Dinner Parties -Dead?

I'll go first:

Β 

Dinner party, 2016 -six of us went to see John Prine the next night. Up there with Dylan for a show of that type.

Β 

Cocktail Party: Like, '92. 1st wife. She had special glasses just for grapefruit juice, so you know those were some well-made Paloma's.

Β 

Pot Party: 2 weeks ago. With Chinese potheads in Nimman.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

With the advent of social media & smart phones, as well as political toxicity, dinner parties with real participation & interestingΒ  conversation with charming companions have gone the way of the Dodo bird....

I think you are right. I can imagine a table full of guests with their eyes fixated on their cell phones. It's hard to find anyone who is present these days as the cyber world is always the most important.

Β 

A party with a no-phones-allowed rule might be an idea if anyone can manage an hour or two away from their phones.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Me and the neighbors had one when I lived in Chiang Mai years ago. Good turnout and nice outdoor venue. People came from all over town, maybe 40 people or so. Had a catered food spread, makeshirt bar for drinks and a Thai guy played guitar on a small stage. Neighbor got plastered and was banging on people's doors later that night wanting people to help pay for the partyΒ πŸ˜‚

Β 

Have not been to one since. They don't seem very popular in Thailand among expats, or maybe my social network is not what it used to be. I could use a good outdoor keg party for something different then bars.

Edited by JimTripper

4 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Me and the neighbors had one when I lived in Chiang Mai years ago. Good turnout and nice outdoor venue. People came from all over town, maybe 40 people or so. Had a catered food spread, makeshirt bar for drinks and a Thai guy played guitar on a small stage. Neighbor got plastered and was banging on people's doors later that night πŸ˜‚

Β 

Have not been to one since. They don't seem very popular in Thailand among expats, or maybe my social network is not what it used to be. I could use a good outdoor keg party for something different then bars.

It's not surprising you had a good turnout with free catered food and drinks, but who's going to pay?

7 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Me and the neighbors had one when I lived in Chiang Mai years ago. Good turnout and nice outdoor venue. People came from all over town, maybe 40 people or so. Had a catered food spread, makeshirt bar for drinks and a Thai guy played guitar on a small stage. Neighbor got plastered and was banging on people's doors later that night wanting people to help pay for the partyΒ πŸ˜‚

Β 

That's not a dinner party.Β 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

It's not surprising you had a good turnout with free catered food and drinks, but who's going to pay?

That was the problem. One guy bought everything expecting people in the neighboring villas to pitch in later on (we lived in a small compound of 3 villas around a center pond), but nobody was clear on how much was actually to be spent or what the budget was.

Β 

However, at the end people just disappeared. That's why that one guy was banging on people's doors later that night. He was too drunk to sort anything earlier. He got some money, but just token amounts not enough to cover everything. I think it cost around 20k baht or something like that.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

How f-king silly you people are!Β Β 

I just wonder how hard it is to keep to topic and answer a question? Many guys here have major problems and difficulties!Β 

It's a good thing we have a smart*** to keep us all in line.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

I'll go first:

Β 

Dinner party, 2016 -six of us went to see John Prine the next night. Up there with Dylan for a show of that type.

Β 

Cocktail Party: Like, '92. 1st wife. She had special glasses just for grapefruit juice, so you know those were some well-made Paloma's.

Β 

Pot Party: 2 weeks ago. With Chinese potheads in Nimman.

Β 

The evolution thread is over there -------->

4 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

How f-king silly you people are! What is wrong with dinner and cocktail parties? Probably just that itΒ΄s far too expensive life styles for most poor suckers on this forum. Not all, though.

Last time I throw a cocktail party with good music and running lights (like the 70s) was 2 weeks ago. Dinner party was only 1 week ago with most of my neighbors i the block.

I just wonder how hard it is to keep to topic and answer a question? Many guys here have major problems and difficulties!Β 

Not when I’m in Thailand, but at home in France it’s quite common, usually between 6 and 10 of us good friends, good food and drink and a fun evening. We all bring something, wine or dessert .Also we do birthday parties where there’s usually more people. Great meeting up with old friends , good conversation and good laughs.Β 

• Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

With the advent of social media & smart phones,

It's not just the attention span, it's the ability to commit a week out. My wife tried a couple of times and the response was "can we just stop by?".

Β 

Of course, most of our friends are potheads. They're fully embracing a low attention-span/low commitment lifestyle like ourselves.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

My friends and I gather regularly at a bar that serves food Saturday noon. Does that count?

I hafta vote no.

Β 

Conviviality abounding, but a diff vibe from when you plan a menu and mix of people.

Edited by Prubangboy

13 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

How f-king silly you people are! What is wrong with dinner and cocktail parties? Probably just that itΒ΄s far too expensive life styles for most poor suckers on this forum. Not all, though.

Last time I throw a cocktail party with good music and running lights (like the 70s) was 2 weeks ago. Dinner party was only 1 week ago with most of my neighbors i the block.

LOL, last time I checked, those were block parties.Β Β 

Β 

I have a dinner party every year around Christmas with friends

Β 

Cocktail parties are not that prevalent here, but I have been to a few. They are mostly called meet and greets here, I think but theyΒ serve the same purpose.

• Like 1

I liked parties in my youth where you could walk around, listen to music, look for girls and muck about. That was replaced a bit by dinner parties which I didn't like much. Unless it was close friends. It was like a grown up thing with supposed clever banter and witty retorts and people would turn to topics like investments in real estate or some such. Could not escape for a few hours. Praise the host. Not my cup of tea. Older still it became dinner andΒ  game nights and that was kind of fun I suppose.Β 

Β 

My thai girlfriend doesn't have the type of friends that have dinner parties which is fine by me. But going out and doing stuff is ok in a group - thai girls will tend to compete in conversation as to who is best off if they have an expat partner but it's pretty harmless and they tend to be otherwise nice.Β 

16 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

When was the last time you attended or hosted a dinner party (family doesn't count)?

Β 

Extra credit: Cocktail Party or Pot Party.

Β 

It's been a while and I really miss the days when I had friends who would have dinner parties.Β 

I had a place in HK where I could have 8 people for dinner and another with a terrace where I hosted a Xmas dinner for about 24 people.Β 

I've been to one proper sit down dinner party at a friend's condo in Bangkok.Β 

Β 

• Like 1

I think the only regular Dinner / Cocktail parties will be by the various Embassies ,

in the capitol ,Β  because someone else is paying ,and seems a big part of their workΒ 

Β 

regards WorgeordieΒ 

I enjoy dinner parties. But agree they do not seem to be as popular as in the past. In my 30's to 40's seemed every weekend.Β 

Β 

Now,Β  here in Thailand 6 or so times per year.Β 

Although, when we host one, our good neighbour usually has one the following week. Usually 15-20 attend, good fun.Β 

Never really too concerned with cost. When we have one most people will bring booze, or some sort of snack, or gift.Β 

• Like 1