Japanese Man Chased By Knife-Wielding Cabbie After Dispute Over Not Using The Meter

webfact

I'm sure the obligatory wai from the driver to the Japanese guy will happen for the TAT press photographers.

A couple of days later, your salt-of-the-earth cabbie will return a full wallet of money / lost Rolex to it's ditzy tourist owner. Hoorah!

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Well at least the Cops have brought 4 charges against him. Not sure about the "Frightening Other People" one, can you be charged with frightening yourself? I'd better be more careful in the future. :coffee1:

1 minute ago, alex8912 said:

I lived and worked in Japan for two years. If you read the post the Japanese man was in Thailand a long time. I bet he even spoke Thai and if he was here for sometime he probably should. "Thai taxi" is the easiest and most important Thai  to learn when visiting here a lot   It helps. You know what's a REAL crime?  The price of a taxi in Tokyo bud! When a red eyed appearing to be drunk taxi driver is flagged down by you next time and he rolls the window down to speak with you please say " sayonara krub "!! 

My wife's brother was a taxi driver, nice guy outside the cab, Mr Hyde in it. He kept a weapon in his cab too. I have had a couple of issues with BKK taxi drivers over the years..... mostly avoid using them.

Prices of cabs in Tokyo is only relevant in relation perhaps to Japanese expectations of using the meter. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

There is such a simple solution to this. You ask about the meter before you get into the cab. I always do that. And I don't get into a cab with a wasted driver. 

Darwin was right. The theory of natural selection, means we all have to exhibit certain survival skills, to thrive in this world. Self protection is just one of those skills. Some have it, some do not.

I agree, 

you need to weigh up the odds. 

Fight or flight.  Opposition is armed, you are not... Simple answer: Flight

(Unless your name is John Wick) 

• Haha 2

Why can't they finish the article here? Why do you keep going back to the source?

The Japanese man then said, “I’ll get off then,” and did so, slamming the door shut.

The cabbie got out of his vehicle, chased and kicked him, then went back and returned with a knife in his hand.

The Japanese man said he ran for his life and when he turned around again, he saw that the cabbie had returned to his vehicle and started to drive away. He quickly took some photos.

He confirmed that he was not injured and reported the incident to police.

The superintendent of Huai Khwang police station later said while the victim reported the incident on Feb. 5, he did not leave his address or phone number. However he returned the next day and an investigation was quickly launched and the taxi driver arrested, TV Channel 7 said.

He has been charged with assault, frightening other people, carrying a knife and charging a fare in excess of prescribed limits.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, liddelljohn said:

Had same thing happen in BKK back in 2016 my Thai wife asked the driver to put the meter on when we hailed a taxi  at lumpini park to go to Pakret, next moment he went ape and  produced a knife ,, but i got the jump on him and the cops came and beat him up again and took him to jail, he also lost his taxi and license  and a 5 year jail term .. its not unusual  in Bangkok .

Worst I'm aware of:  Young very beautiful italian female professor accepted a short-term teaching contract, in Economics, in English, at a Bkk uni.

Uni booked her into a nice hotel about 4 Km from the campus and sent her several messages in Thai script, that she could give to taxid drivers etc.

Hotel picked her up at Suvanabhumi airport.

First morning hotel hailed a taxi and the professor gave the driver the note, in Thai, with the address of the uni.

On arrival driver had locked all doors and refused to let her out. Lady professor realized many people were very close nearby walking into the uni. She banged on the window several times and 2 male students went to investigate.  Driver refused to unlock the doors saying he would unlock:

- when she paid 500Baht (should be about 50 - 60Baht), and

- when the lady allowed him to touch her legs.

She refused.

Students noted that 2 cops were standing nearby and asked the cops to intervene. Initially they refused. 

Students called the uni dean's office and requested deans office take action.

Much more snr cop arrived quickly plus the dean arrived. Driver still won't unlock the doors. Cop say there's nothing they can do.

Students decided to take action, they find a length of steel pipe and smash the window and unlock the door and get the lady out of the car.

More snr cops arrive and berate the cops already on the scene. Driver taken away in handcuffs.

Dean of uni now very concerned that the lady will insist to cancel the lessons and fly home to Italy that day.

The 2 male students make a plan; they will go to the hotel every morning in a private car and bring her to the uni and same in reverse to accompany her back to the hotel early evening and if she wished they had dinner with her.

Dean asks the hotel to employ an extra security staff (at uni expense) to sit outside her room all night.

Course ends, uni tries to arrange a farewell event. Lady professor refuses to attend. Uni asks her to please come back to lecture more courses. She refuses.

Nothing ever heard again from the police. Requests to the police for info on what happened to the taxi driver all ignored. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I see they seem to prey on people less likely to fight back, hopefully they don't make the mistake of attacking the wrong foreigner, some of us are prone to extreme violence on a scale Thai's have never seen before.

• Agree 1

I had this happen once. When he started driving off I opened the rear door while he was driving. The cab immediately stopped and I just got out and walked away. Saved a lot of explaining and misunderstandings.

Edited by JimTripper

3 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Soft power to atrack tourists, another example of the taxi scams, but a failing government policy to solve this problem. Strict rules and enforcement are needed.

The government has no interest in it as I doubt that many ministers take taxis. If they really wanted to solve the problem of drivers not using the meter or refusing a fare, refusing to take money from potential passengers and then claiming they are poor, they only need to get a few dozen, maybe more, soldiers out of their barracks where they do who knows what all day, dress them in civilian clothes and set them the task of trying to actually get a taxi driver to do their job and if they refuse then arrest and fine them a few thousand baht (they can afford it as they are so rich they don't need passengers in their taxi to make money). Second offence, remove their license. If they attack passengers, send them straight to jail. Start outside hotels and shopping malls.

But, as with every law that is ignored, no-one actually cares. It's just the normal way of life which every Thai knows will never change. The problem for Thailand is that sometimes foreigners get caught up in the anarchy and don't accept it as normal, and they don't stick their head in the sand but let others know what has happened. In this case, the Japanese are not too keen on that kind of treatment and might decide there are better places to visit, places with a semblance of law and good manners.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Prices of cabs in Tokyo is only relevant in relation perhaps to Japanese expectations of using the meter. 

And Japanese wages compared to Thai. Comparing prices between countries is pointless unless you factor in the wage level of each.

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The government has no interest in it as I doubt that many ministers take taxis. If they really wanted to solve the problem of drivers not using the meter or refusing a fare, refusing to take money from potential passengers and then claiming they are poor, they only need to get a few dozen, maybe more, soldiers out of their barracks where they do who knows what all day, dress them in civilian clothes and set them the task of trying to actually get a taxi driver to do their job and if they refuse then arrest and fine them a few thousand baht (they can afford it as they are so rich they don't need passengers in their taxi to make money). Second offence, remove their license. If they attack passengers, send them straight to jail. Start outside hotels and shopping malls.

But, as with every law that is ignored, no-one actually cares. It's just the normal way of life which every Thai knows will never change. The problem for Thailand is that sometimes foreigners get caught up in the anarchy and don't accept it as normal, and they don't stick their head in the sand but let others know what has happened. In this case, the Japanese are not too keen on that kind of treatment and might decide there are better places to visit, places with a semblance of law and good manners.

Indeed, but they complain that the tourists don't come in big numbers anymore, But 1 Japanese man will tell his story to his family and they tell it to their friends and so more people are avoiding the country. And this is just 1 example but there are many others

2 hours ago, mokwit said:

The meter has to be adjusted to provide a living wage first, then you go after the ones refusing to use it. This taxi anarchy was precipitated by the previous government not allowing adjustment in line with living costs as they felt a low flag fall was liked by tourists - for all their concern about Thailand's image one of the most damaging things to Thailand's image is the behaviour of the bad half of taxi drivers - tourists coming here have never seen anything like it and it leaves a very bad taste in their mouths.

INdeed and even worst they tell family and friends they they will think twice before they come.. taxis are 1 example but many others there are too

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Soldiers? Just get the lazy police officers sitting in air con rooms, who are doing nothing, back out on the streets enforcing the laws on a regular basis. I would send them out every day, and would expect regular reports of what they were doing all day, then match that up to traffic accident and crime reporting.....if no reduction in those areas and no legitimate use of their time, then fire them. Senior officers should also make regular patrols checking on their officers, traffic rule compliance, taxi rule compliance, and safety within each officers area of assignment. There are plenty of officers, I checked their numbers, they have the same amount per 100,000 citizens that they do in the West.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

Indeed, but they complain that the tourists don't come in big numbers anymore, But 1 Japanese man will tell his story to his family and they tell it to their friends and so more people are avoiding the country. And this is just 1 example but there are many others

You're forgetting social media, and the people that pick it up and spread it throughout the country and the world. And if it then attracts attention from overseas the embarrassed and useless government promises a crackdown which would last a couple of days if it even happens at all. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I would say around 2014/2015 something seriously changed with BKK taxis. They have mostly all gone completely mental and have become very dangerous to hire and ride with. We have had our fair share of incidents but nothing like what happened to my mate, his wife and newborn son. Won’t even get into it here. When in BKK, we either take mass transit or Grab ride (not Grab Taxi). 

6 hours ago, Pique Dard said:

...for sure, he isn't elon musk! that said, it depends on the distance, of course, but i would have paid the 150 without question. life is worth more than that and i wouldn't risk my life for 150 baht  

The point here is not that a person would be willing to risk his or hers life for 150 baht. The point is that it should not exist. The violent taxi drivers are a menace to this country, and they must be put in place. They should once and for all be told to treat customers with respect, always use the meter and never carry any things that can be used as weapons to work or in their cars. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Xonax said:

The tourists are back in Bangkok and so are the crooked taxi drivers. During the covid pandemic, they were few and far between.

When a taxi driver rolls down the window, you know that something is not right. Either he will not use the meter, or he will be selective about the destination. All the honest taxi drivers will let you open the back door to get in and tell your destination. 

Exactly this.

11 minutes ago, orchis said:

Had one coming after me with  wooden club once, also once had to jump out of a taxi at a red light because of erratic driving very high driver.

The reason I bought a car here was because of the dangerous taxi drivers and bus drivers I encountered while here in my first 3 months. It's bad enough to have every Thai driver driving like laws don't apply to them, and like their life and yours means nothing to them, but being in a taxi or bus driven by one of these lunatics is even more dangerous. 

2 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

I agree, 

you need to weigh up the odds. 

Fight or flight.  Opposition is armed, you are not... Simple answer: Flight

(Unless your name is John Wick) 

Well the other aspect of this equation is that if you end up in a physical altercation with a Thai person you're always going to lose, even if you beat him up you're going to lose, if he beats you up you're going to lose. There's no way to come out of that situation ahead, so it's best just to walk away like you say. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, khunjake said:

I would say around 2014/2015 something seriously changed with BKK taxis. They have mostly all gone completely mental and have become very dangerous to hire and ride with. We have had our fair share of incidents but nothing like what happened to my mate, his wife and newborn son. Won’t even get into it here. When in BKK, we either take mass transit or Grab ride (not Grab Taxi). 

I had an incident with my wife while in Bangkok. The driver got upset that someone cut in front of him - cue start acting like a baby throwing its toys out of the pram, and the taxi driver raced that car, pulled in front of him and slammed on his brakes. This cat and mouse between two morons continued for a few minutes and I demanded the taxi stop and let us out. He refused, so I hit him on the side of the head, not hard, to try and knock some sense into him. He still refused to stop, but once we got to our destination he told my wife he was an off-duty policeman and if he had had his gun with him he would have shot me.

That's never happened to me in any of the other 30+ countries I've been to, only in the land of smiles.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

There is such a simple solution to this. You ask about the meter before you get into the cab. I always do that. And I don't get into a cab with a wasted driver. 

Darwin was right. The theory of natural selection, means we all have to exhibit certain survival skills, to thrive in this world. Self protection is just one of those skills. Some have it, some do not.

Thats a convenient oversimplification Mike...    

Its not always easy to tell if the driver is intoxicated, especially if intoxicated yourself.

If a driver pulls up and 'doesn't' open the window, its usually a good sign, 'cos, if they pull up and open the window, its either to negotiate a fare, or to decide yay or nay.

Thus, if a driver pulls up and stops (no open window), you get in an tell him the destination... all good so far, then he pulls off and instead of switching on the meter, states an elevated fare - you're already locked in and want the driver to stop.

Or... Taxi driver appears drunk only once you are on your way...  so you want the driver to stop so you can get out.

Or... Taxi driver decided he wants to watch a movie with his phone on the dash... you ask the driver not to, he won't, so you ask him to stop so you can get out...

It's not so easy as you point out to avoid the total ayhole of a taxi driver... 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I had an incident with my wife while in Bangkok. The driver got upset that someone cut in front of him - cue start acting like a baby throwing its toys out of the pram, and the taxi driver raced that car, pulled in front of him and slammed on his brakes. This cat and mouse between two morons continued for a few minutes and I demanded the taxi stop and let us out. He refused, so I hit him on the side of the head, not hard, to try and knock some sense into him. He still refused to stop, but once we got to our destination he told my wife he was an off-duty policeman and if he had had his gun with him he would have shot me.

That's never happened to me in any of the other 30+ countries I've been to, only in the land of smiles.

Only once in another Country... in Abu Dhabi the taxi driver, upset at being cut up by another car, aggressively swept round him and slammed on the brakes in front of him...  stupidly I lost it, smacked the driver across the head and threatened to smack the crap out of him... Told him to stop and we go out...  that was that... But as it was Abu Dhabi that might not have ended well for me.

In Thailand I was in what was a potentially dangerous situation with my Wife in a taxi...  She spoke with the driver, gave directions, he drove off....  then asked again the destination, then he decided he didn't want to use the meter. Wife told him to pull over, he wouldn't...  So I sat forwards (back seat) and shouted at him to stop, right now...  he stopped and went to get something out of the centre console, I put my hand on the lid of the centre console, told my Wife to get out...   looked him in the eye and told him to go.. 

(luckily he did... and the situation didn't escalate).

Too many encounters to list which are negative....  a lot of these guys are unhinged... 

I sympathise because its a crappy job, but its their choice to do that job and its not hard to go from A-B and follow the rules...  but while there are so many good taxi drivers there are also a larger minority who do give them all a bad name. 

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Well the other aspect of this equation is that if you end up in a physical altercation with a Thai person you're always going to lose, even if you beat him up you're going to lose, if he beats you up you're going to lose. There's no way to come out of that situation ahead, so it's best just to walk away like you say. 

I agree with avoiding conflict - but disagree with the implication that you are always going to lose in Thailand as we are foreign. 

Thats not been my experience here.