Thailand’s car industry hits the brakes: Production plunges 20%

snoop1130

No surprise if the majority of local production is Japanese companies with their old fashioned cars. Should have started earlier with EV production, not wait till the Chinese are here with their shiny modern cars.

But anyhow the Chinese are already investing in EV production in Thailand, so the numbers will soon look better. If the Japanese don't get going, well, their loss...

• Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

I work for a tier 1 company that supplies all the big automakers and all ramped up orders 4th quarter last year and have not eased.

What slump ?

supplies with what?

47 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

I work for a tier 1 company that supplies all the big automakers and all ramped up orders 4th quarter last year and have not eased.

What slump ?

The article compares year-on-year numbers, so they look at only 1 month: February this year vs February 2023.

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

1.9 million vehicles this year compared to 1.84 million in 2023. That's a 2.2% decline?

The 2.2% decline was for 2023, so I guess 2023 compared to 2022.

Projection for 2024 is higher and predicts an increase in production, yes.

20 minutes ago, al valio said:

The article compares year-on-year numbers, so they look at only 1 month: February this year vs February 2023.

Ahh ok yeah.... start of 22 sales were through the roof.

32 minutes ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

Japanese companies specialy toyota are not interested in the EV crap,EV is a dead horse

Garbage, Toyotal was one the first into the EV business, the initials can be distorted to suit any agenda.

Couple of years ago I went on one of the new EVs up the river in Bangkok, you will be telling us next that they are dead in the water.

44 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Garbage, Toyotal was one the first into the EV business, the initials can be distorted to suit any agenda.

Couple of years ago I went on one of the new EVs up the river in Bangkok, you will be telling us next that they are dead in the water.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterlyon/2024/03/03/bucking-industry-trend-toyota-chairman-downplays-ev-growth-predictions/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

That's a big hit...

Japanese models even Hybrids are being shunned due to the inexpensive Chinese EV's....

I'm sure Srettha didn't think this one through properly when he pushed for higher EV sales.

I wonder what the likes of Toyota, Mazda, Isuzu and others are thinking?

Honda are dealing with their e:Ny1 as if it was a giant hot potato. They produce it in Thailand and can't find a price tag below 1.5M. They are looking at all sorts of finance schemes to dump it on the market.

Affordable EVs might end up as the greatest Chinese contribution to mankind.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

That's a big hit...

Japanese models even Hybrids are being shunned due to the inexpensive Chinese EV's....

I'm sure Srettha didn't think this one through properly when he pushed for higher EV sales.

First, let me provide a summary of the third quarter of the fiscal year ending March 2024. Cumulative operating income for the nine months was 4.24 trillion yen, an increase of 2.14 trillion yen from the same period of the previous fiscal year. The full-year forecast is 4.90 trillion yen

https://global.toyota/pages/global_toyota/ir/financial-results/2024_3q_presentation_2_en.pdf

Someone is buying Toyota's  big time hence increase sales

18 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

Honda are dealing with their e:Ny1 as if it was a giant hot potato. They produce it in Thailand and can't find a price tag below 1.5M. They are looking at all sorts of finance schemes to dump it on the market.

Affordable EVs might end up as the greatest Chinese contribution to mankind.

At the moment the average interest rate on new cars is 10% per year as dealers tend to advise customers to take out a 7 or 8 year finance agreement lower monthly payments for customer higher commission fees from Finance lenders to dealers

At the moment 50% of all car loan applications are rejected

F.T.I. reveals 50% loan rejection for car purchases

https://www.bangkokbiznews.com/business/economic/1114429

Government has stated average household debt very  high at 90.9% of GDP are are looking at measures to reduce average household debt to below 80% of GDP

300,000 additional  cars were repossessed in 2023 over and above the normal repossessed rate of 150,000-180,000 and its forecast that between 250,000-300,000 cars over and above the normal repossessed rate will be repossessed in 2024

https://theactive.net/news/economy-20230229/

might be a number of years away before you see Affordable cars on the road

5 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Who cares. They are making old fashioned vehicles that are way inferior to the Chinese ones and nobody wants them anymore  Consumer wins.  

Would you prefer the consumer be forced to buy old fashioned legacy car makers' rubbish instead?

Again, who cares?

I was more concerned if the production levels in Thailand fall to a certain limit they will pull-out of Thailand for production...

leaving thousands unemployed.

5 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

What slump ?

You are retired.............:coffee1:

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, hotchilli said:

That's a big hit...

Toyota has announced they will put on sale in Thailand an EV version of the Hilux by end of 2025. They plan to put six pre-production models on trial in Pattaya by end of 2024. (Shudder)

6 hours ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

You will have to show me where this statement appears in the article.

"toyota are not interested in the EV crap,EV is a dead horse"

Seems to me you have trouble differentiating between hybrid electric vehicle and total electric vehicle, even electric vessels appear to be outside your comprehension.

Edited by sandyf