. 

3 hours ago, swm59nj said:

Why are you here? 

3 hours ago, swm59nj said:

And you.........?  ????

12 hours ago, bob smith said:

Now I am no angel. I like a drink and have been known to dabble in substances in the past

People who western women wouldnt look twice at but here they think they are james bond.

You always see what your social circle is made of.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, I'm an alcoholic but retired from the Army as an E-7, so don't think of myself as a loser. One thing I have noticed, though. I served 18 months in Vietnam while America was still there. I was a personnel sergeant, which means, basically, office worker. I had a friend here who was stationed in the Delta as an avionics repairmen. I've met an uncountable number of guys who were Special Forces, Marine LRRPs, Rangers, Delta Force, or other exotic combat types, although I know that at least 70% of American soldiers are support people, not grunts. I even met one guy who bragged about being assigned to Operation Phoenix, not realizing he was confessing to being a serial murderer. I've sometimes wondered why that was, but I don't live in Bangkok any more so no longer run into those kinds of guys.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bob smith said:

It's a shyte state of affairs, and all the fresh air in the world won't make any bluddy difference.

• Haha 1

I see it too Bob.  But as to the reasons, I came to a different conclusion than you. 

My experience indicates you are seeing the profound result of those who have been fooled by pretenders and their feel good poisons of which you named a few.

A few years ago I upgraded to omipotently created food, water, medicine, soap and the miraculous transformation of physical and mental prowess returned quickly.  God created a magic elixor just for you called urine.  The tap is ready antime you wish to experience it  Are you game?

• Like 2

Parable of the two villages

A man who was traveling came upon a farmer working in his field and asked him what the people in the next village were like. The farmer asked "What were the people like in the last village you visited?" The man responded "They were kind, friendly, generous, great people." "You'll find the people in the next village are the same," said the farmer.

Another man who was traveling to the same village came up to the same farmer somewhat later and asked him what the people in the next village were like. Again the farmer asked "What were the people like in the last village you visited?" The second man responded, "They were rude, unfriendly, dishonest people." "You'll find the people in the next village are the same," said the farmer.

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, bob smith said:

I usually dont keep any company, but people like talking to me for some reason.

Maybe its the rolex and they think they can tap me up for a pint or 2...

You could do us all a favour and wear a T-shirt: "I'm Bob Smith from Asean Now" so we can avoid inadvertently talking to you.

I don't have a lot of time for sanctimonious, bigoted, self-righteous people who think they are better than everyone else. An attitude like that puts you beneath the people you're criticizing.

• Thumbs Up 2