UK pensioners flock to luxury retirement resorts in Thailand

webfact

The state pension doesn't even come into this.

A million or so goes a long way in retirement.

It's kind of unfortunate that these people will be taxed to death from next year - because all that money they're bringing is not from state pensions, it will be from investment income, sale of property, etc - all of which they apparently plan to tax.

Sounds like an advertising campaign for these rest homes at 72 living on my own I can take care of myself in my beachfront house on KP not sure if I  want to be surrounded by people of my age or older as I’m still fit enough to have a good night out didn’t get in until 3 this morning 😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hope those U.K. pensioners realise that there OAP is now frozen as they’ve moved to Thailand if they pay £1,500 a month each plus they need spending money that would take them up to around £2,000 a month the OAP doesn’t cover the cost as it’s less than £11,000 per year and that’s if your on the new pension which was introduced in 2016 !

1 hour ago, Enoon said:

Yeah, sure UK pensioners are "flocking" to Thailand to pay £1500 a month......with UK State Pension at £883 (taxable) a month.

Typical Daily Mail advertorial BS.

Not everyone is solely reliant on UK state pensions. People have private pension, equity in houses, savings etc. 

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, ukrules said:

It's kind of unfortunate that these people will be taxed to death from next year - because all that money they're bringing is not from state pensions, it will be from investment income, sale of property, etc - all of which they apparently plan to tax.

The U.K. has a tax agreement with Thailand so pensioners are protected I pay U.K. taxes still after living here for 18 years 

• Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, Thumbs said:

Flocking really when gbp is down to 43 baht? Chiang mai will likely kill any residents with breathing difficulties 

£1500 a month seems very reasonable but then need to add in the 800,000 per person for the visa which will probably be a nightmare for the family to get out of the bank when someone dies, the uk isnt great but has the national health service which is free, any inevitable age related illnesses will put a serious dent in a retirees savings 

My good friends wife is getting a 'free" knee replacement on the NHS. She has only been waiting 8 years for it.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Where their pension are forever frozen and soon to be taxed... 

Many retirees may soon be looking for pastures new.

Their pensions are already taxed in the UK ... double taxation treaty with Thailand is in place already so... not an issue.

40 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Not private pensions though which will be taxed in the UK already so with the double taxation treaty should be fine. 

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Thumbs said:

Flocking really when gbp is down to 43 baht? Chiang mai will likely kill any residents with breathing difficulties 

£1500 a month seems very reasonable but then need to add in the 800,000 per person for the visa which will probably be a nightmare for the family to get out of the bank when someone dies, the uk isnt great but has the national health service which is free, any inevitable age related illnesses will put a serious dent in a retirees savings 

The 800k is easily transferred with a Thai will. Just doing a will for the 800K is 5k baht and 5% or 10% xfer fee by the court when you pass.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, sungod said:

There are people who may have saved for retirement, had other pensions. Not all UK pensioners are scraping by on a state pension.

Let me do the sums....360,000 pounds for a couple to stay 10yrs yes it is doable + all medical costs for maybe 10yrs 

3 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

IMO marrying a Thai lady (a good one) who will look after you when you get very old/sick (and 90% do) is the best option.

Good luck finding a good one, especially when you get old/sick and she tires of all the work. If you can afford it, the care home is a much superior answer.

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Good luck finding a good one, especially when you get old/sick and she tires of all the work. If you can afford it, the care home is a much superior answer.

Fair enough - but there are a lot of them who will do it - as long as you do have something to leave for them when you 'go'.

One key is where you look for them - and how old they are - if you want a 20-30 year old, you are being stupid/silly (they often leave).

Likewise, one that worked in a bar is also likely to leave and not stick it out. 

Agree with an earlier reply. This 'story' is a product of the right-wing rag Daily Snail, slithering in its latest take-down piece on its Tory pal's decimated NHS. While the 1,500 quid per month might be correct for the most basic package (a room with khow-tom for 3 meals per day), it wouldn't cover all the other things needed (private health insurance, hard to get for elderly who don't already have it, and the dreaded change to Thai income tax for foreign residents).  And you sure wouldn't get to jump that nurse (a s/he, BTW? Can't really tell).

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Can you blame him? I bet the carers or nurses in the UK are fat and ugly compared to those in Thailand?🤣

My Dad, who had Dementia, was in a private Care Home in Frimley Green and the cost was over £ 6,000 per month. 75% of the staff were from the Philippines and the rest from African countries. The staff from the Philippines were hard working and slim. He was looked after very well and I am sure that people arre looked after in Thailand. My mother is looking seriously at moving overseas soon as nearly all her friends have passed away and she is reliant on carers either living in or coming in mornings Monday to Friday.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Makes me think of Bobby Charlton who recently died in a UK care home... result of a fall, not really his age ( 86) or dementia. Yes a Thailand care home is a good option... but hard for close family to visit regularly!

There are always apps and Zoom to stay in contact with family and friends so a minor inconvenience when compared to the advantages of staying away from the hellhole that is UK.which is fast becoming a failed state.

5 hours ago, Enoon said:

Yeah, sure UK pensioners are "flocking" to Thailand to pay £1500 a month......with UK State Pension at £883 (taxable) a month.

Typical Daily Mail advertorial BS.

Using your figure the UK pension at  GBP 883 comes to GBP 11,479.

Under the GBP12,500 tax free allowance, so no tax is payable on the State pension.

However the current state pension is 

The full new State Pension is £203.85 per week.

https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension/what-youll-get#:~:text=The full new State Pension,delay) taking your State Pension

As the pension can be paid 4 weekly that equals £815,40 or for 13 payment per year = £10,600.20 so still no tax is payable.

If you choose to say that extra money can be earned you would be correct. 

It is also correct to say that you can get your pension one month and die the next month.

At that point we enter the world of whataboutery which is a game that I refuse to play.

Edited by billd766
I hit the wrong key. Sorry
  • Confused 2

11 hours ago, phetphet said:

£1500 a month? 

I couldn't open the link to Mail Online, but for accommodation and 24 hour care, if that includes all meals, that is a steal.

Not sure about the one in Chiangmai though. the pollution for several months a year isn't good for anyone...young or old.

The old boy in that last photo looks like he can't take his eyes off that nurse. 😀

his wife has that 'sad puppy' face on too..God bless them. 😔