UPDATE: Swiss man’s visa revoked

webfact

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Elephant, singular. 

He only owned 1 elephant, the others were leased. 

All the elephants are being taken care of at his sanctuary, regardless of ownership.

He has licences for all 15 elephants. 

Edited by Mr Meeseeks

41 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Posting title reads 

Technicalities don't bother me, I'm celebrating. 

The order is yet to be issued.  If he has any form of connections he'll be told to go home for a short holiday and return to a different province.  The baying Social Media crowd won't accept him being allowed to stay on Phuket.

• Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, mlkik said:

So ?   You will always be a foreigner and will never be considered Thai.

It is a joke that foreigners think they can become Thai. Yes you can obtain a Thai passport but that does not change who you really are, a Farang!

I am well aware of that, see my other post which states, "they don't understand that we are all fair game and equally worthless in the eyes of the Thais".

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Yes, maybe he should but I just wonder if this case would appear so bad without the Social Media attention?  My Thai friends tell me its all over all the SS platforms constantly.  People act on the spur of the moment and often regret their actions later.

There are foreigners living all over Thailand that I have no doubt have done far worse than he has.  You are not even supposed to be allowed to enter Thailand if you've committed anything more than a minor crime. That's the law but no checks are ever done or asked for - except for some visa types.  The chances are that much more viscious types, even murderers, are living in the country.

I realise that a guest should act in an especially decent way but in a country where a policemen can escape jail when he killed someone through drunk driving, it seems a little strong to deport someone over a kick.

This man has a history of poor behavior, and deserves the official attention he is getting. But this is not a case that should be tried in social media. 

I rarely check my Facebook or Insta but I did today and my feeds are full of local's xenophobic vitriol for this man. It is not about what he did, but what they imagine he represents, and that ain't pretty  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, n00dle said:

Except I don't drink, and haven't for a very long time. So what's your excuse? you seem to be having trouble putting words in order.

Of course, you don't drink.....................😝

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Case is touching a lot of hot buttons: expats who don't respect Thais, public access to beaches, respect for women, resentments over foreign ownership of land squeezing out locals.

During the hearing his exchanges with his wife are in English and at one point he says "I cannot speak Thai."  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a11iQgvYrVI 

My point is if you can't speak the local language, you need to watch your P's & Q's more than he did in the video clip he made of the incident.

It's not easy to make yourself persona non grata in Thailand, but it appears he's managed to do just that.

Turning up for his hearing in shorts and a T shirt - class to the very end.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, MangoKorat said:

That's precisely what I mean, he did wrong but Social Media is magnifying it x 100.  How many Thai guys beat up their wives when they are off their heads of Lao Khao and are just told to apologise and pay a small fine?

I also think that Social Media is bringing out and giving voice to xenophobic sentiment.

That's how the media makes it's money, anywhere, in fact, they did well out of Dave's misjudgement.......:cowboy:

10 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

I hope that his Visa will NOT be revoked - not because he is a fellow Swiss, BUT because Switzerland does not want him back...

Switzerland can not refuse him as he is a Swiss citizen !

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Did you read the thread or just his dramatic subject heading? 

He won't answer what happened to spark the road rage thereby implying maybe he did something like bang the car, flick a finger etc - not that that would justify what happened at all, but it would add some context. HIs silence is deafening. He answers people who give him sympathy, doesn't answer anyone who asks him how it started.

He also said he can't be bothered to press charges and is too lazy to go to the police station to follow up himself, but he just wants a good old whinge in his echo chamber - I assume you're a member of that chamber. In the police's view he was fully compensated for his medical costs and bike repair costs, there is compensation coming from the insurance company, he doesn't want to be bothered to press charges or get a lawyer to do it on his behalf, therefore the matter is resolved. Normal.

In this case the victim immediately decided she would be relentless to get justice so she went to the police to press charges and also went to the media, therefore action was taken. BritManToo couldn't be bothered so the matter is closed. Big difference.

Perhaps BMT had/has something to hide........:huh:.................😉

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, sathornlover said:

I think you can almost completely rule out the fact that he has the so-called “Elite Visa”. The conditions of this visa do not allow this type of business activity by the Swiss or any type of work

It does not rule out having a financial interest in any business.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

There are no trials in absentia in Thailand for non-political cases.

I'm curious how they'll resolve this matter, between the police wanting him out immediately and immigration wanting to grant her a temporary visa until the trial. However this case has become a political case, a foreigner who badly chases a Thai woman on a beach that all Thais claim as theirs, it is not for nothing that the PM also intervened.

• Confused 1

Perhaps he has a mental problem, he should have an operation to have the <deleted>e removed. Then a good brain washing and a nice big fat check to the doctor whom he kicked.

56 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Yes, maybe he should but I just wonder if this case would appear so bad without the Social Media attention?  My Thai friends tell me its all over all the SS platforms constantly.  People act on the spur of the moment and often regret their actions later.

There are foreigners living all over Thailand that I have no doubt have done far worse than he has.  You are not even supposed to be allowed to enter Thailand if you've committed anything more than a minor crime. That's the law but no checks are ever done or asked for - except for some visa types.  The chances are that much more viscious types, even murderers, are living in the country.

I realise that a guest should act in an especially decent way but in a country where a policemen can escape jail when he killed someone through drunk driving, it seems a little strong to deport someone over a kick.

I suspect you and the police have the same opinion... transparency is bad because if the public knows what goes on then there is less room to 'negotiate' / 'plea down' etc.  

I am sure there are plenty of foreigners here that have gotten away with far worse because the public was not aware of what was going on...

What the public does not know -- won't hurt them... 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

All the elephants are being taken care of at his sanctuary, regardless of ownership.

He has licences for all 15 elephants. 

Don't you think the owners of the leased elephants will retrieve them and take care now that ElephantMan Is leaving.

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

I suspect you and the police have the same opinion... transparency is bad because if the public knows what goes on then there is less room to 'negotiate' / 'plea down' etc.  

I am sure there are plenty of foreigners here that have gotten away with far worse because the public was not aware of what was going on...

What the public does not know -- won't hurt them... 

I have never said that transparency is bad. I just think that the only reason this man is likely to be deported for his crimes is because of the coverage on Social Media.  Coverage which has now brought out the Xenophobes who are seriously amplifying the situation.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I am well aware of that, see my other post which states, "they don't understand that we are all fair game and equally worthless in the eyes of the Thais".

I'm not..............😘

13 hours ago, ezzra said:

This man, being smug and full of himself, forgot where he is and that he's a guest in this country that

doesn't tolerate such, 'I'm better than you' type of behaviour towards the locals,

Yes, but it does it seems, tolerate an 'I'm better than you' type of behaviour from Thai's towards foreigners.

Whereas I like to believe that most Thai's are welcoming to foreigners, I have seen some very bad attitudes against foreigners by Thai's. Some Thai's and I repeat some, think we are stupid and know nothing.  They would rather believe a Thai who is clearly wrong about something than trust a foreigner who is right. Seen that play out many times.

I was once out with some Thai friends when a group arrived that were clearly anti foreigner and made the situation very awkward - potentially confrontational.  Thankfully my Thai friends wouldn't accept that behaviour and told the other group to leave.

In this case the man needs to be dealt with according to the law but only in as much as a Thai would be treated for the same offence.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

Really don’t think he will be deported.

He has shown that is a complete richardhead, but he also has money.

It will cost him to stay in the country, the media fuss will move on and things will go back to normal, just hope he is smart enough to learn from these incidents.

It is really easy for anyone sensible to avoid situations like this.

Maybe it should be a lesson for a lot more expats in Thailand, and that includes a few members on this forum, who suffer from their own superiority complex issues, and show the same characteristics in their postings.

if his money doesn't run out he's golden.

2 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Posting title reads 

Technicalities don't bother me, I'm celebrating. 

You present the worst case of Schadenfreude I have ever witnessed.

But it seems to be an AN epidemic.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1