And so the exodus of quality expats begins. This time it's personal

Galong

1 hour ago, mfd101 said:

I have never been to Phuket and probably will never visit there. In any case, it is not Thailand ...

Yeah, Phuket is not Thailand like Majorca is not Spain. Fun to experience... too bad you never tried and never will 😅

Edited by mikebike
  • Agree 2

40 minutes ago, Galong said:

Or it is TOO MUCH Thailand? 🤔

If so, then your OP is just crud. Your point was traffic etc. Now it's all of Thailand - how many of your "friends" who left for home even tried a more chillaxed part of the country? 

59 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It would take a hell of a lot to convince me to visit Chiang Rai, even for a day. 😉 

It's ok for us old folk that don't do much of anything anymore.

.... As is Chiang Mai .......

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, G_Money said:

For some, I guess living the dream wasn’t a dream after all.  Imagine that!

If your dream (and finances) is based around one single Thai lady, it's more likely to become a nightmare.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Again, I would not know. I'm usually tucked up in bed by 10.30 pm, and I haven't touched alcohol for a year. Even when I was imbibing, I didn't need to be out at 1 am for it.

Oooh you dirty stop out. I am usually in bed before 9pm, so that I can wake up to watch Man City's games.

I haven't imbibed 'shop bought' alcohol for well over  year, but there are places on Lazada where one can buy concentrated grape juice. Nuff said.

Thailand in general is feeling a bit funky. I could just be tired of it after 10 years off and on, but it has a funk that it did not have before. Could be that I'm in Pattaya but I'm not 100 % sure if that's it or not. I can't think of specific reasons, it's just a feeling.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Thailand in general is feeling a bit funky. I could just be tired of it after 10 years off and on, but it has a funk that it did not have before. Could be that I'm in Pattaya but I'm not 100 % sure if that's it or not. I can't think of specific reasons, it's just a feeling.

What does funky really mean?

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, billd766 said:

My dream is based around one single Thai lady and we have been married 24 years this year.

I don't regret a single minute of it.

Well, which is it? Is she single? Or is she married to you? Ha.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

If you have never been there, you won't know what attractions it has. If you have, given your attitude, you would probably miss most of them.

Having been in Pattaya a few times, I would sooner chew razor blades than be a resident there. Phuket sounds like Pattaya squared.

That's why I live in Bangkok. 😉 

9 minutes ago, uttradit said:

Without a photo bragging about marriage doesn't mean much. Some people marry Camilla Parker and are happy.

You would have to be very shallow to judge a person going by their looks .

A persons personality isn't defined by their looks 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Galong said:

Six of my very good friends have had enough of Phuket and all six are leaving because of traffic. Another friend and his family of four just bought a house a relocated here from the UK. After just a few months, they are already looking for ways to leave. 

How many of you have lost friends due to the 'progress' going on in Phuket?

I don't know anyone that would consider living there.   Renting in the past during one high season would be enough to turn anyone off.  Now, low season is simply too congested.   We were there Aug 2023, and can't see us ever returning, unless another pandemic, which case, during last one, we were there 5 times, and pure bliss every time. 

One friend, and this 15 yrs ago had a house at Kamala, and he didn't live there, and rarely used it as a vacation house.  Didn't take long for him to realize it was a mistake.   Strangely he preferred rural Udon Thani & Vientiane to living on Phuket.  Use the rent received to live elsewhere.

• Like 1

phuket isn't thailand. i went there once for an online date/holiday with a lady from malaysia, long story, excellent start, grim ending 😁. anyway, don't see why anyone would choose to base themselves in phuket, there are much pleasanter places to live in thailand.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nick Carter icp said:

You would have to be very shallow to judge a person going by their looks .

A persons personality isn't defined by their looks 

My friend has a good personality. I don't what to marry him. Why you would marry an ugly woman I don't know.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I've been to Phuket a few times and thought it was nice enough. 

I'm always amused when people things like "Phuket, or Bangkok, or Pattaya or Chiang Rai is not Thailand." Of course they're not Thailand. But they are all part of Thailand. I think I would be happy living most anywhere in Thailand. I've been a lot of places, and I like Bangkok. 

I'm sure there are positives and negatives to every place. If I really didn't like here, I'd move. I fully understand why my friends are leaving. They have NOTHING tying them here. Four of them have only lived here for a couple of years.   

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am amazed how many people still go to Phuket, for holiday or to live there

Was there during deepest Covid times and enjoyed it (just after total lock was lifted).

Driving along "ghosttown" Chaweng beach road was special.

But I think it will have been my last visit from all I read.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Could be that I'm in Pattaya but I'm not 100 % sure if that's it or not. I can't think of specific reasons, it's just a feeling.

i would see a doctor about this.