Foreign man caught on CCTV stealing Thai flag in Phuket

snoop1130

Drunken louts on holiday part 2. People do make the mistake of thinking Thailand is like the Costa del Sol and their antics are merely patronizingly frowned upon.

Two years in prison (unlikely though it is) means they will get beaten up by locals for their insulting behavior. Good luck guys.

Tourism has a cost.

and this type of thing,  is an example of that cost.

Don't hear Thailand complaining about the billions of Baht it earns every year from the tourist industry.

Ignite, ignite, we want more money. :coffee1:

Edited by quake
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, quake said:

Don't hear Thailand complaining about the billions of Baht it earns every year from the tourist industry.

Why would they? No country is going to complain about law abiding tourist in their country, BUT once those tourists start committing crimes, then they cross the line. 

• Love It 1

12 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Borrow the rattan from Singapore... a few strikes with that will surely sober up some of these idiots. 

Maybe the Swiss would like a taste of it too... 

Maybe they should take your advice and up the game as well.

remember that very unfortunate American that went to North Korea.

your a dinosaur,  like the Singapore justice system.

Edited by quake
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bbko said:

Why would they? No country is going to complain about law abiding tourist in their country, BUT once those tourists start committing crimes, then they cross the line. 

People are just making a big deal out of small potato's. yawn.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

13 hours ago, transam said:

What a ridiculous post, so you think assault and now theft by farangs is a campaign by Thai authorities  against us

Where does it say the authorities have taken action? They've been urged to by outraged citizens. Good luck with that. They aren't exactly known for taking action over anything.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Incobart said:

I have a bit a problem with generalisation, there arrive maybe every day 5000 tourists in Phuket, 1  or a a few misbehave something, meaning 4995 are good for the country, and isn't that  on any place, school, factory, concert ... that 1 or 2 do something wrong ?

Yes, and I would bet that one or the other Thai misbehaves abroad too; not that any Thailand-based media would report about such incidents objectively...

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

How does Thailand fly their flag when in distress or are they always in distress? 

asking for a friend.

Not to mention that, oftentimes, I see torn and colour-faded Thai flags. Where is the pride in that?

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, daveAustin said:

If the Thais want millions upon millions of tourists, they'll have to expect crass behaviour like this. Not everyone is a Mary Poppins type.

(Most) Thais will never understand, or respect the way of foreigners. They are not interested in them at all, but only in their $$$$...

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

If the Thais want millions upon millions of tourists, they'll have to expect crass behaviour like this. Not everyone is a Mary Poppins type.

When I invite people into my house I expect that they will be respectful... sorry for you that you don't understand that.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, damian said:

In Australia, some Australians take great pleasure in burning the Australian flag particulalrly on Australia Day. Conversely, New Australians (foreigners who have received citizenship)  wave it proudly and enthusiastically. 

You should have seen me when I came to Thailand for the first time; Waiing everyone and eager to learn the language... That changed when, back in 2002, thanks to big T., people's attitude changed dramatically. 

I've been to Oz thrice, and, it's always magical to touch down there.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

And if the farang tourists are going to commit assault, theft, sell drugs, etc they can expect backlash. Not everyone is in favor of importing criminals to their country.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

(Most) Thais will never understand, or respect the way of foreigners. They are not interested in them at all, but only in their $$$$...

Most Thai's don't know the F,ing meaning of the word Respect.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

It's easy to hate on foreigners because there are more than enough knuckle head foreigners doing dumb stuff to hate. We're not all bad, of course. But if you do bad, you deserve to lose your Thailand privileges. With prejudice. I'm always looking forward to the deportation of any knuckle head foreigners. And Phuket has many worthy of deportation. 

2 hours ago, Ironmike said:

A Farang might of kicked a women, no real evidence, and I do not condone this behaviour, drunken Russian women kills two kids,, two year suspended sentence nothing, Chinese  drive a jeep on the beach and sink it, nothing no charges, another Russian kills Thai girl near Saturdays in Rawai, so far nothing happening,, ladyboys going crazy in Bangkok,, nothing,,Indians causing trouble in Pattaya,, nothing happening and now us good expats are possibly going to have to jump through hoops to keep our visa with background checks?? I've lived here for 20 years and never had trouble, nothing so here's the simple answer,, stop giving out free visas to the trouble makers like the Russians that are here working and driving drunk,, wake up people were not all bad

They choose the incidents that they wish to be ' outraged by ' in this country.

Plenty of this is fuelled by social media and the press.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, quake said:

Most Thai's don't know the F,ing meaning of the word Respect.

Correct,

They are verbally POLITE but they have no manners, if you get my meaning.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, StayinThailand2much said:

It's called a lack of education and awareness as to what is happening in the outside world and how people live there.

Too many are imbeciles who prefer to sit in their villages talking and listening to garbage with no understanding of the world around them.

Many can't find the EU on a map, let alone the UK or even a large country, say, Russia.

They sit and swallow all the nationalistic crap that is poured down their throats from breakfast until sunset.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/a-synopsis-of-thailands-educational-system

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_rankings_of_Thailand

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed….  But it’s either because of these actions, or the increased reporting of these actions that seems have planted the seeds which now feed a what appears to be a developing anti-faring media-bias….

Perhaps deservedly so, but it certainly feels as though the media is running with this bias & publicising any wring step a foreigner makes, when Thai’s committing worse crimes are ignored. 

One flag stolen = netizen outrage.

15 people killed though DUI = nothing. 

Nailed it!

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thai netizens expressed their anger in the comment section.

“Too many cheap foreigners in Thailand.”

“Thieving behaviour. You can actually buy it yourself at any souvenir shop!”

“It’s time to get rid of these kinds of foreigners!”

“Deport him!”

bla ....bla.....bla...  I bet many of these Thai netizens are about as honest and clean as Charles Ponzi...

The guy shouldn't steal the flag '     but geeeeze these Thai's carry on with garbage at times ........

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Hosting the national flag of any nation comes with responsibilities.  It's not a decoration on or for a building, it is the proud symbol of a nation. The flag should be taken down at sunset and raised to top mast at sunrise. It can be at half or lower mast for extraordinary national events like mourning the death of a Minister, etc..

Watch a Police station, military base, or military ship and see the flag timing. It's disrespectful to leave the flag up overnight!

You're absolutely right!!!!! ... If they are really that proud of their flag, then they should take better care of it and, as you say, leave the National Flag hanged overnight is an insult to the flag (with the exception of particular cases in which, however, the Flag, if displayed at night, must be properly illuminated and, in some cases, guarded by armed guards ... but this is not the case of a normal company), so, also the owner of the company should be prosecuted for insult to the Flag!!!

• Confused 1