You sold everything!

georgegeorgia

I don't really plan anything anymore, any plans I had mostly were bolloxxxes up one way or another. If it wasn't for chance and taking a punt I'd still be stuck in the small town in England renting a room and living it week to week.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I succeded, I retired at 47, now I have safety assets spread out. I have my future options separate, and I call that plan a, b and c. I'm committed in Thailand, but not stupid. 

So just bum around for 30 years in Thailand?

• Confused 2

Thought about it what should I do.

In "my" country, leaving it empty, probably unwanted people in it and/or trashed.

Still have to pay local tax, insurance, road & water tax, and filling tax form which would give me some advantage (get some money back). House empty, it will go down in state. Repairs will come up.

Have to find someone trustworthy, checking property and pay for it. It is all lose.

If I would rent it out, all of the above is still there, though I can split local tax and road&water tax is for renter. However what kind of renter? You can have an awful renter. They can totally break down your house or just dont pay. See tv program about it of properties in UK.

Or you have someone starting to grow cannabis or anything else. Or you have 20 people in the house.

As I rent it out, I have to pay tax again on income and also extra on broker who takes care of renting out the house. I dont think, it would be profitable. It could work if you know someone REAL well.

But also that can change. So probably, I will sell.

Going back home again? I dont think so, it is getting worse here already. I have to decide if I really leave now, time until 2027. Moving to side country would already improve my status.

Thailand? not sure as they are changing now real fast, negative. Philippines maybe?

Beautiful country, with the (SRRV) visa you can even work (if you want).

Going back for medical treatment? Makes no sense and you have to pay yourself, as you dont have an insurance anymore in home country.

Maybe then would go to India. It seems even Americans from USA, go to India, as it is cheaper.

Imagine they have to fly all the way and back and still cheaper. Red it once , long time ago, not knowing if it is still like that.

Mostly all doctors in India did their experiences in USA or other "high class" hospitals in other parts of the world. They then go back to India being a doctor, western trainend.  

• Thumbs Up 1

We talk of those who sold everything there,  to come here.

But look at it the other way and the day you will need to sell it all here to go back there !!

Avoid making the same mistakes on the other way round.

Dont' clutter with excessive stuff just because it's cheaper here.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, bignok said:

Why do you do in Thailand? 

Im living a good retired life at the farm! The downside, to much at AN and answering stupid replies and kept busy in way to many topics for the reward of very few who actually contribute with positivity and common sense. 

The bonus is the confused emotions, then you know you should step up to game and check your spelling once more, or you managed to provoke someone who deserved it. 

small insecure men use confused emotions, while real men do not give a ...... ????

Edited by Hummin
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Hummin said:

Im living a good retired life at the farm! The downside, to much at AN and answering stupid replies and kept busy in way to many topics for the reward of very few who actually contribute with positivity and common sense. 

The bonus is the confused emotions, then you know you should step up to game and check your spelling once more, or you managed to provoke someone who deserved it. 

So bumming on a farm for 20 years. Most would go mad.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Thought about it what should I do.

In "my" country, leaving it empty, probably unwanted people in it and/or trashed.

Still have to pay local tax, insurance, road & water tax, and filling tax form which would give me some advantage (get some money back). House empty, it will go down in state. Repairs will come up.

Have to find someone trustworthy, checking property and pay for it. It is all lose.

If I would rent it out, all of the above is still there, though I can split local tax and road&water tax is for renter. However what kind of renter? You can have an awful renter. They can totally break down your house or just dont pay. See tv program about it of properties in UK.

Or you have someone starting to grow cannabis or anything else. Or you have 20 people in the house.

As I rent it out, I have to pay tax again on income and also extra on broker who takes care of renting out the house. I dont think, it would be profitable. It could work if you know someone REAL well.

But also that can change. So probably, I will sell.

Going back home again? I dont think so, it is getting worse here already. I have to decide if I really leave now, time until 2027. Moving to side country would already improve my status.

Thailand? not sure as they are changing now real fast, negative. Philippines maybe?

Beautiful country, with the (SRRV) visa you can even work (if you want).

Going back for medical treatment? Makes no sense and you have to pay yourself, as you dont have an insurance anymore in home country.

Maybe then would go to India. It seems even Americans from USA, go to India, as it is cheaper.

Imagine they have to fly all the way and back and still cheaper. Red it once , long time ago, not knowing if it is still like that.

Mostly all doctors in India did their experiences in USA or other "high class" hospitals in other parts of the world. They then go back to India being a doctor, western trainend.  

Philippines ???????? is good ,don't base your opinions on a few bad cities , a lot of places such as Baguio ,Palawan ,  Duamegette etc are nice 

20 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Who now has  NO residence ,no house back in farangland where they came from 

We almost did exactly that. Had a sale agreement & at the last minute the person decided maybe rent would be good to decide for sure & after I thought about it I agreed.

Seven years later 2016 we decided the current coup/junta was different & we wanted to move home.

Well house mortgage was pretty well paid off so we moved back in & paid the small balance off.

Lived rent free since

But the best part is the home is now more than 3x the appraised value it was when we were about to sell. All just by sheer luck as we really thought as most do that we would never go back & while we knew it was a bad time to sell we didn't know how much the value would increase in the coming years.

Funny truth is we still have our home in Thailand & go back each year for 3 months.

We are getting ready to go again next month. Each year we wonder but this year we really want to decide about moving back there or not. So again we will be faced with the same question...Sell all or not ????

We are older now so if we move back we do not think we would want to do it all again moving back to falangland so we wonder about many things like of course health insurance although we are fit or even just Thailand's lack of consistency about pretty much anything like the recent tax deal or immigration

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Finspin said:

I’ve found this thread fascinating,

I’m a 66 year old divorced male with a decent UK pension, renting the same flat for over 20 years after my divorce. I’ve been a regular tourist visitor to Thailand for the past 10 years and love the country. The cost of living in the UK has become ridiculous. So I’ve decided to investigate the possibility of living in Thailand a retired expat. Just started the visa process for a 90 stay arriving in December. My condo in Jomtiem is booked at a third of what I pay in rent for my flat. 
if I can live as an expat during that 3 month stay, I will unravel my life in the UK and commence the process of moving to Thailand permanently. If I live as a tourist, then I will continue residing in the UK.

Selling my car and large ticket items will be a pain, but I’m willing to leave them, after all it’s just stuff, which I can accumulate slowly if I return permanently.

Obviously health issues have to come into the equation. I’m certain that I can cover most costs. If it’s something very threatening and costly, then I’ve probably reached my expiry date.

Cant wait to start the experiment.

Do it and good luck.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not quite retired yet, but when I do have no intention to sell my house on the coast in Australia 

Already have nice place in TH so no financial reason to, but primarily because I don’t fancy being in TH 12mth/yr particularly march-june

have spent a lot of time in TH over the years to form that opinion, I get the impression a lot go all in when retired and move here having not spent enough time here prior to see if that’s really the best option for them 

24 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

you need farang interaction otherwise you may go slowly mad, people do lose it with the isolation

I'm good, no worries. If I Need foreigners I have som loose nuts in range from the farm, meet up with someone I know is on the road touring, meet up with my few friends spread out in Thailand for a short visit, or just pack up for a stay in Homeland and work if I feel I Need an atmosphere and an reality check.

Quality life with enough contrasts makes a good life.

I think I would had lost it in Pattaya, if I lived there to long. Different breed need different environments.

Edited by Hummin

I kept a house in New Zealand for after I moved here, steady rental income at (varied on currency exchange rate) 12-14,000 baht a week (taxable in NZ), leased a storage unit for the same period.  Went back for the first time in 2014 and reviewed what i had store, any sentimental value had expired, cut down to a few items to be stored securely in a friend's house, sold the rest apart from one 30kg suitcase I brought back with me.

Have since sold the house, happier with money in the bank, as it neared 20 years old there was extensive maintenance due I wasn't keen on arranging from another country. No intention of ever returning, I stopped going back for contract work in August 2022, no family ties there now and have a few friends who like to visit us more than i like to visit NZ.

15 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Philippines ???????? is good ,don't base your opinions on a few bad cities , a lot of places such as Baguio ,Palawan ,  Duamegette etc are nice 

Once i was working on it, Was busy buying a house in Sorsogon.

Then the woman, I ought to know(NOT), had no intention of helping hand, fought me.

So that was the end of the relation and end of house in Phil.

As in Phil, you also cant own land.

Have been in Manila, Palawan, Bohol , Borocay, Legaspi, Sorsogon

Driving from Legaspi to Sorsogon really made me enthusiastic. Really incredible landscapes.

Legaspi Sorsogon are nice little "towns". But the dream went up in flames of woman who changed her mind.. Duterte is gone now, however, president now is a Marcos family relative again. Good or bad?

On 9/22/2023 at 2:12 PM, BE88 said:

Yes, I sold it ten years ago at a good price and now I can buy it again whenever I want without problems. But I'll wait a little longer because prices will collapse. So it was a good deal and now it will be a good deal again.

You sold what and where?

Real estate is 2-3X higher than 10 years ago.

You lost money and real estate prices will never go down even this stupid inflation because people can just rent it out for huge profits as the rents have gone just as much.

52 minutes ago, Celsius said:

You sold what and where?

Real estate is 2-3X higher than 10 years ago.

You lost money and real estate prices will never go down even this stupid inflation because people can just rent it out for huge profits as the rents have gone just as much.

Wrong in the country where selling prices have fallen by 50% and therefore I got a deal if I buy now but the future is not rosy in Europe for home sellers so I think I'll make another deal waiting for the situation to deteriorate further more.

Don't worry about me, thanks.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BE88 said:

Wrong in the country where selling prices have fallen by 50% and therefore I got a deal if I buy now but the future is not rosy in Europe for home sellers so I think I'll make another deal waiting for the situation to deteriorate further more.

Don't worry about me, thanks.

Nah, you are lying. Nowhere in Europe have selling prices fallen by 50%.

But of course you can tell us which amazing value country that is so us peasants from aseannow can caosider it. But i don't think you will....because it does not exist.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Celsius said:

But of course you can tell us which amazing value country that is so us peasants from aseannow can caosider it. But i don't think you will....because it does not exist.

Some prospects in some areas is status Q, and the marked haven't moved much or at all. Especially  farm land in districts, you can get 1000 rai for 6 million baht, and it is the same around many countries in Europe. In Portugal can get farmland in the mountains for give away prices.

9 minutes ago, Celsius said:

You make me laugh with your stupid comment, you know nothing and you allow yourself to call me a liar.

Jealousy makes you take bad steps.

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1