Helmetless motorcycle rides in Thailand puts lives at risk

snoop1130

8 hours ago, MartinL said:

Helmets have a definite lifespan, after which the shell material has deteriorated so that it's no longer safe. Straps get frayed and weak, fastening mechanisms break. While what's suggested here IS a good idea, it could lead to old, badly maintained helmets being passed among kids whose parents don't recognise a lid that 'beyond its sell-by date' and next-to-useless.

Picture of my helmet and a helmet given away free with my wife's new bike. I won't let her, or anyone else, use it - she has a far better quality one for daily use. It can be deformed using the pressure of just one finger on each side and it 'creaks' under even that slight pressure. There is no protection for chin and temples, two areas that are far more vulnerable than the crown of the head in an accident. The strap is flimsy. I see LOTS of these being worn on the streets, strap undone. My lid, by contrast, can't be appreciably deformed by even strong pressure on the shell and it's SHARP 5* rated. I don't suggest that everyone should buy a highly-rated helmet but that free thing is about as much use as the plastic bags I see worn by motorcycle riders to keep rain off their hair. 

Could contain:

And the price difference please.

Could care less if people wear helmets.  They don't respect their life, that's on them.  Seeing so many farangs without is a bit surprising, as surely most come from countries where they were probably mandatory.

I think their insurance should be voided if not wearing a helmet.  If killed in an accident, the striking vehicle driver should not be charged with vehicle death, and should be listed as a suicide.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Could care less if people wear helmets.  They don't respect their life, that's on them.  Seeing so many farangs without is a bit surprising, as surely most come from countries where they were probably mandatory.

I think their insurance should be voided if not wearing a helmet.  If killed in an accident, the striking vehicle driver should not be charged with vehicle death, and should be listed as a suicide.

I'd agree, though I'd have stated it a little different.  More people die from drinking and smoking each year than from helmetless scooter accidents.  Yet you don't see anyone here calling for a ban on smoking or drinking.  In fact, I'd be more inclined to support a drinking ban because their DUI puts me at risk.

But, like smoking and drinking, I would like to see them protect kids from bad decisions, at least until they're old enough to make an informed choice.  I'd be in favor of a helmet law for kids.

The safety difference between riding on a scooter (with or without a helmet) vs riding in a car is over an order of magnitude greater (+2000-4000%) than the difference that a helmet makes once you've decided to hop on 2 wheels (-40%).   For those that can't afford a car, I understand and I sympathize.  I also have great sympathy for farangs that get maimed or killed on a scooter, but I'm always puzzled when they think their superior scootering skills and great helmet will keep them out of harms way.

22 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Damn right. No cover if helmetless. Maybe they don't think they're covered so why bother. But covered or not, how fricking dumbass can you be not to give yourself at least a CHANCE of survival if bashed up in an RTA?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, impulse said:

I'd agree, though I'd have stated it a little different.  More people die from drinking and smoking each year than from helmetless scooter accidents.  Yet you don't see anyone here calling for a ban on smoking or drinking.  In fact, I'd be more inclined to support a drinking ban because their DUI puts me at risk.

If not for the tax revenues, I would think they'd ban both alcohol & tobacco products.

Being the conspiracy nut ... I'm sure it's great profits all around for the sale of, along with lawyers defending idiots & healthcare profits to treat all the ailments from.

Grew up with alcoholic & chain smoking parents ... shame for them, and can only imagine how much better for myself & siblings life would have been.  They did set a fine example though, and none of us drink much or use tobacco products.

My father was dead set against any of us owning a motorcycle while living in his house.  As a few of his childhood friends died on them.  I myself didn't buy one till 27, since almost killing myself first time I 'tried' to ride one when 19.  Thankfully the owner made me wear a helmet, or I definitely wouldn't be here today.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

But seriously, not 100/200bt fine. 

Have a 1 month advertising blitz, then fine everyone not wearing a helmet 10,000bt (whether  1,2 3 or 4 on the bike) AND confiscate the bike for minimum 1 month.  Turbans not accepted. A helmet or walk!

It is still enforce no matter whatvis put in place.

Blitz?  The W.H.O.  year after year give without any accountability 10 million plus, in Pattaya, they put up tons of signs that is it. 

They can threat 100,000 baht like they years ago for cig on beach but it is nothing but hot air and people know you got nothing.

In the sixteen years I have been here I have seen more than a fare share of foreigners riding helmetless also, and all old enough to know better. I drove tow truck for 18 years, and I can tell you first hand that brain matter isn't pretty to see.

Edited by Lee4Life
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Do use a helmet 'one fits all'?

First I would buy one for my , childe, I would never allow her to ride on a bike without one, 

But I get it, some Thais  don

t have a lot of money (Though the seem to have plenty for that fancy smartphone)

But anyway, if I only had  one I would insist my daughter wears it. 

Would it fit her well? probably not, But I bet it would afford her more protection than if she was not wearing one at all. 

On 11/10/2023 at 7:26 PM, MisterPooFarty said:

Why do people get so bent out of shape and resort to insults and name calling, just because others choose not to wear a motor cycle helmet? How does it affect the name callers?

Because a lot of people end up getting maimed for life and end up having to be taken care of by hospitals, relatives, friends etc for life ..who do you suppose pays for that?  ....or someone has to take care of their kids or worse yet they set a crap example for their kids who get killed or maimed.

It is not always all about only the idiot who refuses to wear a helmet.

• Love It 1

Go take a look at the millions upon millions of motorbikes in vietnam...at least in the big cities helmet usage is close to 100% because they made rules and actually enforce them.

Go take a look at a public high school in most any town thailand and watch all the kids and most of the teachers show up day after day often with three or more on the bike with hardly a helmet in sight...some have lots of signs around the school saying wear helmets but when even the teachers ignore it what do you suppose the kids do?

On 11/9/2023 at 11:40 AM, scubascuba3 said:

I recently bought a full face helmet for longer journeys, might use it around town eventually, in the meantime I use a good open face. Got to have a low IQ to not wear any helmet 

There is a general misconception caption that longer journeys are more dangerous than short ones.

The truth is that most accidents occur within 10 km of home.

Head injuries from a motorcycle can occur regardless of speed, it is the distance from the head to the ground.

Full face in the main offers protection against face and jaw injuries

• Agree 1

On 11/10/2023 at 7:05 AM, 2baht said:

Yes, the chicks can't see their handsome faces and it messes their hair if they wear a helmet! :thumbsup:

The ladies do not like to wear helmets also  for fear of ruffling there locks 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't care if they put their lives at risk or die, what I care about is MY life at risk, when I might need an ambulance or Surgery, but some selfish dick head has caused those to be unavailable for me, I was hoping this article would highlight that but sadly not. 

• Agree 1

On 11/9/2023 at 9:28 PM, lordgrinz said:

I'm convinced that the typical Thai motorcycle rider has never taken a motorcycle safety course (or proper training), and probably has no idea how to actually drive a motorcycle, or for that matter understand the rules of the road, let alone safely. The helmet is only one device in the equation, they need to get serious about driver education and enforcement. I'm in awe at how they throw caution to the wind here, it's almost like they want to commit suicide

And what course did you get?

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

There is a general misconception caption that longer journeys are more dangerous than short ones.

The truth is that most accidents occur within 10 km of home.

Head injuries from a motorcycle can occur regardless of speed, it is the distance from the head to the ground.

Full face in the main offers protection against face and jaw injuries

Longer journeys I'm going a lot faster, 100kmph, more dogs on Sukhumvit, plus better air flow for a full face. Around town lots of traffic less airflow, full face not so good, open face good

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Longer journeys I'm going a lot faster, 100kmph, more dogs on Sukhumvit, plus better air flow for a full face. Around town lots of traffic less airflow, full face not so good, open face good

Sorry but it doesn't work like that - an incident doesn't know how far you are travelling and takes only seconds to occur.

airflow is a problem especially on full-faces not design for warmer climates but you can't avoid te evidence that most accidents occur close to home.

If you want to know what effect coming of a bike at any speed is just imagine filling to the ground from a standing position and using only your head to break the fall.

Helmets are only effective against "glancing" blows - on  direct blows even at low speed they are ineffective as your brain (layered a bit like an onion) will shake haemorrhage and you'll die. Many accidents the victim seems totally unhurt they just die of brain injury - helmets reduce this but only up to a point . Speed is a factor of about 20% in crashes and it covers all types of injuries but there is a very low threshold for head injuries and any speed is a threat.

One of the reasons for the high injury and fatality rates close to home is that the "I'm-only-nipping-down-to-the shops" syndrome kicks in and people fail to take full safety precautions. It's a bit like throwing a dice, the risk is constant per kilometre - it does in increase with distance

On 11/9/2023 at 6:56 PM, 4MyEgo said:

When the keystone cops here get serious and start booking people, day in, day out, then and then only then will you see lives saved.

The above said, they would have to keep it up, but they're too busy getting tea money from schools to direct traffic during the morning and afternoon.

So it remains the typical Thai attitude of "up to you".

That is not going to happen. Recently I saw a policeman on his police bike with a young child presumably taking them to school. He had a helmet the child had nothing. Unless the police start enforcing the rule it will never change.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Fugitive said:

It isn't pleasant wearing a helmet in hot Countries. Given that irreplaceable skin loss is a killer too, how many wear leathers, gloves and boots?

You need hot weather gear  - Carbon fibre wear is good.

When I'm on a bike I wear stuff that will "erode" rather than tear on asphalt.

Apart from hemet, I pay attention to sleeves and legs but the most important this is foot wear - my colleagues noted I would turn up to work wearing heavy boots.

I don't find it uncomfortable as the right, or rather safer, clothing acts as a shade rather than a heater.

A quick visit to any hospital in a tourist area like Samui will show you what not wearing protective clothing can do - the wounds are clearly marked on the hundreds of tourists haveing their dressings changes. All of whom were on short trips in speedos thongs and singlets

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

If you have to replace your full face helmet, go for a motocross helmet. Same advantage like a full face but much better airflow. Best of both worlds.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

That is not going to happen. Recently I saw a policeman on his police bike with a young child presumably taking them to school. He had a helmet the child had nothing. Unless the police start enforcing the rule it will never change.

In the last 20 years helmet wearing has increased - as has the quality of some helmets. THe helmet is now becoming a fashion item amongst younger riders - who are the highest risk group.

Enforcement is inconsistent and regional - before that changes significantly it requires a major reformation of the police force. THat would requit=re a constitutional review.

9 minutes ago, CHdiver said:

If you have to replace your full face helmet, go for a motocross helmet. Same advantage like a full face but much better airflow. Best of both worlds.

most people don't realise that if you just drop a helmet - even if you are not wearing it, it should be discarded and the structural integrity is likely to be compromised.

Edited by kwilco
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, kwilco said:

In the last 20 years helmet wearing has increased - as has the quality of some helmets. THe helmet is now becoming a fashion item amongst younger riders - who are the highest risk group.

Enforcement is inconsistent and regional - before that changes significantly it requires a major reformation of the police force. THat would requit=re a constitutional review.

True. Most of the people I see do wear a helmet, I thought it was somewhat ironic when a policeman does not have a helmet on his young child.

• Agree 1