Helmetless motorcycle rides in Thailand puts lives at risk

snoop1130

meanwhile note their promotional video includes this  happy chap  about to get his face scraped  off the road, sorry i treat everything in Thailand as a sad sad  joke

“Holiday” by “The Isan Project” a new song and video is being launched today by the former Tourism and Sports Minister “Senator Weerasak Kowsurat” at a private luncheon at the Hyatt Regency Hotel on Sukhumvit, Bangkok.

Could contain:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Accidents involving motorcycle rides, especially those involving head injuries, are a common cause of work for neurosurgeons. This unfortunate reality is being addressed by the Thai Health Promotion Foundation (THPF) which invited neurosurgeon, Pracha Panyaprakitti, to share his experiences and encourage preventative measures.

Share the neurosurgeons views with the relevant officials and police, take them on a tour of ECU's when riders are stretchered in with their skulls fractured and leaking precious fluids.

Many helmets in Thailand are maybe good enough to keep the head in one piece, after it was cracked in a collision, but the protection is almost 0.

If people don't wear any helmet, then at least they are aware that they have no head protection. That is better than people who wear a piece of plastic and think they are protected. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sirineou said:

almost every day I see an adult on a bike with a helmet and their child behind them without one. 

Really!! If I only had a helmet , I would give it to my child. 

I assume the child would require new helmets as they grow whereas the adult will wear theirs for years. It would be good to see a 'pass it on' type scheme in this case to help with the financial burden of helmets for those who really do have very little. Could their schools offer/buy them back from the parents or do a swap as children grow? 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

43 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Logic:crazy: All you got to do is enforce!

But seriously, not 100/200bt fine. 

Have a 1 month advertising blitz, then fine everyone not wearing a helmet 10,000bt (whether  1,2 3 or 4 on the bike) AND confiscate the bike for minimum 1 month.  Turbans not accepted. A helmet or walk!

Edited by prakhonchai nick
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, alien365 said:

I assume the child would require new helmets as they grow whereas the adult will wear theirs for years. It would be good to see a 'pass it on' type scheme in this case to help with the financial burden of helmets for those who really do have very little. Could their schools offer/buy them back from the parents or do a swap as children grow? 

That is a n excellent idea"" 

have a deferent age appropriate basic helmets, as a kid out grow it, return it , put it back to the age group cabbie, for someone else to take, and et another one that fits. 

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I recently bought a full face helmet for longer journeys, might use it around town eventually, in the meantime I use a good open face. Got to have a low IQ to not wear any helmet 

i agree 100% amaze that so many forang don't use helmet !!!!   must have v low IQ as the non-foreigner's !!!!

• Like 2

Interesting (?) choice of stock photo for this story: crashed motorbike and driver on ground with a full helmet with mask.

I'd say masked helmets will never catch on here: too hard to see the text you're working on while driving down the road here

• Like 1