And so the exodus of quality expats begins. This time it's personal

Galong

Phuket is on general downward slide due to overdevelopment. Fancy that? Some expats I know are thinking to move somewhere else. Some things have gotten better and some worse.  The traffic is super bad.  Beaches are mostly trashed. I drive a scooter and the roads require "Bangkok driving" (on sidewalks, running reds, on the wrong side for distances, etc.). 

The food situation has improved. There are so many restaurant options that it feels like a large western city. Supermarkets like Villa Market, Tops Central Floresta, etc. have most things any foreigner would want and the rest can be bought on-line.  The airport has good connections.  The health care/ dental services are very good.  

Edited by swerve
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, swerve said:

I drive a scooter and the roads require "Bangkok driving" (on sidewalks, running reds, on the wrong side for distances, etc.). 

as a new resident of phuket and a former bkk maniac on the roads...i find the traffic here wonderful. even pleasant.

did about 120k plus km in bkk alone in 4 years on a scooter.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dan O said:

The confusing thing for me is how many appear to act like Phuket and Pattaya are the only places in Thailand to live. There is such a variety and abundance of locations to chose from that are a much better life style than just those two. 

2 of the last places I would choose from. All the major cities with an airport or train station provide options.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Galong said:

My friends are leaving, I'm not. I still have plenty of very good friends here.

There are a lot of things that I like about Phuket. I also live in a nice part of town, so it's not touristy. I'm semi-retired and in the tourism business. Business is doing great. I'll fully retire in a couple of years. If Phuket keeps heading in the direction it's heading, I'll consider moving off the island. Phang Nga Town seems like a good option and it is still within easy striking distance of Phuket.

For us it was turning 50 and not having to run a biz... Opened up the whole country! 

1 hour ago, Bobthegimp said:

Better for what? 

I spent a year in a Thai village one weekend and couldn't wait to escape.  No wonder so many men up there become drunks or get murdered by their neighbours.  Pattaya has a bad reputation for antisocial behaviour, but when measured against the population density it comes out favorably in comparison to the rural areas.  Then there's the incest and perverted teachers and monks up there.  No thanks, I prefer the open degeneracy of Pattaya and Phuket. 

Those places seem to fit your attitude and presentation so enjoy them but they are just a drop in the bucket to what Thailand offers. Its not just remote villages but then you'd need to wander about to experience it. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Me too for 14 years, but I've not 'invested' my future in her, and she's essentially instantly replaceable by another one younger and prettier. Don't get me wrong, I love her, but I could love a different one (if required).

33% of the OP pals leaving where "Thai girl done me wrong", never base your life around trusting one woman.

"There're always more pigs in the sh*t..."

2 hours ago, Dan O said:

The confusing thing for me is how many appear to act like Phuket and Pattaya are the only places in Thailand to live. There is such a variety and abundance of locations to chose from that are a much better life style than just those two. 

Yes, I agree.

Not sure, but maybe one reason is that some (many?) farangs don't want to learn Thai, not even a little. That leaves them only the tourist places where a higher part of Thais speak (some) English. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

It would take a hell of a lot to pry me loose from Chiang Rai, although I suppose Chiang Rai is not high on the riff-raff bucket list of places they can spoil for others.

Only the really good places are spoil-worthy, otherwise all the one-horse towns world would have been overrun already 😹

44 minutes ago, mikebike said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Of course Bangkok is Thailand and so is Pattaya and Phuket....I am not sure what certain posters think the "real Thailand" is.....blue sitting chairs and plastic plates most likely.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, mikebike said:

Uhm, "single" as in "individual", not "available". Wasn't that obvious? 

Yes, it was obvious. But I saw it as an opportunity for a bit of wordplay, hence the "ha" at the end. Wasn't that obvious?

1 minute ago, Bday Prang said:

Does somewhere have to be "culturally rich " to be considered to be the real Thailand?  Is Milton keynes less " English" than   Stonehenge ?  Of course not

All these people moaning about "not the real Thailand"   what they mean is , where  they ended up did not match their preconceptions, and they couldn't handle it.

Its all the "real" Thailand

They mean few foreigners. Easy in the large cities. Not so easy in Phuket.

4 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

I'm curious; what constitutes a 'quality expat'?

Somebody exactly  the same as , or considered to be superior by the tossers who use such phrases

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Bobthegimp said:

Better for what? 

I spent a year in a Thai village one weekend and couldn't wait to escape.  No wonder so many men up there become drunks or get murdered by their neighbours.  Pattaya has a bad reputation for antisocial behaviour, but when measured against the population density it comes out favorably in comparison to the rural areas.  Then there's the incest and perverted teachers and monks up there.  No thanks, I prefer the open degeneracy of Pattaya and Phuket. 

Thailand has about 80 sizeable cities. Why are you talking about villages?

• Confused 2