Immigration officers told to increase screening of foreigners in Thailand

webfact

3 hours ago, Hellfire said:

Was not here during Thaksin time. Is it true that the atmosphere was xenophobic in Thailand at those time?  What were the signs of it?

I was here at that time, and as opposed to what followed him, Thaksin was actually elected by the people. I did not experience any more xenophobia then, than before or especially after.. And I can certainly not recall any officials commenting on 'dirty foreigners', as was the case with the non-elected govt that followed.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Excogitator said:
3 hours ago, Hellfire said:

Was not here during Thaksin time. Is it true that the atmosphere was xenophobic in Thailand at those time?  What were the signs of it?

I was here at that time, and as opposed to what followed him, Thaksin was actually elected by the people. I did not experience any more xenophobia then, than before or especially after.. And I can certainly not recall any officials commenting on 'dirty foreigners', as was the case with the non-elected govt that followed.

There were some policies that were very 'pro Thai' understandably and these were interpreted as 'xenophobic'...  

Thaksin also brought in the Thai Elite program which was remarkably foreigner (rather pro money).

The 'Dirty foreigners' comment is the comment made by Anutin (Dept Prime Minister and health Minister) and is a comment taken out of context... when at a press conference he tried to hand two foreigners a face mask (beginning of covid) and the foreginers just ignored him...  this obviously embarassed him and he had a 'choice response' (saving face) but perhaps belayed an underling impression of xenophobia. 

The reality - is a lot of Thai's in positions of power are not xenophobic at all, but they are to some degree intimidated by freer thinking more worldly wise educated Westerners who can see through their scheming and cheating....    they put of a veneer of defensiveness. 

The reality also is that when you are a national 'leader' (term used loosely) its your job to promote your nation, support your nation and protect the interests of your nation - sometimes this comes with a negative impression for 'immigrants' such as ourselves. 

Moot point somewhat...  because I suspect those such as Anutin in positions of such power are more in it for themselves than they are the greater good of the Nation and Thai's in general.... 

Perhaps thats true of nearly all politicians...  Its an impossible and thankless task they are forced to swim in the cesspool of corruption, collusion and back-stabbing - world wide its not a environment conducive to honest giving people. 

• Confused 2

54 minutes ago, Taboo2 said:

Try living in America before throwing stones.

I will try 

I have only  lived in the US only about 60 years  certainly no long enough to get a feel of the place. 

:cheesy:

• Haha 1

This country is full of criminals hiding in plain sight. We hear about it all the time. So find those people and your problem will be solved. Why hassle law abiding people who just want to live here in peace?

11 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Well it was on the cards.  I'm not particularly worried.  Don't break the law so what's to worry about? 

I'm sure there will be some additional inconveniences come extension of stay time, but that's nothing new. 

Extension more inconvenient than it is already??Oh ,boy. My last extension of visa exemption in Pattaya took 4 hours. When I returned a couple of months later, I stayed only 30 days. Spending my money in other Asean countries instead. I bet I am not the only one.

• Agree 1

The Swiss doctor kicker and the NZ cop strangulator Hamish probably looked like the average tourist at Suvarnabhumi Airport. Screen tourists for aggressive tendencies and short temper ??

Maybe a Rorschach test instead of arrival card?

• Like 1

Well add another crazy person to the list, a Russian women kicked a pregnant (8th month) woman in the groin on Koh Pha Nagan after being asked to remove her shoes before entering an establishment. When asked to leave, she got angry, swore, then decided to kick the woman in the groin, what the heck is going on with foreigners lately?!

All tourists in Thailand are not criminals because this is discrimination but in last incidences we experience clearly racial behaviour against two Thai ladies and unfortunately criminal assault to Royal Thai Police Officer.

If Thai policeman was beating the two New Zealanders what would be the consequencies?

We should not allow to exist people above or "under" the Law if we want to enjoy the values / benefits of our democratic constitution.

In the face of Royal Thai Police officers as a tourist I can see the face of average legal Thai citizen because Police Authories serve and protect civilians.

Edited by Paris333
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, DaLa said:

Although the extra scrutiny could affect me as a retired and hopefully permanent fixture here, I welcome this. I left the UK partly because of the *hit hole it was deteriorating  into; behave in Thailand and you can have a great life.

There is no comparison UK to Thailand.

One is a third world sxxthole and the other is Thailand.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Imagine the average monger arriving in Thailand... 

Psychologist (Immi officer) with a the 'booklet'...   

Opens page...  Whats this ?...

Foreigners answer: A vagina.

Flips page... Whats this ?...

Foreigners answer: A vagina.

Foreigners answer: A vagina

Foreigners answer: A vagina

Immigration officer....   Every answer of yours is 'vagina'.... 

Foreigners answer.... 'stop showing me pictures of vagina's then' !!!!!!! 

Very fanny.

• Like 1

The implication is that the two cases mentioned could have been avoided with extra scrutiny. The truth is that neither of the expats arrested had any outstanding warrants from their home countries. This new initiative by Immigration is just more harassment aimed at the expat community.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Will that include those who have obtained retirement extensions by paying a bribe to immigration police via agents? 

No, they will focus on those who do their own extensions.

• Haha 1

Will that include those who have obtained retirement extensions by paying a bribe to immigration police via agents? 

I resemble that remark...

It was a service fee

• Agree 1

Just now, mokwit said:

I did not believe they could bypass requirements without an agents help, and as such would likely have legitimate extensions. 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I did not believe they could bypass requirements without an agents help, and as such would likely have legitimate extensions. 

You can't tell the difference [apparently].

1 minute ago, mokwit said:

You can't tell the difference [apparently].

Oh I get that the Extension stamp is exactly the same and all that... I may also be persuaded there is a loophole, where a senior IO can sign off on not validating some requirements. Only reservation I have, if say a certain agency becomes foul of the law, and is required to 'open it's books' those in on  the fix, ie complicit, will likely become illegal here. Anyhow, very unlikely.. 

14 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Oh I get that the Extension stamp is exactly the same and all that... I may also be persuaded there is a loophole, where a senior IO can sign off on not validating some requirements. Only reservation I have, if say a certain agency becomes foul of the law, and is required to 'open it's books' those in on  the fix, ie complicit, will likely become illegal here. Anyhow, very unlikely.. 

It happened some years ago here in Phuket where some agent was using a dodgy stamp, I remember meeting a girl at that time who got arrested at Ranong, bye the way the very same agent is still at it, 

Edited by ChipButty

23 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

You can get a lot of 'service fees' for 800,000 baht!

I prefer to have just enough thanks... No need to be greedy. 

Although it could be argued that by paying these 'fees' it puts pressure on the normal channel of application. 

We are seeing it more day by day. Requirements for visa or extensions getting more ridiculous and bureaucracy stretches out the door. 

Most customers/tourists/retirees put up with this but others (like myself) simply have had enough of being mucked about.  Ive got better things to do than jumping through ever increasing hoops. 

Maybe this could all change for the better? But TIT so I'm not holding my breath. 

Wash your mouth out for suggesting such things happen, don't you know where you are.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

We are seeing it more day by day. Requirements for visa or extensions getting more ridiculous and bureaucracy stretches out the door. 

Agreed... my last renewal was a trial and an agent helped me! There were requirements that  I had never come across before, and I had certainly  not seen dictated by any written police orders. Recent good news, a friend went and did it himself without any issues... not even too much waiting in Jomtien, I was back and forth between my bank and the agents!

43 minutes ago, mokwit said:

It's worth remembering that it is IMMIGRATION which makes the agent/bribery situation possible. If none of the officials took bribes, there would be no way to pay them.Expats are merely the customers, Immigration calls the shots.

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, thecyclist said:

The Swiss doctor kicker and the NZ cop strangulator Hamish probably looked like the average tourist at Suvarnabhumi Airport. Screen tourists for aggressive tendencies and short temper ??

Maybe a Rorschach test instead of arrival card?

Maybe cut the rubbish get rid of “visa exempt” and require criminal record checks  to get visas at consulates ? 

• Agree 1

I don't suppose signing treaties to link the criminal databases of countries is on the cards. For an immigration officer to have access to incoming tourists' criminality after a swipe of the passport could be useful. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Purdey said:

I don't suppose signing treaties to link the criminal databases of countries is on the cards. For an immigration officer to have access to incoming tourists' criminality after a swipe of the passport could be useful. 

No, but a multi part visa extension program might be. Applicants will sit a three hour exam on Thai culture, history and traditions, an extensive Thai language test, a forensic review of their finances by trained accountants and finally an interview before an investigative panel. All of this will be conducted at the airport to facilitate immediate removal for those who fail so best pack a bag. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Purdey said:

You’d be off your rocker to trust the Thais with that sort of information, not to mention it is a breach of privacy and illegal at home. 

• Agree 2

On 3/19/2024 at 5:42 AM, webfact said:

...Khaosod English reports that police have been issued new instructions to strictly enforce immigration laws...

Isn't one purpose of every law that it should be enforced?