Chon Buri bridge marred by graffiti, locals demand action

webfact

image.jpeg

Graffiti vandalism on the Chon Buri bridge has sparked outrage among locals, leading to calls for swift action by authorities.

Social media was abuzz with criticism after images of spray-painted railings on the bridge surfaced online. The Chon Buri bridge, a landmark of the city, was defaced with large, blue spray-painted words, including crude language that has not only marred the bridge’s appearance but also offended passersby.

Boontham Rungcharoen Wiwat, a 62 year old resident who exercises on the bridge, expressed his dismay at the sight of the graffiti, which had not been there on previous days. He emphasised that the bridge is public property and the responsibility of the whole community, serving as the face of Chon Buri. The defacement makes the bridge look dirty and damaged, and the foul language is particularly upsetting.

Boontham urged the young perpetrators to stop such acts of vandalism on public structures and appealed to the authorities to find and punish the individuals responsible as quickly as possible. He also suggested that the vandals should be the ones to clean up their mess so they could feel the weight of their actions.

The incident has highlighted the issue of vandalism in public spaces and the need for greater awareness and respect for community property. The bridge, also known as the Chaloem Phrakiat or the new bridge, runs along the coastline and is a popular spot for locals and tourists alike. Its defacement has not only caused visual pollution but also raised concerns about the cultural values being upheld by the younger generation, reported KhaoSod.

The authorities have been asked to investigate the incident and take appropriate measures to prevent such occurrences in the future.

In related news, two Russian men on a graffiti rampage after a booze-fuelled escapade in Patong, Phuket, have been arrested. Police Major General Saranyu Chamnarnrat, Deputy Chief of the Provincial Police Region 8, revealed the arrest of the Russian vandals on Tuesday.

by Nattapong Westwood

Photo courtesy of KhaoSod

Source: The Thaiger 2024-03-30

- Discover how Cigna Insurance can protect you with a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment. For more information on expat health insurance click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

SIAMSNUS

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Graffiti vandalism on the Chon Buri bridge has sparked outrage among locals, leading to calls for swift action by authorities.

I doubt that's a foreigners actions...

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

I bet if they put up cameras, all this will stop.....

Thankfully this isn't London ...

... someone just buy a can of paint and a roller ... :coffee1:

And .... "in related news" ... never miss an opportunity to highlight bad foreigners

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Thankfully this isn't London ...

... someone just buy a can of paint and a roller ... :coffee1:

And .... "in related news" ... never miss an opportunity to highlight bad foreigners

It's a pretty big job, the whole bridge will need to be done. The perps. would be the ones to do the job... if anything like other Thai workers it will take years!

31 minutes ago, JoePai said:

Dear Sir

I am also 'outraged' (anyone care to translate the Thai?)

Yours

Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells

It's Royal Tunbridge wells thank you.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, smedly said:

ffs, hardly a big deal

we read about shootings - bus crashes - rape - sexual abuse of kids and all they can complain about is this nonsense - this country is ###

Totally disagree.  Once you give up on maintaining public spaces you might as well throw in the towel.  Take a gander at France--which has let graffiti go completely unchecked.  So many public spaces you see destroyed by ugly graffiti--sometimes graffiti on top of other graffiti.  Horrible.  Bridges, retaining walls, overpasses, buildings, doors, signs--any surface, public or private, is fair game there.  

I was so looking forward to seeing Paris but even it had ugly graffiti everywhere--even in the richest, supposedly best parts of the city.   Touring the city, I would be admiring a fine, old building and look up to see, yes, graffiti on, not just the front doors and first floor walls but also up at the top--someone managed to climb up and spray graffiti even there.   Italy was just as bad.  Sad both countries care so little and have just given up--what does that say about them?

Contrast that with Japan, which my spouse and I visited late last year.  The entire trip, we did not see even one instance of graffiti.  Not one, anywhere.  I'm not saying graffiti doesn't exist in Japan but we did not see any so it must be under control--at least where we were in the Osaka-Kyoto areas.   It was great to look around and admire everything and not have to try to see it through layers of ugly graffiti. 

So far, Thailand has been pretty good with keeping graffiti from getting out of control and I admire the local citizens for standing up and demanding action when graffiti appears--as they did in this case.  Bravo to them.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, newnative said:

Totally disagree.  Once you give up on maintaining public spaces you might as well throw in the towel.  Take a gander at France--which has let graffiti go completely unchecked.  So many public spaces you see destroyed by ugly graffiti--sometimes graffiti on top of other graffiti.  Horrible.  Bridges, retaining walls, overpasses, buildings, doors, signs--any surface, public or private, is fair game there.  

I was so looking forward to seeing Paris but even it had ugly graffiti everywhere--even in the richest, supposedly best parts of the city.   Touring the city, I would be admiring a fine, old building and look up to see, yes, graffiti on, not just the front doors and first floor walls but also up at the top--someone managed to climb up and spray graffiti even there.   Italy was just as bad.  Sad both countries care so little and have just given up--what does that say about them?

Contrast that with Japan, which my spouse and I visited late last year.  The entire trip, we did not see even one instance of graffiti.  Not one, anywhere.  I'm not saying graffiti doesn't exist in Japan but we did not see any so it must be under control--at least where we were in the Osaka-Kyoto areas.   It was great to look around and admire everything and not have to try to see it through layers of ugly graffiti. 

So far, Thailand has been pretty good with keeping graffiti from getting out of control and I admire the local citizens for standing up and demanding action when graffiti appears--as they did in this case.  Bravo to them.

I agree I don't live in France I live in OZ and graffiti got out of hand everywhere you look on train's busses buildings you will see graffiti. It cost billions of dollars to remove them.

• Thanks 1

On 3/30/2024 at 2:32 AM, flyingtlger said:

I bet if they put up cameras, all this will stop.....

I know you're being ironic but my point is you need to get someone to glance at the footage occasionally.