Justice minister praises Thaksin as a “peacemaker”

webfact

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The Justice Ministry will call a meeting of the corrections committee on January 11th, to consider the rules for screening convicts who are qualified to serve their remaining terms outside a prison, according to a well-informed source in the Justice Ministry.

REMAINING terms.... now there's a thing.

Does doing a couple of hours qualify as serving some time?

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:
16 hours ago, impulse said:

Taiwan, Singapore, Korea

All pretty much corruption-free, and all far more prosperous, Join the dots,,,,,,

But they didn't start out that way.  In each case, a ruthless (corrupt) strongman started them down that path.  I'm not saying Thaksin's that guy for Thailand.  I don't know that much about his reign.  But I sure don't see anyone else that could.

And a small glimmer of hope is better than no hope at all.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, impulse said:

But they didn't start out that way.  In each case, a ruthless (corrupt) strongman started them down that path.  I'm not saying Thaksin's that guy for Thailand.  I don't know that much about his reign.  But I sure don't see anyone else that could.

And a small glimmer of hope is better than no hope at all.

He was convicted for corruption, largely related to a piece of land his wife purchased, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, impulse said:

As I see it, Thailand's problem is that there's too many snouts in the trough and not enough left over for real development.  Taiwan, Singapore, Korea, the strongest Asian economies were all started down the road to prosperity by a crooked guy who had the strength to control unfettered access to the trough.  (Edit:  I'd add Japan, too.  But I don't think MacArthur was crooked)   Made their families immensely wealthy, but their countries, too.  

Is there anyone alive that could do that for Thailand?  Thaksin is the only one I know of, with the stones, the cunning, and the business experience to do it.

Whether he will (would?) or not, I have no clue.   My stint in Thailand started after he was ousted, and a year or two before Yingluck got couped out the door.  I'd hope he would try to leave a favorable legacy in his remaining years. 

In certain sense I would agree. Thaksin indeed got the ability to reconcile the country and stop fighting between different political groups. And even 3 of 10 Baht would go into his own pockets he got visions where this country's path will lead.

However, without the young generation represented by Pita we'll have a stalemate. So we'll see Thaksin's willingness to bring this country forward next. You mentioned other opponents: they are NO kingdoms. And on this point Ill stop.🙏

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

A peacemaker and praised?? for not being in jail? for divide the Thai society more than ever??

The only division around this issue is that the vast majority of Thais are indifferent to the ongoing circus.

The HiSo of Bangkok and the fulminating farang on here need their red meat in order to satiate their hatred for an old man who they have never met and who has had no negative impact on their lives.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 2
  • Love It 1