Elderly Swiss cyclist killed in hit-and-run in Sattahip district

snoop1130

Screenshot-2567-02-26-at-1.jpg

A 73 year old Swiss cyclist, was tragically killed in a hit-and-run accident on Sukhumvit Road, in the Sattahip district of Chon Buri, late on Sunday night.

The local police received a report of the incident around 11.30pm, near the vicinity of tambon Na Jomtien. On arrival, they found the senior cyclist in an unconscious state, but attempts at resuscitation proved futile, reported Bangkok Post.

The severity of the injuries sustained by the cyclist was alarming, with significant harm inflicted on his head and the right side of his body. Nearby, his black bicycle lay ruined, a testament to the horrific incident.

Eyewitness accounts provided to the police indicated the involvement of a speeding car in the accident. The unidentified vehicle reportedly struck the cyclist, slowed down momentarily, and then sped off, leaving the scene.

The police are presently conducting investigations into the matter while the victim’s identity remains undisclosed, awaiting the notification of his next of kin.

A similar accident was reported a couple of days ago. Huay Yai Provincial Police Station promptly responded to another road accident along the Sattahip – Korat road in Bang Lamung district, Chon Buri.

Upon their arrival, officers discovered the body of a foreign individual, suspected to be an expatriate resident, submerged in a nearby watercourse. Initial assessments indicated that the victim, aged approximately between 60 to 70 years old, had suffered a fatal neck injury.

Close to the scene, a damaged bicycle and a black pickup truck were found, suggesting a collision had taken place. The driver of the pickup truck, identified as Samreang Unan, confessed to colliding with the cyclist, later identified as Win Scherrenberg, alleging the cyclist had suddenly changed lanes.

Despite concerted efforts, authorities were unable to determine the victim’s nationality. With the absence of CCTV footage, the investigation heavily relied on eyewitness accounts and physical evidence.

Consulates were enlisted to aid in confirming the victim’s identity and offering further support in the ongoing investigation.

By Mitch Connor

Caption: Photo courtesy of Thai News

Source: The Thaiger 2024-02-26

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 20

35 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

I agree. My brother was killed while cycling in South Africa. The roads in Thailand are not cycle friendly because of the way locals drive. 

One thing I will always recall is that....

We once had an extremely nice lady who did the cleaning and managing of our building.

Then, I left for China.

When I returned, she was no longer working at the building.

I asked if she had retired.

The owner told me that she had not retired.

She had, instead, been killed.

She had been run down by a pickup truck, while riding on her tiny motorbike.

She was such a nice person.

So kind.

Always a smile

Hard to forget this.

And that was over eight years ago.....

• Like 1
  • Sad 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, neverere said:

No Thai's use bicycles? Are you sure about that. I see many daily, not a stitch of Lycra to be seen.

Omg ..he was using slang " the Lycra" crowd , in other words the new age young type maybe Bangkokians , ever walked thru Lumpini park in the morning?

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Hit and run should be a mandatory jail time.

Getting away from a mob, I get that, but you hand yourself in at the next town, regardless.

R.I.P. old guy.

Don't ride at night on bicycles, it's just not smart.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Eyewitness accounts provided to the police indicated the involvement of a speeding car in the accident. The unidentified vehicle reportedly struck the cyclist, slowed down momentarily, and then sped off, leaving the scene.

Leaving the scene is manslaughter in my book.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, transam said:

R.I.P. chap..

But riding a black pushbike at night, in town does seem a bit recless at that age, or any age, for that matter.......... 🤔

And Sukhumvit..... a road I avoid on my motorcycle even. 

• Like 2