King Power not happy with talk of abolishing duty-free on arrival

webfact

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Among the ideas being considered is a Finance Ministry proposal to turn Thailand into a “duty-free paradise”.

That sounded promising until I read on a bit... it sounds like it'll just end up another glorified VAT refund scheme for tourists when they fly home. And there was silly old me hoping to see the import duty on foreign wine slashed. No such luck.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Get rid of King power. On a recent trip from Canada I purchased a bottle of Glenlivet at duty free in Taiwan for $32. The exact same bottle, same size, in BKK from king power was over 3000 baht(>$100). That's about the same price as the normal liquor stores. 

Agreed... King Power Duty Free in Bangkok is a rip-off...  the result of no corruption and no competition. 

$32 was a good price for Glenlivet...  was it this one ??? 

Whenever going back to the UK... I buy online...  its usually always cheaper than any duty free.

(Amazon UK).

image.png.fb32684cc96fea58275cac1c418c1b1c.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed... King Power Duty Free in Bangkok is a rip-off...  the result of no corruption and no competition. 

$32 was a good price for Glenlivet...  was it this one ??? 

Whenever going back to the UK... I buy online...  its usually always cheaper than any duty free.

(Amazon UK).

image.png.fb32684cc96fea58275cac1c418c1b1c.png

Founder's Reserve, which you posted a pic of, is 2100 baht at BKK King power. The one I purchased in Taiwan for $32 USD is Distiller's Reserve. All 1 liter bottles. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Eh? If you remove all duty free on arrival that is a huge loss of revenue for everyone. What do you think they will replace them with? Rows and rows of cake shops? When most people land their main objective is to get out of the airport as quickly as possible. Duty free is tempting, nothing else would be, and we're talking a lot of retail space to replace - it is a ridiculous idea.

I am no fan of KP and think giving one company exclusivity for ALL retail and commercial space in the airport was a stupid thing to do. But this story has nothing to do with that, or corruption, or the legendary AN, tedious "brown envelopes". But I do understand many posters here don't feel complete unless they've trotted out at least one cliche per day, so glad you got your fix. And do revenue sharing agreements really get paid in brown envelopes?

I don't buy duty free l. I presume it means VAT and alcohol tax free. Carry on selling it but with all the taxes added. The sales may drop but those people desperate for alcohol on arrival will still buy it since the price should be no different to the retail shops in Thailand 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

King Power is, has been and always be a rip-off.

They used to have a nice little side-line in shop-lifting accusations an hour before your flight was due to take off.  An English-speaking lawyer was provided to handle negotiations.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, mikebell said:

They used to have a nice little side-line in shop-lifting accusations an hour before your flight was due to take off.  An English-speaking lawyer was provided to handle negotiations.

I recall those days when a person just stood over a boundary line while browsing and was instantly accused of shoplifting.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

When "duty free" prices are higher than everyday "vat included" prices someone is scamming the system... typical Thailand... they think that everyone is stupid and are right most of the time... that's the sad part.

First time visitors don't know that the prices are higher since 'duty free' in any other country means cheaper. Scamming first time visitors 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, JoePai said:

Only goes to show how much money there is to be made in so called "duty-free"

Helps you buy football clubs (Leicester City plus Leuven in Belgium), own a five-star hotel and construct one of the tallest and most iconic buildings in Bangkok.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Well, so the King(dom) of Power(buying) comes to an end after 17 years in operation. During those 17 years they could enjoy a monopoly (like other retail business in this country), billions of Baht changed accounts and piggy banks and now they are "not happy"? 

Their unhappiness might be rooted in the fact, that the horn of plenty is not so plenty anymore after all these years - who knows. I - for one - never bought anything there as some prices were even more expensive than "duty paid" in town - luxury consumer goods like watches sprang to mind ....... 

It will allow now for ample additions of toilets; that was a real issue when Swampy opened in 2006 when they had more duty free outlet and space than toilets which were more than few and far between. Still better though than Santa Cruz International Airport of Bombay some 40+ years ago, where the toilets got forgotten all together which resulted in a delayed opening to add those private areas where one could "powder the nose"! 

Mysterious are the ways of the East! 

• Thanks 1

King Power Wikipedia snippets:

In 2004, the government of Thaksin Shinawatra granted King Power the right to operate duty-free shops at Suvarnabhumi, Bangkok's new main airport, for 10 years. Shortly thereafter, the company won the concession to operate duty-free shops at four major provincial airports until 2015. There was no bidding for the concessions.

Six years later King Power Group's Owner Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha had made enough money to buy  Leicester City F.C. as a hobby.

In 2017, King Power was accused of failing to pay the Thai state 14 billion baht (£327 million) from the operation of their airport duty-free shop monopoly. The lawsuit was filed by a deputy chairman of a government anti-corruption subcommittee. Two other King Power group companies owned by the Srivaddhanaprabha family were also accused of corruption in the legal action, along with a senior King Power executive. Fourteen officials working for Airports of Thailand PCL (AOT) have also been named in the suit. 

The Central Criminal Court for Corruption and Misconduct Cases dismissed the case on 18 September 2018, ruling that the plaintiff "was not an affected party, therefore he cannot sue in this case."

King Power's "cash cow" is its duty-free business which operates as a government-sanctioned monopoly. Over the years, King Power has been very close to the Thaksin, Abhisit, and Yingluck governments. It has also been a supporter of post-coup governments of Sonthi Boonyaratglin and more recently, Prayut Chan-o-cha.

In January 2019, it was revealed that King Power was among the donors at the pro-junta Phalang Pracharat Party's 600 million baht dinner fundraiser.

King Power not happy with talk of abolishing duty-free on arrival

Given their track record there will be no abolishment of their monopoly, instead there will be a donation to the Srettha government.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1