How does Bali compare to Pattaya or Phuket

georgegeorgia

19 hours ago, bignok said:

Thats why I wouldnt go. Muslim nation. Not proper law enforcement after. Some got only a few years jail.

Indonesia is a Muslim nation, but Bali is an exception as they are Hindus. This of course does not exclude the possibility of Muslim attacks. It is more dirty and much more expensive than any place in Thailand, and I doubty it's a good location for long stayers. I have been there several times, but for holiday purposes only, as the beaches and the sunsets are beautyful.

• Like 1

Stayed at Jimbaran Beach area, south of the airport, in 2016.  Top shelf hotel. It was nice.  Then I went to the beach at Jimbaran Bay.  Couldnt enjoy the waves because the water was like a plastic soup, so much plastic pollution.  My legs kept getting tied up by plastic bags and tarpaulins. The development in the area was insanely over the top. Too much traffic, nowhere to walk safely. Imagine the area south of Jimbaran is well and truly overdeveloped by now.  No desire to go back, but perhaps other parts of the island are more sedate... and cleaner?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

if the girlie thing is a must for you it does exist in the clubs. I was once having a quiet beer with others at the small bar in my accommodation hotel, before heading out for the night, when a guy went around the bar taking orders for ladies from the drinkers. 

Yeah my limited experience of that was taxi bikes could arrange it

21 hours ago, bignok said:

Why do people want to be surrounded by millions of tourists?

It's better than sitting on a farm in Nakonsonowhere pretending to be content. Perhaps 1000s is ok. Millions might be a bit much LOL.

If there are lots of tourists and other expats around, the available services (rentals), food, and shopping are better. Also, it is not usually necessary to learn the local language. You don't become a focused target as you are when you're isolated from other foreigners. I've lived in tourist areas all my life and I like it. I have no complaints about Pattaya. I've also lived in places (in the Philippines) where there are very few other foreigners around, where I stand out from the rest - and I don't like that.

There you go, some reasons for you. Each to their own.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Spouse and I might visit Bali sometime but I can't imagine living there.  We still like Pattaya, and hve since 2010.  We just moved into a new pool villa near Lake Mabprachan.  3 bedrooms, 3.5 baths, on 105 sq. wah of land for 6.6 MB, including everything.  Nice project of about 25 homes.  Great location--we can be at Terminal 21 or Index/Home Pro in 15 minutes or less.  Ditto for Bangkok Pattaya Hospital.  About 5 minutes to the Motorway and we are on our way to Bangkok.  We like the size of the Pattaya area and the services, entertainment, restaurants, and shopping on offer.  Nice expat community.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, newnative said:

Spouse and I might visit Bali sometime but I can't imagine living there.  We still like Pattaya, and hve since 2010.  We just moved into a new pool villa near Lake Mabprachan.  3 bedrooms, 3.5 baths, on 105 sq. wah of land for 6.6 MB, including everything.  Nice project of about 25 homes.  Great location--we can be at Terminal 21 or Index/Home Pro in 15 minutes or less.  Ditto for Bangkok Pattaya Hospital.  About 5 minutes to the Motorway and we are on our way to Bangkok.  We like the size of the Pattaya area and the services, entertainment, restaurants, and shopping on offer.  Nice expat community.

Don't want to go off topic in my own thread but can I ask why you chose to buy a 3 bedroom house ?

9 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Don't want to go off topic in my own thread but can I ask why you chose to buy a 3 bedroom house ?

First rented then owned condos all my adult life in the US.  Could never even consider a single-family home--way out of my price range.  Even townhouses were too expensive.  Just buying a 1 bedroom condo was a stretch on my small salary--but buying paid off and was the only way I made any money to save.  Went the condo route via a number of different condos with my spouse in Thailand, as well, from 2010 to 2020--we did like our ocean views.  Then, we decided to change things up and take advantage of real estate being topsy-turvy here.

By topsy-turvy, I mean that small condos are often more expensive than large,single-family homes here.  That would rarely be the case where I was living in the US.  For example, the last condo we sold was a 1-bedroom condo at a good Pattaya project for 9MB.  Nice condo, nice seaview, but only 79 sqm.  And, just that 1 bedroom and 1 rather small bath.  For considerably less, just 6.6 MB total for everything, we have a new, spacious home, 2-car garage, and a private 3 x 9 meter pool, which we love. 

As another example, I recently saw an even smaller 45 sqm condo advertised for sale at Copacabana for 6 million something--about what we paid for our new house.  For us, the house was just far more value.  One last example.  Arom, a new condo project in Wong Amat, has 2 bedroom condos for 16 MB.  About 82 sqm--not much bigger than the 1 bedroom we sold.  I can tell you that 16 MB will get you into some very nice single-family homes.

The two extra bedrooms we have set up as guest bedrooms, for when family visit.  Having 3 bedrooms, all with en suite baths, adds value should we ever sell, which we have been wont to do.  Should we end up staying, one of the extra bedrooms could be used, down the road, for a live-in care giver.  We gave up our oceanview but gained a lot more living space.  This is actually our third house here, having done two other ones and sold them.  

On 11/26/2023 at 1:57 PM, KhunBENQ said:

I have the news in mind of about 200 Australian and other tourists bombed to death by Muslim extremists.

Of course, there's no bombings in Thailand or UK or US, etc.

Scary history is a good reason to never leave mummy's basement.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If the OP is actually considering retirement in Bali there are heaps of YouTube posts about the place that will provide a more accurate version of life there than a bunch of AN posters with whinges about nearly everything.

If you hang out in Kutu you will come across Aussie bogans having a drunken good time. It's very cheap to get there from Oz. Alternatively, you could go to Amsterdam or Spain where the UK "Chavs" are much more refined, particularly during soccer matches on the Continent.

Edited by Old Croc
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/26/2023 at 2:20 PM, bignok said:

Thats why I wouldnt go. Muslim nation. Not proper law enforcement after. Some got only a few years jail.

Bali is part of Indonesia. Indonesia is not a Muslim nation (unlike e.g. Malaysia) though it's true that Islam is predominant and in many ways oppressive. However, Bali is predominantly Hindu. Regardless, Indonesia is not exactly attractive for westerners as a retirement option unless they have personal specific reasons.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2023 at 5:03 AM, scubascuba3 said:

I've surfed, certainly not too fat, too fit maybe. It's just the mindset of those bogan surfer dudes, if you know you know

You're being very judgemental all Aussies / Aussie surfers.

Bogans exist in every country / culture.  

On 11/27/2023 at 10:35 PM, Old Croc said:

If you hang out in Kutu you will come across Aussie bogans having a drunken good time. It's very cheap to get there from Oz.

That's lucky for Thailand then.

I once took my Thai girlfriend on a trip to Kanchanaburi and on the return private bus trip a couple of Oz matrons were so chilly towards me that the bus didn't need the AC turned on. I used to love flaunting my young and beautiful Thai girlfriend in front of middle aged western women.

On 11/27/2023 at 8:32 PM, georgegeorgia said:

Even being single I'd buy a 3 bedroom house if able. One for a bedroom, one for a guest room and one for a study. Which is exactly what my ( single now ) sister has.

• Like 1