Agoda charges 51-80 % commission

arick

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

All depends on where the property is located and country where you have the bank/card.

Booking.com will list properties in any currency you choose but the bill will be in the local currency and that will be coverted if necessary by the bank concerned.

If I book in the UK I will use HSBC but for other countries I use Wise to avoid the non sterling transaction fee. My wife usually pays for hotels in Thailand.

In my case both the hotel and bank card were Thai.

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Yeah, I thought that was a hoot. What kind of dumps does one have to stay in that they would be talking to the owner to negotiate a lower price? 

Was that one of your many walk-ins? 

Just because you stay in dumps or do walk ins doesnt mean everyone else does. Nothing wrong with a walk in either. Where did I say I tried to negotiate a cheaper price? Learn to read. I know several resort and hotel owners and talk with them about a variety of issues, that being one of them. Dont be a troll cos you got called out for not reading well

• Haha 1

Have used agoda dozens of times...always check direct with hotel and not one time have i been quoted a lower rate direct than via agoda...in fact a lot of times if you want to extend the room a few more days the hotel will quote you a higher rate or you can stand in the lobby go to agoda app and get a lower rate that the hotel front desk is quoting.

Bottom line is agoda is a HUGE source of bookings especially for smaller asian hotels and the hotels obviously have looked at the business they bring at the rates they bring it and have decided that it is better than some small hotel trying to market themselves online (almost impossible without spending huge $$)so they work with agoda and let agoda do the marketing and usually the reservation and payment and accounting reports....Agoda is owned by booking.com but concentrates more on asian hotels and overall does a good job or i suspect a lot of hotels would choose not to particpate.

Not sure what OP is talking about  50-100 % commission but no hotel would agree to that.... i assume must be individuals renting out airbnb type but certainly not my experience with agoda hotels...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Dan O said:

Just because you stay in dumps or do walk ins doesnt mean everyone else does. Nothing wrong with a walk in either. Where did I say I tried to negotiate a cheaper price? Learn to read. I know several resort and hotel owners and talk with them about a variety of issues, that being one of them. Dont be a troll cos you got called out for not reading well

Here:DanO.png.68373766c53a4a157c2f783e8500400c.png

"Oh, what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive!"

Book 'em Dan O! 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

Here:DanO.png.68373766c53a4a157c2f783e8500400c.png

"Oh, what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive!"

Book 'em Dan O! 

again you apparently can not read and just guess at what is written and what it means. speaking with an owner about how business is going or how commissions are charged from advertisers or if there's any difference in rates does not say "hey buddy can you give me a cheaper rate if I book direct? "  You are a troll and trying to deflect from your original inability to read and comprehend. Im done with you on this topic, go back under the bridge where you live. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Cos there aren't many expats owning hotels in Thailand.

Plenty of expats who work in the hotel game though, was chatting to a couple of them last night at the pub. However they tend not to frequent sites like this, too busy managing their hotels I guess.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dan O said:

again you apparently can not read and just guess at what is written and what it means. speaking with an owner about how business is going or how commissions are charged from advertisers or if there's any difference in rates does not say "hey buddy can you give me a cheaper rate if I book direct? "  You are a troll and trying to deflect from your original inability to read and comprehend. Im done with you on this topic, go back under the bridge where you live. 

You're right, in all the nicest hotels, the owners are always wandering around the lobby chatting up the guests about their commissions and what not. 

Clearly I was wrong, and your statement: "I've spoken with owners about those commissions and if cheaper to book direct and its seldom much different per the ones I've talked to" had nothing to do with attempting to get a lower price. 

Go with God brother, I have enjoyed the discourse.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, KannikaP said:

In my case both the hotel and bank card were Thai.

Why you got what it said on the tin.

In the last few weeks I have made 5 bookings around Europe and 4 in Vietnam. Different currencies on listings, invoices and  bank statements.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

I am appalled after having read the last 4 pages, that the vast majority of posters are totally ignorant of the purpose of the thread.

'Tis an aggregation of idiocy nonpareil.

Enough to assuage any concerns one may have about the potential extinction of the human race ...

Where there is a problem, there is always an opportunity.

With all the cloud computing services available today and excellent software like WordPress and great plugins add-ons and many associated plugins being free.

A smart hotel consortium group could establish a corporate company, employ a software development team that could run up a new global scalable site, e.g "Hotels Genuine"

A low fixed price fee of a few % based on each hotel's annual revenue generating from bookings from the site could be leveraged against all participating hotels.

Initial funding for the project could be leveraged by hotels buying shares and ownership in the company, single hotel shared ownership limited to a %.

Hotel owned and hotel controlled.

Force current hotel booking sites to drop their commissions to be competitive.

PS. Plenty of opportunity out there.

Booking Holdings: The global leader in online travel bookings, Booking Holdings had a total revenue of over 17 billion U.S. dollars in 2022. 

Expedia Group: Expedia Group, which owns brands like Expedia, Vrbo, and Hotels.com, reported worldwide revenue of under 12 billion U.S. dollars in 2022

Airbnb: While not strictly a hotel booking site, Airbnb's vacation rental platform has seen explosive growth in recent years. Their gross booking value worldwide peaked at around 63 billion U.S. dollars in 2022,

On 12/29/2023 at 8:42 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

The hotel that is being charged 100% commission wouldn't be losing money on the booking, it just wouldn't be making any so it would remain at zero! 

I think you must have forgotten the a hotel incurs costs for each room that is occupied, apart from direct costs like room cleaning, amenities, laundry there is also the fractional cost of the support staff and building among others.

So they are losing money if those costs are not covered, so while I agree that a 100% commission is close to impossible except in extraordinary unusual circumstances the hotel will effectively be paying the guest or booking agent.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I think you must have forgotten the a hotel incurs costs for each room that is occupied, apart from direct costs like room cleaning, amenities, laundry there is also the fractional cost of the support staff and building among others.

So they are losing money if those costs are not covered, so while I agree that a 100% commission is close to impossible except in extraordinary unusual circumstances the hotel will effectively be paying the guest or booking agent.

As far as I can see the only additional costs for a full Vs empty room would be cleaning materials and electricity (almost nothing).

Presumably you would still pay staff wages whether empty or full.

And the full room would generate extra income from food, drinks and trip bookings.

7 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

while I agree that a 100% commission is close to impossible except in extraordinary unusual circumstances the hotel will effectively be paying the guest or booking agent.

No. Hotel rate of 4,000 Baht, booking commission 100 percent equals 4,000 for total of 8,000baht. Hotel gets 4,000, customer pays 8,000.

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

As far as I can see the only additional costs for a full Vs empty room would be cleaning materials and electricity (almost nothing).

Presumably you would still pay staff wages whether empty or full.

And the full room would generate extra income from food, drinks and trip bookings.

I do rather like your optimism, and lack of business sense, I would dislike being a business partner with you as I would be going out of business rather quickly.

Wages are quite likely to depend on time not flat rate and even if flat rate the staff have less time to complete other tasks.

You may pay the hotel for the food, drinks and get them to book other things for you, personally I am like many people I know and have never paid more than the room rate so your imaginary extra income is precisely that, imaginary 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Bill97 said:

No. Hotel rate of 4,000 Baht, booking commission 100 percent equals 4,000 for total of 8,000baht. Hotel gets 4,000, customer pays 8,000.

If the advertised rate is 4,000 the customer pays 4,000, 100% commission = 4,000 hotel gets 0%

If the advertised rate is 8,000 the customer pays 8,000, 100% commission = 8,000 hotel gets 0%

If the advertised rate is 8,000 the customer pays 8,000, 50% commission = 4,000 hotel gets 50%

This seems simple math

please demonstrate how this is incorrect 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I do rather like your optimism, and lack of business sense, I would dislike being a business partner with you as I would be going out of business rather quickly.

Wages are quite likely to depend on time not flat rate and even if flat rate the staff have less time to complete other tasks.

You may pay the hotel for the food, drinks and get them to book other things for you, personally I am like many people I know and have never paid more than the room rate so your imaginary extra income is precisely that, imaginary 

I have very good business sense ......... which essentially made me enough money to not work past age 45 for the rest of my life.

Edited by BritManToo

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

If the advertised rate is 4,000 the customer pays 4,000, 100% commission = 4,000 hotel gets 0%

If the advertised rate is 8,000 the customer pays 8,000, 100% commission = 8,000 hotel gets 0%

If the advertised rate is 8,000 the customer pays 8,000, 50% commission = 4,000 hotel gets 50%

This seems simple math

please demonstrate how this is incorrect 

There are numerous ways to define and to calculate "commissions".  Your example is one but certainly not the only one.

4 hours ago, Dante99 said:

There are numerous ways to define and to calculate "commissions".  Your example is one but certainly not the only one.

Well rather than giving a totally non answer please give a couple of ways that explain your reasoning.

So far, though in my extremely simplistic example , you haven’t managed to explain how a 100% commission (though I rather doubt the existence of one, except as I said in extraordinary situations) gives anything to the hotel.

I am certainly not any kind of expert in the ways and would like to be educated.

I am clear that I don’t believe in the 100% commission in general but unless you can show a way that my logic is unsound the principle is sound.

making claims, is easy to quote the Bard William Shakespeare Henry IV, Part I, Act III, Scene 1
“Glendower: I can call the spirits from the vasty deep.
Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
But will they come, when you do call for them?”

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Well rather than giving a totally non answer please give a couple of ways that explain your reasoning.

Far from a non answer.  Nothing about my reasoning.  There are very standard accepted practices for manly different commission situations, none of which I invented or involve my reasoning.  You can look some up, I am not interested in holding your hand.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1