Judgement day for Pita: A closer look at case that could change Thai politics

webfact

image.png

The Constitutional Court is set to rule on Wednesday (January 24) whether Pita Limjaroenrat, the initial front-runner to become Thailand’s 30th prime minister, violated the charter by contesting last year’s election while holding shares in a media company.

The former leader of the reformist Move Forward Party is accused of holding 42,000 shares in iTV Plc when he registered to contest the May 2023 election. A guilty verdict would result in Pita being disqualified from office and losing his seat in Parliament.

It could also prompt the Election Commission (EC), which brought the case, to sue Pita for violating the election law, which states that anyone contesting an election while knowingly unqualified to do so faces one to 10 years in prison, a fine of 20,000-200,000 baht, and 20 years with no electoral rights.

An EC subcommittee earlier suggested that criminal action against Pita be dropped due to a lack of incriminating evidence, but the election commissioners have reportedly postponed their decision to see whether any such evidence is mentioned in Wednesday’s court verdict.

If the court finds that iTV is not a media business, Pita will retain his MP seat. In that case, he is expected to return as leader of Move Forward and therefore of the parliamentary opposition.

Both seats are currently held by Chaithawat Tulathon, who replaced Pita last September after being elected at a general meeting of the party. Pita had stepped down amid uncertainty over his MP status to pave the way for a new Move Forward chief to become the opposition leader.

Chaithawat has vowed to step down for Pita to return as leader if he is cleared by the court.

Full story: Thai PBS 2024-01-23

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us today!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, retarius said:

It is a good law because it prevents people who control the media from participating in elections. 

And please explain what the problem is with owning mediashares.. Mediashares make it a good or bad person/ politician??

• Confused 3

It seems likely that he will punished by being banned from political activity. The ruling elite are frightened by his views, and by his popularity.

On 3/15/2023 at 6:12 AM, redwood1 said:

Minister health, Minister of transport, Minister of weed.....This guy can do it all...

On 3/25/2023 at 10:37 AM, scorecard said:

Agree, every few seconds it appears on the rght side of my screen, not small, have to keep moving what I'm reading or what I;m writing to above the advertising. 

Really annoying.

I realize the site needs revenue but there's plenty of other spaces the ads could be plced.

Please move this advertising to another spot on the screen.  as said really really annoying.

On 3/27/2023 at 2:36 AM, still kicking said:

Why call it ping pong the name is table tennis 

On 11/23/2023 at 7:09 PM, bignok said:

The roads are better, the streets are cleaner but f me sideways its boring. $8 a beer in a pub to watch keno. $33 for steak and salad. The barmaids are 70kgs and no go. 

On 12/14/2023 at 7:58 PM, CanadaSam said:

I just don't get it.  When I was younger, there was never any type of gay sex or even kissing on TV, movies.

Now, it seems that almost every show has gay scenes, and I'm worried about the impact it has on youngsters.

It really seems like TV, movies make it look like it's perfectly normal, and I don't believe that it is!

I mean if everyone was gay, there would be no next generation of humans, right?

On 12/28/2023 at 1:03 PM, Mr Meeseeks said:

Two days later.

On 1/13/2024 at 1:16 PM, bbko said:

Make the bull owners pay for injuries and suffering.

On 1/16/2024 at 1:11 PM, John Drake said:

These people are the end of it all. This is what national collapse looks like.

• Confused 1

Pita is a threat to the establishmen-archy. They will show no mercy.

But they will do it in the typically two-faced cowardly Thai way and appear to kindly smile while plotting to seal his fate.

• Agree 1

Good news. It was a dodgy charge to begin with.
It was not him as a person,

it was him as ‘Juristic Person’

‘his father’s executor’. 

But also, not a lick of ‘media business’ was done in 15 years by this dormant company, just waiting for a law suit to finish. Nothing to do with manipulating the electorate unfairly.
So a good call by the CC.

Edited by animatic

On 1/23/2024 at 2:06 PM, BritScot said:

Weren't the shares in a company that had stopped trading ie a folded company well before he became an mp? 

yes...no longer doing or did any sort of trading for years.

On 1/23/2024 at 2:01 PM, retarius said:

It is a good law because it prevents people who control the media from participating in elections. 

It doesn't and didn't stop the military who own many national radio and TV stations in Thailand, from before the last coup until now.

If the military own many national radio and TV stations in Thailand, they should automatically be disbarred from politics.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/23/2024 at 5:17 AM, ikke1959 said:

all charges should be dropped and the stupid law should be out of the constitution or whatever they call the law in Thailand.. Everything in it is just to protect the wealth and famous and the army..With a coup the constitution is worthless and the army have to write a new one. Now they want some changes and it seems impossible.. I hope Pita wins, the Government is brought down and new Election with a true PM that will change Thailand for the best

Then the tanks roll in again. 

7 hours ago, RamblingOn said:

RTA????

This lot:

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

It doesn't and didn't stop the military who own many national radio and TV stations in Thailand, from before the last coup until now.

If the military own many national radio and TV stations in Thailand, they should automatically be disbarred from politics.