Frozen pension policy turns British expat's dream into a nightmare

snoop1130

6 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Leaving unions affects finances in a big way. 

Of Scotland leaves UK, the English will lose lots in oil revenue, and Scots will get better pensions, for example. 

Offer links....

The ruling was made years before Brexit was even discussed.

And Scottish pensions will get better 🤣🤣. Offer evidence.

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, Wobblybob said:

Sorry Joe, but that is hearsay, a link to a credible source is what's needed. 

What do you think is the consequence of defrauding the Bitish Government going to be ?Send you some roses perhaps?

I have read that the consequences are that retirement payments will cease. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, delh said:

The fact that people have contributed to their pensions entitles them to the same benefits as everyone else.

British pensioners living across Europe have increased, whats the difference on location?

You can't have your cake and eat it. 

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

If HMRC could stop all expat state pension payouts they would, As for the frozen annual increases the excuse would be it wouldn’t be spent in the UK and going back into it’s own economy is my take on this farce.

In the meantime the monies are needed for the Romanian, Bulgarian thief’s and all the other dingy crossing spongers.

• Agree 1

State pension I'll get at 67.

Chances are I live to 75, how many increases will I miss? 

Are there yearly increases? 

Surely only those living to 90 will see a difference. 

9 minutes ago, delh said:

How, exactly didn't Brexit help British  government policy on pensions?

And how, exactly has Covid influenced British government rulings on pension increases for non EU overseas pension payments?

Brexit did not help the British Government  policy on Pensions , but the value of pensions dropped , just like Covid

with price rises affected the overseas pensioners   ,both badly affected expat pensioners, the British

Government has done nothing and most likely will do nothing to help expat pensioners in the future .

regards Worgeordie

Just now, itsari said:

What do you think is the consequence of defrauding the Bitish Government going to be ?Send you some roses perhaps?

I have read that the consequences are that retirement payments will cease. 

I have asked for a link and not sarcasm, if that's all you've got why bother. These threads are fine but ultimately they always end up with misinformation being banded about and it's not helpful.

4 minutes ago, delh said:

The fact that people have contributed to their pensions entitles them to the same benefits as everyone else.

British pensioners living across Europe have increased, whats the difference on location?

Irrelevant, the policy is 'the policy', simply accept it.

Do you think Yanks like that they, most,  can't use their Medicare overseas, even though they, some, are still paying into it.  Useless in an emergency, and even if elective surgery, then if not continuing paying into it, huge penalty for restarted Plan B/drug part of plan.

Rules are the rules, you know them before you decide to live overseas.   Do people really think they'd change after they left, or that inflation wouldn't exist or exchange rates not fluctuate.

You live with your choices ... don't cry about them :coffee1:

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Meanwhile, 55-year-old Linz Gelthorpe and his 61-year-old wife, Julie, find their dream relocation to Thailand tarnished by unforeseen financial challenges

Retired at 55, moved to a foreign country without adequate financial planning. Blaming the govt, wonder if that is right.

As with taxes govt like to meddle with the benefit (pension) age.

Edited by freeworld
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, mrwebb8825 said:

interesting:

Most British Commonwealth countries are included in the frozen list;[8] these include countries, such as Australia, Canada, South Africa, New Zealand, Thailand and India, as well as British overseas territories such as the Falkland Islands.[9]

Wonder if Thailand knows the Brits claim it.

from here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frozen_state_pension

The "freeze" is not pro-actively operated as such.   Uprating only exists for expats in countries which have a reciprocal Social Security agreement with the U.K.  Expats emigrating to countries that don't have such reciprocal arrangements would know that before making their decision to emigrate (it's been like this for over 70 years).  So why all the hew and cry now?

18 minutes ago, delh said:

Difference? Europe with binding laws for EU members (still some valid for UK pensioners) and Asia

13 hours ago, worgeordie said:

it's called  inflation , Brexit did not help , Then Covid  , ,I don't think anyone thought  things

would turn out like this , I am still on 90 quid a week ,good job I don't need it as provided

for myself before retiring at 42 , But I can feel for those relying here on pension only, no

way will we get any relief from the British Government ,too busy looking after immigrants.

regards Worgeordie

That's an unsupportable accusation.  The "freeze" is not pro-actively operated as such.   Uprating only exists for expats in countries which have a reciprocal Social Security agreement with the U.K.  Expats emigrating to countries that don't have such reciprocal arrangements would know that before making their decision to emigrate (it's been like this for over 70 years).  So why all the hew and cry now?  Inflation was much much worse in the 80s anyway and things rolled on just the same.

2 minutes ago, PeeJayEm said:

The "freeze" is not pro-actively operated as such.   Uprating only exists for expats in countries which have a reciprocal Social Security agreement with the U.K.  Expats emigrating to countries that don't have such reciprocal arrangements would know that before making their decision to emigrate (it's been like this for over 70 years).  So why all the hew and cry now?

Because now people have easy access social media to complain on.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Wobblybob said:

I have asked for a link and not sarcasm, if that's all you've got why bother. These threads are fine but ultimately they always end up with misinformation being banded about and it's not helpful.

IMG_20240427_082700.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I know what it says, how it is written and what that means, it does not state that Thailand is a Commonwealth country as I suspect you are suggesting.

"Most British Commonwealth countries are included in the frozen list;    these include countries, such as Australia, Canada, South Africa, New Zealand, Thailand and India..."

Er, a sentence constructed in that manner unequivocally states that Thailand is a Commonwealth country.

It's included in a list consisting solely of other Commonwealth countries, preceded by the statements "Most Commonwealth countries are included ... these include ... such as ..."

In this example, a tangerine is clearly categorised as a vegetable.

"Most vegetables are included in the frozen list;  these include vegetables such as aubergine, carrots, swedes, new potatoes, Tangerines ..."

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, orchis said:
14 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

What year did the frozen pension policy come into effect ?

I think 2000.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frozen_state_pension

Two people who clearly didn't bother to read the whole article before asking questions.

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), despite mounting criticism, stands by this policy, asserting that it has been in place for over 70 years. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Bqrgirls and massage workers make more then these lousy pensions. Probably the worst pension system in the advanced west. What an embarrassment and a joke.

British state pension is currently 12,000 pounds a year. I'm happy enough with that.

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, MicroB said:

William Hague pointed out that todays NI contributions pays for today's pensioner, not your future pension. So arguments about paying into a system for future entitlement falls fat on its face.

That is a distorted perspective. The UK state pension is a "pay as you go" scheme where the workers of today make contributions to pay the pensioners of today. When you become a pensioner that still applies.

Government revenue from workers contributions is by default index linked so all pension entitlement arising from workers contributions should be indexed linked, selective index linking is pure discrimination.

Brexit brought the legal requirement to pay uprated pensions in the EU to an end. The government didn't like the thought of the backlash from so many close to home so they manipulated the legislation to suit.

In 2019 Therese Coffey made this statement, which was then withdrawn. Fairly obvious she thought pensioners elsewhere didn't need peace of mind.

"The government is sending out letters outlining that even if we leave without a deal, pensions for those in the
EU will be uprated for a further 3 years –an increase of at least 2.5% annually for the duration of this Parliament,worth up to £200 a year per person.
And pensioners will be told they do not need to do anything to continue receiving their State Pension.
During the 3-year period, the UK government plans to negotiate a new arrangement with the EU
to ensure that uprating continues.
Work and Pensions Secretary Dr Thérèse Coffey said:
Pensioners in Europe who have paid into the system for years deserve peace of mind over their future finances.
Not only are we providing much-needed reassurance for hundreds of thousands of retirees, we’re ensuring we are fully prepared for leaving the EU on 31 October.
No matter the circumstances of Brexit, we’ve made sure that pensionersdo not need to take any action to continue receiving their hard-earnedState Pension.”
A new dedicated call centre team based in Newcastle has also beenestablished in order to answer any questions from those affected.
The uprating will also affect those living in the EEA states and Switzerland.
The letters will be sent next week."

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Can't give you anymore money because illigal immigrants are very expensive for the budget. You may be a British national but you are overseas and as such a lesser person to those who aren't Brits who have got a leaky boat to the Isles. It's a very, very sad world.

This is simply racist.  The policy of only uprating U.K. state pensions in countries with which the U.K. has a reciprocal social security agreement has been in place for 70 years unaffected by the recent increase in immigrants, illegal or otherwise.

Edited by PeeJayEm
  • Love It 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, nickmondo said:

its well over 24 years.  its been like this about 70 years, always been like this.  the wingers should have known about this.

They did, but if one is working in the UK or for a UK company, payment of NHI is obligatory... the state pension comes from these payments not from general taxation. (So they like to tell us). The wingers had no say in the matter other than perhaps choosing to retire in the UK... (yeuch), or a country where the pension is not frozen, (Philippines... double yeuch!)

• Confused 1

As a German, I receive my pension in my Thai bank account, usually 3-4 days earlier than pensioners in Germany. In July 2024, like every other pension recipient, I will receive a pension increase of 4.57%. If I die, my Thai wife can receive a widow's pension from the German state equal to 40% of my pension. Requirement: the widow must be at least 46 years old and the marriage must have lasted, I believe, for 6 years.

There are no restrictions on pension receipt for Germans who live abroad permanently.

15 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Bqrgirls and massage workers make more then these lousy pensions. Probably the worst pension system in the advanced west. What an embarrassment and a joke.

To be fair, bar girls and massage workers have to work very long hours and sometimes have to do unpleasant things to make money!  I would expect them to make more than a Brit on a State pension!

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Oh dear, if you hang around prostitutes, you'll know a soapy massage  costs around £50.

How much would you pay in the UK?