Thai university lecturer tried to murder me and got away with it.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:
5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...followed my m/c... I bumped his car that made him angry".

Sounds as though this was initiated by your hit and run!

You're absolutely right, in any trivial car accident the aggrieved party has the right to murder whoever touched his precious car.

I didn't say that, you did!  But good that you clarified that it was your hit-and-run that apparently started it all.   I'm not condoning his action that injured you so severely, just trying to get the full picture right.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Rubbish.

It's all to do with who has most influence, and the foreigner in question obviously doesn't have any.

If you are living here for a long time, you have to integrate and get influence or you'll be run over.

I wouldn't be surprised if the OP is illiterate so is easy meat.

You have influence Neeranam?

Influence is for Thais not us.

Ok..let me rephrase this .

Unless you are a (farang) billionaire or have married into the uppermost echelons of Thai society, forget about it.

How many farangs have those credentials? 

A handful.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its going to be difficult for you to face reality while you operate under extreme bias. 

- You hit his car and didn't stop or apologise (becasue you thought it was nothing?).

- Driver got angry, retaliated and knocked you off - this isn't attempted murder.

- Someone kicking someone, also isn't attempted to kick them to death. 

If you start writing without bias and just tell the facts as they are, you may get better advice... 

Firstly, we do not know if the 'vehicular assault' in you was aggravated, its seems as though it was, but you wont discuss this. 

But this is key as to how seriously this 'attack' is dealt with by the Police and if you (BritMan) have not pushed for a criminal action, then the BiB are hardly likely to be bothered at all. 

A biker crashed into the back of my car, smashing the rear brake lights. 12,000 baht for a new one. He sped off, I hate these types

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

A biker crashed into the back of my car, smashing the rear brake lights. 12,000 baht for a new one. He sped off, I hate these types

Did you follow him and try to kill him?

When it happened to me, I picked him up and sent him on his way.

Edited by BritManToo

Just now, BritManToo said:

When are you going to start acting like a decent person?

IMHO anyone wanting to harm other people, or justifying harm to other people is not a decent person.

Its in the realm of common sense. You spoil someone's day and they might spoil yours.

Lots of expats here don't have a polite bone in their body. This is also demonstrated on the road!

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its going to be difficult for you to face reality while you operate under extreme bias. 

- You hit his car and didn't stop or apologise (becasue you thought it was nothing?).

- Driver got angry, retaliated and knocked you off - this isn't attempted murder.

- Someone kicking someone, also isn't attempted to kick them to death. 

If you start writing without bias and just tell the facts as they are, you may get better advice... 

Firstly, we do not know if the 'vehicular assault' in you was aggravated, its seems as though it was, but you wont discuss this. 

But this is key as to how seriously this 'attack' is dealt with by the Police and if you (BritMan) have not pushed for a criminal action, then the BiB are hardly likely to be bothered at all. 

Well said.

4 minutes ago, VinnieK said:

You have influence Neeranam?

Influence is for Thais not us.

Ok..let me rephrase this .

Unless you are a (farang) billionaire or have married into the uppermost echelons of Thai society, forget about it.

How many farangs have those credentials? 

A handful.

Everyone has influence to some degree. Maybe slightly more than the guy scavanges my bin.

I was a university lecturer about 20 years ago. I had an accident, a car drove at me on the wrong side(was overtaking) on a small Mahasarakham road. I broke some bones in my foot, the local policeman came and tried to say it was my fault.

I made a call to my boss at the uni. He came and we saw the chief of Police at Chiang Yeun. My boss and chief came to an agreement where I'd get 1 month salary as compensation and all my hospital bills paid. The copper's son was going to the uni the next year. His insurance agreed to fix my car. it took longer than they said and I had to rent a car. insurance said they wouldn't pay. Head policeman in Khon Kaen was contacted and said he would sort it out. Had to wait a couple of months as he became a Senator. There was a military coup, kicking out Taksin, so this guy had to flee. Thought it was over until someone at my tennis club said they could help. So farang can get influence, not often by their own doing but by who they know.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

No lawyer required as he signed a confession, it's up to the court to proceed.

Imagine what would happen to one of us foreigners if we ran down a Thai because 'we were angry'?

Lawyer can take civil action, you gave up too easy. Did you see a lawyer to even discuss it?

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

And you have a Dash-cam (rear and fwd facing) and have the video of him doing this and the video of his licence plate ?? (Yes / No ?).

No rear. I'll know next time to grab his keys.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

It's more likely he paid the prosecutor.

The police went to a lot of trouble to track him down and collect evidence.

If he's important enough to pay off the court, he's probably important enough to pay someone to finish the job.

Not my place to rock the boat any more than it is already.

sorry to hear such bad news ....   the problem with the police, the courts, the defendants lawyer and anyone else ... is that you don't know who's doing a deal with who ... he could very well have done some deal with the cops ....  you just don't know. 

It's stinks,  but it's a sad fact, you can't win here no matter what happens or how hard you try ....

TIT ... the police will look after the Thai lecturer first ...   they won't look after a foreigner against a Thai,  and the courts are as much a sham also.   Try your best to get over it and hopefully move on ...

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

Lawyer can take civil action, you gave up too easy. Did you see a lawyer to even discuss it?

As Sheryl says, civil action won't get him jail time.

And I'm not looking for money, don't need it.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

If he had to pay a large amount of money to you that would be punishment, doing nothing certainly isn't punishment. Lawyer can push police for a criminal case also, it's not either or

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Everyone has influence to some degree. Maybe slightly more than the guy scavanges my bin.

I was a university lecturer about 20 years ago. I had an accident, a car drove at me on the wrong side(was overtaking) on a small Mahasarakham road. I broke some bones in my foot, the local policeman came and tried to say it was my fault.

I made a call to my boss at the uni. He came and we saw the chief of Police at Chiang Yeun. My boss and chief came to an agreement where I'd get 1 month salary as compensation and all my hospital bills paid. The copper's son was going to the uni the next year. His insurance agreed to fix my car. it took longer than they said and I had to rent a car. insurance said they wouldn't pay. Head policeman in Khon Kaen was contacted and said he would sort it out. Had to wait a couple of months as he became a Senator. There was a military coup, kicking out Taksin, so this guy had to flee. Thought it was over until someone at my tennis club said they could help. So farang can get influence, not often by their own doing but by who they know.

We can also have influence in the way we act and present ourselves. 

When I was involved in an accident here in my mid 20's.... I was very calm, very polite, but very firm and unwavering in fault. 

After all was dealt with the person *assisting me was asked if I worked at the British Embassy, they apparently taken aback and became somewhat concerned as to my 'connections' given the quiet confidence with which I'd acted. 

* It was an ex GF who assisted - not someone of influence herself, but an overseas Masters Graduate and someone from a background of relative wealth so the police could tell I was not your everyday breed of expat monger.... so I suspect that may have made a difference. 

But, it also matters who we know on occasion.

I recall being in a bar and getting told to move off a certain table by a Policeman, because he wanted to sit there. 

I refused....  he didn't like that and kept saying police, I policeman, you move... I just told him I didn't care.  He hung around attempting to appear menacing but I had an ace up my sleeve. 

I was when I got grabbed from behind, that this guy recognised his mistake... stood up recognised my friend and we hugged.

For the rest of the evening the 'guy who tried to get me to move' was mixing my Whisky Soda and kissing my backside"...   

His boss's (by numerous levels) was my close friend of many years....   the junior policeman found out very quickly his place and my place in the pecking order... 

Its always good to have something in the back pocket in any potential sitation here.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
16 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

If he had to pay a large amount of money to you that would be punishment, doing nothing certainly isn't punishment. Lawyer can push police for a criminal case also, it's not either or

Agreed...  If action is taken to push this to a civil case, it may get the attention of someone higher up the police chain asking, why are we not doing anything about this ???

Or... it 'could' even work if when taking civil action asking why criminal action is not being taken... 

Certainly sitting back and doing nothing means no action will taken at all...  Why would the police here bother if the injured party can't even be bothered ????

• Agree 1

I can understand you feelings, but let it go, it has been dealt with by the police, hopefully you have recovered, do not let it consume you, it will do your health no good blood pressure up, money spent on medicines, you do not want to end up an angry old man.

2 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I agree.  I think many Thais hate us snd would feel no remorse if they ran us down dead.

It seems there are a handful of posters who think like this.... 

There always seems to be some form of common ground....    Bigotry and sweeping generalisations, and while you have not presented a strong example of either in your above 'one liner', your comment does make me wonder if you are not also one of these foreigners who behaves in a 'certain manner' which is why your experience of Thailand more closely matches BritMans, than someone who has experienced a more 'normal integration' into society here. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

And you have a Dash-cam (rear and fwd facing) and have the video of him doing this and the video of his licence plate ?? (Yes / No ?).

I too hate these types, but, it hasn't yet happened to me where any damanage has been caused, but people have clipped my mirrors, usually very midly, they just wave or wai to sai sorry. 

While riding, a couple of times I have 'clipped' someones wing mirrors, it happens... I stop and say sorry, thats the least I can do.

In this case - I'm wondering the exact extent of the 'trigger'.....   (i.e. the sequence of events that led to being chased down).

The OP has not addressed any of the valid points you have raised. I wonder why. Makes a post of being a victim, then says he doesn’t have to explain anything to anyone but still says justice hasn’t been served. 

How many stories of Chinese tourists have we seen blown up in the media that aren’t even close to as serious as what the OP is detailing.

Plenty more to this story we aren’t being told. Any self respecting individual who was almost killed through basically no fault of their own doesn’t press charges and accepts a few thousands baht in hospital bills as a win? Ya sure 

1 minute ago, Startmeup said:

The OP has not addressed any of the valid points you have raised. I wonder why. Makes a post of being a victim, then says he doesn’t have to explain anything to anyone but still says justice hasn’t been served. 

How many stories of Chinese tourists have we seen blown up in the media that aren’t even close to as serious as what the OP is detailing.

Plenty more to this story we aren’t being told. Any self respecting individual who was almost killed through basically no fault of their own doesn’t press charges and accepts a few thousands baht in hospital bills as a win? Ya sure 

What happened to him (BritMan) is clearly appalling...    But, I do think he prefers perpetuating the myth that foreigners here are treated unfairly and posting with that deliberate bias and leaving out key information, rather than actually evaluating the situation with any form of critical accuracy. 

I think that when making threads such as this, people such as the Op are looking for a sympathetic eco-chamber rather than critical feedback.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Startmeup said:

lenty more to this story we aren’t being told. Any self respecting individual who was almost killed through basically no fault of their own doesn’t press charges and accepts a few thousands baht in hospital bills as a win? Ya sure 

The only win would have been for me not to have been injured in the first place. Even me killing the guy wouldn't be a win, as I don't wish injury on any other living being.

Quite frankly,

I'm surprised the police traced him.

I'm surprised my gov min covered the accident.

I'm surprised his insurance repaired my m/c.

I'll be astounded if his insurance give me 4 months sick pay they offered.

I assumed right at the start I'd be footing the bill for everything.

So far, after the hit an run, it's all been a win for me, I didn't think I'd ever ride my mountain bike again.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed...  If action is taken to push this to a civil case, it may get the attention of someone higher up the police chain asking, why are we not doing anything about this ???

Or... it 'could' even work if when taking civil action asking why criminal action is not being taken... 

Certainly sitting back and doing nothing means no action will taken at all...  Why would the police here bother if the injured party can't even be bothered ????

Yep, farang have a bad reputation for just rolling over, giving up including fighting insurance companies for claim denied, guy might have paid the police not to persue 

4 hours ago, Goat said:

You sure he admitted attempted murder? Or just admitted he tried to knock you off your bike?

Thailand has never been colonised and part of the reason is the Thais stick together. I dont think it is a bad thing and has resulted in this country that we love so much we have decided to live here.

You have to take the good with the bad, and the good outweighs the bad by a mile. if it didnt we wouldnt be here.

The reason Thailand was never colonised is because the British and French wanted a buffer zone in between what is now Myanmar and Laos. Thailand being the buffer zone.

• Agree 2