A closer look at Wise and Revolut's key features, and where they excel

7 hours ago, Powder said:

Other options?  i have no idea

Schwab one international you can use your foreign address and telephone number.  You do need to deposit $25,000 to open an account or transfer stock shares into the account equal to that.  Their debit card has no fees and rebates the foreign fees too.  Plus there is a $15 fee to wire money but they rebate that too.

You would have to check with them about moving money from your home country to them.  It's easy and free with a US bank account I'm not sure about other countries.

Edited by rwill

14 hours ago, BenStark said:

When you have money on your Wise card already, they obviously don't need to wait for the money to arrive from your local bank.

Well, not really. Wise is not a bank. The money is held in another US bank.

To be clear. I keep the money on the Wise card in US dollars so I can get the 4.XX% interest. If I change some of the money to Baht, I lose the interest and I assume Wise at that point holds the Baht. Since I have never done it I don't know if the bank holding the dollars charges a fee when converting dollars on the card to Baht.

Correct me if I am wrong here, but I have been told that when using a CC or debt from another country, if asked " do you want to pay in dollars or baht", always say dollars. You will get Visa/MC transfer rate. If you say baht, you will get the bank they are using's transfer rate which is usually a lot less.

Edited by bunnydrops
addition
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, george said:

They only snail mail the physical card to Thailand at your request, but require an address in your home country, on file (TIN tax reasons). 

It takes 4 weeks to arrive and that's past the due date of 3 weeks that then makes you panic, courier costs £20 and arrives in 5 days both cards did arrive but I already canceled the first snail mail one  🤔

23 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

Hmm...I sent some AUD to my Thai bank account last night, still waiting for the funds.

You will get an email explaining exactly which day your money will arrive. No hmmmm about it. If they say on Wednesday you get Wednesday.

1 hour ago, Martin Brit said:

You will get an email explaining exactly which day your money will arrive. No hmmmm about it. If they say on Wednesday you get Wednesday.

You didn't read the post I replied to, did you?

8 hours ago, bunnydrops said:

Correct me if I am wrong here, but I have been told that when using a CC or debt from another country, if asked " do you want to pay in dollars or baht", always say dollars. You will get Visa/MC transfer rate. If you say baht, you will get the bank they are using's transfer rate which is usually a lot less.

Actually, the opposite. I pay far less in dollars by choosing to pay in baht.

• Agree 2

22 hours ago, Surasak said:

Friday is a no, no unless done before 08:30 am Thai time.

Disagree.  Did my 4 week pension TX this morning at 0935 as usual as money hits the UK account between 0915-0930 usually!  Money in BKK account withing seconds.  Using UK Bank debit card to wise then TX to BKK monthly living expenses!

9 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Disagree.  Did my 4 week pension TX this morning at 0935 as usual as money hits the UK account between 0915-0930 usually!  Money in BKK account withing seconds.  Using UK Bank debit card to wise then TX to BKK monthly living expenses!

So, I'm all out of medals just now. If it worked, it worked. Good luck.

On 2/29/2024 at 12:46 PM, BenStark said:

Depends on the method you choose to transfer the money.

As I explained already, if I select credit or debit card, it is with Wise instantly.

If I select bank transfer, it isn't instant, and my bank also doesn't make a secret of that. All transfers done by my bank take up to 48 hours to be executed and there are no transfers during the weekends.

I have no problem with that, since my bank informed me, and in return for that I get a higher interest as other banks and no monthly maintenance fee on my accounts. In other banks it would cost me 50 euros per year just to maintain a basic account, which I rarely use since I live in Thailand

I'm sure there are other banks, but not all,  that work with the same principle.

I dont need it explaining to me lol

I use bank transfer every time and the money lands in SCB before I can even log in to the app.....in fact 1-2 seconds from pressing send to Wise the ping hits from the SCB app

RBS to Wise to SCB

24/7...

9 minutes ago, Chivas said:

I dont need it explaining to me lol

I use bank transfer every time and the money lands in SCB before I can even log in to the app.....in fact 1-2 seconds from pressing send to Wise the ping hits from the SCB app

RBS to Wise to SCB

24/7...

You don't need explaining, but reading classes you surely need.

All transfers done by MY bank take up to 48 hours to be executed, and there are no transfers during the weekends.

I have no problem with that, since my bank informed me, and in return for that I get a higher interest as other banks and no monthly maintenance fee on my accounts. In other banks it would cost me 50 euros per year just to maintain a basic account, which I rarely use since I live in Thailand

Edited by BenStark

2 hours ago, BenStark said:

You don't need explaining, but reading classes you surely need.

All transfers done by MY bank take up to 48 hours to be executed, and there are no transfers during the weekends.

You've been offensive to multiple people on this thread and elsewhere

Off you pop fella x

(out of interest I suggest you get a proper bank where all transfers are instant)

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Chivas said:

You've been offensive to multiple people on this thread and elsewhere

Because same as you, they can't read, and I told already why I don't care that my bank takes that long but again you failed to read that as well, as I can use credit or debit card from the same bank and have it transferred instantly

3 hours ago, BenStark said:

Now please keep your promise to put me on ignore, since it is clear from many posts on this forum over the last 6 months, that YOU are on the ignore list of many

• Sad 1

On 2/29/2024 at 8:55 PM, bradiston said:

I tried to sign up for revolut in Thailand. They said I couldn't. End of.

You certainly can. But you must use a VPN connected to your home country, and give them an address (can be any, a friend's or a family member's), and a phone number.

You will even get your physical card sent to your door in Thailand by DHL, if you say you're on a vacation there, if they ask. 

Been there, done that. I opened an account while in Thailand.

Then you're good to go.

Edited by thaibreaker

On 3/1/2024 at 8:04 AM, sammieuk1 said:

It takes 4 weeks to arrive and that's past the due date of 3 weeks that then makes you panic, courier costs £20 and arrives in 5 days both cards did arrive but I already canceled the first snail mail one  🤔

I ordered it, they used DHL free of charge, my Revolut card was at my door in Thailand within 4 days.

I have a metal account btw, maybe that helps. Insurance and some other benefits included (free Nordic VPN etc), 170 NOK a month.

25 minutes ago, thaibreaker said:

You certainly can. But you must use a VPN connected to your home country, and give them an address (can be any, a friend's or a family member's), and a phone number.

You will even get your physical card sent to your door in Thailand by DHL, if you say you're on a vacation there, if they ask. 

Then you're good to go.

Quite honestly, I don't see the point. Wise does everything I need without VPNs, fake addresses or fake phone numbers.

• Haha 1

Can any UKers advise if revolut card is widely accepted in UK?

I visit there pretty much yearly now and will soon have an extended visit. I find almost no place accepts cash anymore and while i have US credit cards, there is the currency conversion factor to consider so thinking of getting Revolut card to use in UK. ??

Also how does one add money, can it be through a direct bank transfer or do I have to use a credit card?

I am nto interested in doing fund transfers so that is nto a factor. Just looking for efficient way to pay for things while in the UK.

My Australian bank (NAB) has lifted its game just in the last 2 weeks. Used to be that, when I requested a transfer to Wise Oz, it took till next morning to arrive there. Now it takes 5 seconds.

Which means that, depending what time of day (in Oz) I make the request to Wise (purpose: long stay in TH), I can get it to BKK Bank same day or - as before - at 1400 ICT next day. The choice is now mine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibreaker said:

Then you're good to go.

Don’t need the U.K. VPN .

I signed up, no VPN, Thailand phone number and U.K. address, no problems.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I visit there pretty much yearly now and will soon have an extended visit. I find almost no place accepts cash anymore and while i have US credit cards, there is the currency conversion factor to consider so thinking of getting Revolut card to use in UK. ??

Also how does one add money, can it be through a direct bank transfer or do I have to use a credit card?

I am nto interested in doing fund transfers so that is nto a factor. Just looking for efficient way to pay for things while in the UK.

Yea, the Revolut card is a VISA card so it’s valid worldwide where VUSA is accepted.

You can top up your Revolut account with credit card or debit card. And bank transfer.

• Thanks 1

On 2/29/2024 at 7:09 PM, dayo202 said:

I didn't use a UK bank for the transfer I use revolut.

BBL changed me 200฿ because the transfer came up as a swift transfer from revolut

I have just checked my last transfer from Revolut to Bangkok Bank. Revolut fee approx 30B. No charge from BB. Must admit I don't really know what a Swift transfer is

32 minutes ago, Greenwich Boy said:

I have just checked my last transfer from Revolut to Bangkok Bank. Revolut fee approx 30B. No charge from BB. Must admit I don't really know what a Swift transfer is

Was the transfer instantly?

Great exchange rate or not?

6 hours ago, george said:

Yes they do.

Thanks, did you get a card sent to a Thai address?

Edit, I see above that you can.

Edited by Neeranam

7 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I'd like to know if I can add from Scottish bank and also if I can add crypto -  I know I can exchange for crypto on it. 

On 2/29/2024 at 9:14 AM, WorriedNoodle said:

This thread doesn't seem to mention anywhere that opening a Revolut account needs an address outside Thailand as Thailand is not listed under the eligible countries during sign up process

I opened a new Revolut account a couple of weeks ago from Thailand. The app asks for a Thai phone number and some personal details including nationality.  It then requested a UK post code, I haven't had a UK address for 30 years but input the post code for address at which I lived back in '77, it accepted that with no other details requested and confirmed my new account.  

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thumbs Up 1