Thaksin is sick and not granted special privileges : Justice minister

snoop1130

23 minutes ago, Kwaibill said:

Or the Repubes in the US.

I figured I'd just wait and let somebody else say it. Totally correct. I thought that it was just a typo to name the Democrats, LOL).

• Agree 1

Interesting that the Thaksin side has decided not to take advantage of the newly created "home detention" category for the last two months of his "sentence".

The embarrassment factor of the new home detention option appears a bridge too far for some officials who would have had to approve it.

So he'll rough it out, or so we're told, in the Police Hospital for another two months until his release on Feb 22, 2024.

13 hours ago, Screaming said:

Thailand is such a pathetic, corrupt third world country.

On matters such as this, I guess it is. Few places in Asia are otherwise, but I guess the rest of the world ain't much different if you are seriously moneyed-up corrupt. But as a country 'pathetic', no. I would never live here if I thought that.

As to this issue, articles and press releases such as this do not help and will not assuage a skeptical public. They should afford each and every sick prisoner this kind of treatment if it is not deemed as special. That is what is pathetic. Just come out and say it, Thaksin is not an ordinary person. We all know it anyway!

As evidenced above, the hate Thaksin mob have run out of witty comments.

Come on guys, give up, your favourite bogeyman is home and most Thais are either happy or unmoved by this, apart from BKK HiSos.

As your comments....oops sorry, expert medical opinions become increasingly irrelevant it's time to find another bogeyman to vent your collective spleens at.

I recommend a certain Suthep.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, 2baht said:

He was sentenced to 8 years! He won't do 1 day! Get a dose of reality! No need to apologise for him, he is a convicted criminal!

All of which rather assumes a non-corrupt judicial process under a military regime (or indeed any other in Thailand) ...

No doubt Thaksin was and is an imperfect human being (like all of us) and an imperfect political leader (like all of them), but the continuing (though now diminishing) support for him and his party from the poor people of Thailand tells us something good about him.

Whether all that deserved 8 years in prison (when you look at his military predecessors & successors) is at least doubtful.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

It clearly isn't a third world country. It has a lot of corruption, yes, but it is not a third world country by any stretch.

'Third World' means different things to different people. Your view of Thailand is perhaps more optimistic than most of us manage most days of the week ...

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, JensenZ said:

You can watch the Democratic Party in the US on the news every day of the year. They wrote the book on it. It's absurd for people on here to accuse Thailand of being corrupt when their own countries are much worse. It's just hidden a bit deeper. It seems many forum members are looking for any excuse to condemn Thailand. 3rd World? - not even close.

Only the Democrat Party? A rather biased opinion methinks. When the reports of an alleged crooked ex president are published every day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mfd101 said:

'Third World' means different things to different people. Your view of Thailand is perhaps more optimistic than most of us manage most days of the week ...

For me, 'Third World' is a mentality, and Thailand is still deeply rooted in that way of thinking, despite the rapid economic development over the last 30 years. 

2 hours ago, Thumbs said:

this is Thailand they can do what they want, the thing that winds me up is they think all its citizens are retarded and cant see the obvious favoritism.

This is clear evidence of the 'Third World' mentality, even of Thailand's leaders.

Thaksin being granted these privileges and the resultant comical lies and deflection are all part of the pantomime. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Third world means non aligned to either the western /NATO worldview or communist/ Russian worldview during the cold War. It is not a term used to indicate level of development rather political (non) alignment.  And correctly Thailand is a Third world country..like Switzerland for example as well as a significant number of Asian, African and Central and South American countries. 

It has negative connections now as people and mainstream media have been using the term incorrectly. Which ironically says more about their own level of knowledge, development and understanding of their own language than the countries they are attempting to look down by labeling them as third world. 

But back to the OP. 

IMO Taksin in hospital is just one massive F U and slap in the face to the people of Thailand and its justice system by the Shinawatra clan. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, BayArea said:

The very fact this clown had to released a statement tells you that no one in Thailand believes he was ever sick to begin with.  The corruption is so entrenched in this farce of a justice system that they expect the population to accept anything they say because it's always been the quota. 

I don't suppose you considered the possibility that he was very sick, and that's why he chose to return now, knowing that he would be in a hospital ward rather than a prison cell.

He's 74.5 years old now, fast approaching the average life expectancy of Thai men of 75.5 years. He has led an extremely stressful life. Politics and exile for a 70-plus-year-old man is not a healthy lifestyle.

Do you think old men don't get sick just because you hate them? Take your hateful blinders off and start thinking rationally.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1