new passport because the current one has too many stamps

I am asking for a friend of mine! Does it worth to make a new passport if the current one has too many stamps but it still has many free pages? My friend would like to come back to thailand but he is afraid that immigration officer could deny him to enter because of too many stamps on his passport. By the way he is abroad right now and it's already 6 months that is out of thailand

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, treetops said:

Thai immigration will see his history on their screen regardless of whether he has a new passport or not, but being out of the country for 6 months means there's little chance of refusal.

great thanks

the last time he had a normal 30 days exempt with some border runs was years ago, after he married but he got divorced but now he would like to come back as a tourist after he left thailand since 6 months 

12 hours ago, Jack1988 said:

the last time he had a normal 30 days exempt with some border runs was years ago, after he married but he got divorced but now he would like to come back as a tourist after he left thailand since 6 months 

Probably best for him to obtain a tourist visa if he's planning to stay in Thailand for more than 30 days IMHO.

12 hours ago, Jack1988 said:

......now he would like to come back as a tourist after he left thailand since 6 months 

He will not have any issue entering Thailand visa exempt after 6 months out.

BTW: a new pp would change nothing. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, treetops said:

Thai immigration will see his history on their screen regardless of whether he has a new passport or not

Just out of curiosity I wonder if that is true? Since a new passport has a new PP number..  not that it matters was just wondering. I guess these days the biometrics page has all the info regardless of PP number

Edited by mania
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, mania said:

Just out of curiosity I wonder if that is true? Since a new passport has a new PP number..  not that it matters was just wondering

That guy is " still that same old guy he ever ever was"!! 

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Jack1988 said:

I am asking for a friend of mine! Does it worth to make a new passport if the current one has too many stamps but it still has many free pages? My friend would like to come back to thailand but he is afraid that immigration officer could deny him to enter because of too many stamps on his passport. By the way he is abroad right now and it's already 6 months that is out of thailand

Stamps are not what matters, the number of remaining pages are all that matters. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, mania said:

Just out of curiosity I wonder if that is true? Since a new passport has a new PP number..  not that it matters was just wondering. I guess these days the biometrics page has all the info regardless of PP number

A new passport might have the same old number, depending on when it was issued. My last 3 all had the same number, but this year the passport design changed and so did my number. Subsequently I presume I will keep the same number with each replacement, should I live so long. 

Edited by Jonathan Swift
  • Confused 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jonathan Swift said:

Stamps are not what matters, the number of remaining pages are all that matters. 

I came back into Thailand with just a fraction of a page left,  Malaysia had gone and put a sticker right in the middle of the last page. Didn't bother the Thai IO just put the entry stamp in the last little bit.

Bit of a problem though at immigration, not enough room for an under consideration stamp without impinging on another stamp. The boss however decided a little impingement was ok.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jack1988 said:

So what's the problem? 

9 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

He will not have any issue entering Thailand visa exempt after 6 months out.

BTW: a new pp would change nothing. 

great, thanks!

My country does not issue you a new passport if you have too many Thai stamps

Only if you have no more pages left. Or it will expire within 9 months

Or if it was lost or mutilated. You can also apply for a second valid passport

Your name DOB, fingerprints and face don't change. All your previous entries can be linked

On 4/17/2024 at 2:35 PM, Jack1988 said:

Mine has 52 pages, 35 of which are nothing but Thai stamps, 10 of which are other countries and full page visas (hope I can make it last until renewal date rather than early)... I think your "friend" will be fine.

Edited by Aviatorhi

On 4/17/2024 at 9:35 PM, Jack1988 said:

could deny him to enter because of too many stamps on his passport

Nope, they will find a space for their stamp. 

Just replace it if it gets choco block. 

As an Aussie I'd go through a 64 page passport (they don't issue any more) less than 10 years. 

As long as it's got 6 month validity, it's OK. 

Posted (edited)

Thank you for the information. Can someone tell me what's the process to apply for a METV online? How many papers to provide for the e-visa website? My friend is thinking to apply for a multiple tourist visa to stay longer in Thailand. He comes from England 

Edited by Jack1988

On 4/18/2024 at 11:03 AM, mania said:

That doesn't apply for all the embassies and consulates where people apply for visa's, they seem to take empty passports all the time, they only check the psychical stamps. Also I doubt immigration by default 'sees everything' unless they actually dig into their computer information. By default they first check the passport itself + recent histories in the monitor screen of their system only. So a new one could also help with that; as the officer just stamps it and moves on, as of seeing not dozens of full pages.

Know a lot of people who were refused for a new tourist visa due to the full passport, and accepted with the new ones, so yes, a passport renewal, depending on your usual history and visa activities, can certainly be useful. And yes, it does not delete all history from the systems itself.

(deleted)

Edited by CharlieH
Flame/troll comment removed
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

A new passport might have the same old number, depending on when it was issued. My last 3 all had the same number, but this year the passport design changed and so did my number. Subsequently I presume I will keep the same number with each replacement, should I live so long. 

what country?
US passports are ALL new numbers when new passport issued
regardless they can see ur travel history

On 4/18/2024 at 11:03 AM, mania said:

Yes, it is true.

4 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

That doesn't apply for all the embassies and consulates where people apply for visa's, they seem to take empty passports all the time, they only check the psychical stamps. Also I doubt immigration by default 'sees everything' unless they actually dig into their computer information.

They don't have to dig, they just scan the ocr code from the passport and get everything.

On 4/17/2024 at 9:42 PM, treetops said:

Thai immigration will see his history on their screen regardless of whether he has a new passport or not, but being out of the country for 6 months means there's little chance of refusal.

That's why they flip through passport pages

2 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:
On 4/17/2024 at 9:42 PM, treetops said:

That's why they flip through passport pages

They flip through the passport pages looking for a Visa or anything relevant to entry.

ALL entry / exit & Visa history is on Immigrations Online Database (since 2012).

A new passport number will not change anything - biometrics (Name / DOB / Nationality / Photo) will be tied previous passports, even with dual nationality. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

Sounds like a plan..

If a US passport is to be  “thrown in the wash by me mum” Be sure to scan all the pages for your future reference. It will be confiscated by the US State department. 

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

They flip through the passport pages looking for a Visa or anything relevant to entry.

ALL entry / exit & Visa history is on Immigrations Online Database (since 2012).

A new passport number will not change anything - biometrics (Name / DOB / Nationality / Photo) will be tied previous passports, even with dual nationality. 

From what I can tell, by default they don't see all the database history unless they have reasons to request that information.