Federal Jury Orders Donald Trump to Pay $83.3 Million in Defamation Case

Social Media

34 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Maybe we have different ideas about what constitutes common decency, it certainly seems that way.

See, there it is again, this assumption that you are the standard and anyone who disagrees with you (which on this topic I actually don't) is somehow lacking.   

This is not about common decency, I believe Trump is an amoral heel. My comments are specifically directed at the way you choose to crow your own superiority.   

I believe that one can achieve what you call "common decency" without being either self-righteous or patronizing. 

• Confused 5

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I wear my disdain for the blackguard Trump with pride and I delight in seeing him held to account.

You might refer to this as ‘self righteousness’, well it’s far better than obfuscating the moral corruption that Trump represents.

And let’s be clear about this, it’s precisely his moral corruption that many of his supporters find so appealing.

if only your strident occupation of the moral high ground were limited solely to Trump

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/27/2024 at 11:15 AM, ozimoron said:

That's not my understanding. Trump is appealing the amount of damages in the first trial, not the actual guilty verdict. Correct me if I'm wrong. If that's the case then a victory on the damages awarded in the first trial will have no impact on the second.

On 1/27/2024 at 11:27 AM, jerrymahoney said:

You are wrong.

Trump is appealing the verdict in the first trial.  I don't think he is appealing just the compensatory damages assessed. 

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/05/11/trump-appeals-verdict-liable-for-sexual-assault-00096568

2 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

In the first defamation trial trump was penalized $5 million. He was required to post that plus some extra, totaling $5.5 million. He could not find a surety or bondsman willing to post even than small amount, so bad is his reputation. It is highly unlikely he will find anyone to post this new $83.3 million plus, which he will be required to post as soon as he files an appeal.

Unless a family member ponies up, or he posts assets worth a multiple of the penalty, donny is going to have to find the money somewhere else. He does have $30 million in a Chinese bank, so that could be part of it, but the rest?  Fire sale time.

Trump will not appeal the second verdict, he will rely on the first verdict being overturned, which would make the second verdict moot.

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

IMO it is doubtful Trump could raise the money to appeal the second case. The bond would be $83 million. He can't get it from the family, there's a special master in the NY fraud case specifically to prevent Trump transferring funds. Permit me to doubt he would get anyone stupid enough outside the family to stand for him.

The appeal of the first case could be quite entertaining. I am betting Trump will throw his attorneys of that case under the bus, saying he had inadequate representation.

That creates two problems. Who is going to replace Alina Habba? After the drubbing she got from Judge Kaplan, and also lying to him, she has zero credibility. What sane lawyer wants to put their reputation on the line by representing Trump?

The second problem for Trump is Joe Tacopina. If he throws him under the bus, it's a safe bet Joe will come back swinging. He is noted as a bare-knuckle brawler in a court room.

Throwing attorneys under the bus does not win appeals. 

Trump is going to have to do better than that to win his appeal.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Throwing attorneys under the bus does not win appeals. 

Trump is going to have to do better than that to win his appeal.

Agreed, but Trump probably thinks it does.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, impulse said:

With the appeal soon to follow...

Assuming the verdict is disgorgement at the low end - $250 million - where do you think Trump will find that amount to post bond? Who do you think will be stupid enough to lend him the money?

This isn't Trump selling BS trading cards, or grifting his rubes for a few million. This is serious money.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1