Thai Excise Department Eyes Alcohol Tax Reduction to Boost Tourism and Consumption

webfact

3 hours ago, mania said:

Why does Thailand believe all tourist come here to get trashed/drunk?

First opening bars till 4am with its increase in road deaths. Then talk about keeping bars open till 6am & now this reduce the tax on Alcohol to increase tourism? AND Consumption?

Listen Thailand with your world leading daily road death count do you really think you need more alcohol consumption?

They would have to get drunk to end up going with some of the women you see them walking around with :sleep:

• Haha 1

The Thais keep on chasing their tails over tourism, and we know how useful that is. Lanzarote, in the Canaries, has also had its own 'Quality Tourist' campaign, but now they've found that the money spent by the relatively small number of quality tourists doesn't begin to replace the amount spent by the great unwashed masses who they told to stay away. So now they've done a U-turn and started a campaign to try and attract back more of the good old trashy British and European tourists instead. The Thai authorities should try to learn from other countries, not do everything by themselves all at once.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Why not reduce the ridiculous Farang tax on wine also. That would increase sales, leading to more revenue...........sorry, forgot where I was for a second......No tourists in hotels, raise room rates....

Yes, strangely, for the foreign 'devils' it's always 'double the prices' (as suggested by Anutin(?) right after the end of the pandemic - "Foreigners should pay more for hotels" was the word then). And for imported wines and spirits they add so much tax, while importing the worst wines, that would probably in the countries of origin made to vinegar if not sold to Thailand. At the supermarkets, at the same time, the bottles only collect dust on the shelves instead of finding customers... - Great strategy, indeed, to increase tourism revenue... Not!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

When reading the various news stories about free insurance for tourist, longer nightlife opening hours and now lower alcohol tax, it seems like the tourist target has change from the previous so-called "quality tourists" – who in my understanding were able to afford travel insurance, not especially aiming for late nightlife and didn't mind if alcohol were a few baht cheaper or not per drink when signing the bill in a many star hotel – to budget level...:whistling:

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, ezzra said:

It seems that Thailand is on a never ending crusades of ideas as how to bring as many as possible more tourists to this country,

as if no other industry or export is important anymore other than the tourism industry to keep the revenue rolling in,

so in other words, without tourism this country will be in deep trouble and that mostly the tourists that keeps the country afloat...

That come clear under Covid with ques of begging citizens all over the country and the income from tourism is way higher than we are let to believe.

Felt

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ezzra said:

It seems that Thailand is on a never ending crusades of ideas as how to bring as many as possible more tourists to this country,

as if no other industry or export is important anymore other than the tourism industry to keep the revenue rolling in,

so in other words, without tourism this country will be in deep trouble and that mostly the tourists that keeps the country afloat...

Tourist numbers are important if you own hotels, fiddle with the residency rates, and process cash.🤔:whistling:

On 12/20/2023 at 10:29 AM, khunPer said:

When reading the various news stories about free insurance for tourist, longer nightlife opening hours and now lower alcohol tax, it seems like the tourist target has change

Yes, they seem to finally start realizing who their actual targets are- it's not families and it's not rich Chinese/Indians (or rich any nationality). Most tourists come to Thailand to relax and/or party, and obvious alcohol consumption goes with that for most. The previous government thought it could force Thailand into being Singapore - and failed miserably resulting in lower tourist numbers. Lowering alcohol taxes (especially if they tackle the ridiculous 300% on imported stuff) is a step in the right direction for everybody.

4 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Yes, they seem to finally start realizing who their actual targets are- it's not families and it's not rich Chinese/Indians (or rich any nationality). Most tourists come to Thailand to relax and/or party, and obvious alcohol consumption goes with that for most. The previous government thought it could force Thailand into being Singapore - and failed miserably resulting in lower tourist numbers. Lowering alcohol taxes (especially if they tackle the ridiculous 300% on imported stuff) is a step in the right direction for everybody.

My experience is the opposite from where I stay in Thailand, the tourist destination Samui. More families and children are coming, while the traditional bar-nightlife has been suffering over a number of years with many closing. A number of former bars changed to places that sells food. Also the many-stars hotel are more booked than the traditional cheap bungalows – most of the backpacker style of that kind has long been gone – so this Thai destination seems to have more so-called "quality tourists" that cares less about alcohol prices and opening hours in the nightlife.

On 12/20/2023 at 10:49 AM, Nickcage49 said:

Finally a good idea!

It will be 5 baht off a bottle of rubbish Thai beer! they wont be reducing the high taxes on foreign imports. Don't see how they get away with it on better beer from foreign Asean countries like Laos and Cambodia

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

The change in hours would only be a change/increase in revenues to the 7/11's  and supermarkets at the expense of the local "Mom & Pop" shops!

I would rather support my local "Mom & Pop" than 7/11's or supermarkets!

Hear Hear.  :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

I am confused!

Most 7/11's are open 24/day!

Since this is a forum discussing alcohol sales I assume you are talking about the legal selling hours

11AM-2PM =3Hrs

5PM-11PM=6Hrs

6+3=9Hrs!

The change in hours would only be a change/increase in revenues to the 7/11's  and supermarkets at the expense of the local "Mom & Pop" shops!

I would rather support my local "Mom & Pop" than 7/11's or supermarkets!

7/11 sells alcohol till midnight = 10 hours, I think it was pretty clear what I was talking about, as we all know they are open 24

• Confused 1

40 minutes ago, Seppius said:

7/11 sells alcohol till midnight = 10 hours, I think it was pretty clear what I was talking about, as we all know they are open 24

They do NOT sell to midnight legally!  

Their tilling system does not allow them to sell out-with the legal alcohol selling hours;

11AM-2PM & 5PM-11PM!