Why is the Thai Countryside full of discarded rubbish?

stix40

31 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I've travelled to (worked in) a lot of ropey area... (some of them... proper Sh... holes)...   

One thing that always strikes me is the amount of rubbish & litter.

We could be placed in any location and just by the amount of rubbish around we can tell the level of development of the Nation. 

... of course, that's an assumed generalisation and I'm sure there are very poor nations which don't have a littler issue, but in general I see this patter.

In Thailand - the issue is simply education....  Thai's are incredibly nationalistic on a personal level, yet seem to have complete disregard for their nation on a public level - perhaps thats true of many nations... 

The UK had a massive litter issue until they went full stream ahead with anti-litter campaigns in the 70's and 80's...  perhaps its time for more campaigns again, as some area's of the UK are atrocious now, where as other area's considered more affluent don't... 

...  perhaps the issue is simply down to the general socio-economics and education of those in the area. 

The Thai solution will be more litter police and more 2,000 fines for dropping a paperclip on Sukhumvit. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, stix40 said:

Any idea why ?

Thai people believe it to be an OK thing to do and don't see anything negative in doing it.  Asia in general isn't really a place for preserving nature and such.  Just put concrete over it then you don't have to maintain it is often the attitude.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Countryside isn't full of rubbish, where i cycle i see a few fly tipping areas, there lies the problem, authorities aren't up to speed with stopping fly tipping 

Well on my morning walks, there is lots of litter on the roadside mainly drink containers and food containers, it slowly peters out at about 6 klms from town, and there are a few areas where some individuals weekly dump their household rubbish.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, BillyBloggs said:

Well on my morning walks, there is lots of litter on the roadside mainly drink containers and food containers, it slowly peters out at about 6 klms from town, and there are a few areas where some individuals weekly dump their household rubbish.

Generally in Pattaya the road sweepers do a good job, i see them out 6am. In my soi a couple of ladies come who sweep for a hobby it seems

well lately, we see "suspiscious" fires at warehouses storing e-waste.  from news articles, there is so much e-waste because in 2017 Thailand signed with China who outlawed the e-waste storage so that it would come down to Thailand.  Now that there was the fire in Ayuttaya, the govt hinted at greater investigation of said facilities to ensure proper handling of the waste  Then we had the Cadmium fiasco, which then has been followed by many more fires.  I believe many will just say oh that is because of the really hot weather, but in my opinion, it has to do with the waste materials burning and the fact that the government appears ready to investigate the waste storage conditions and its effect on the public.  Once an investigation occurs, then depending on who pays for solving the problems, it will either go away quietly or nothing will happen at all until the next govt tries to fix things.  That is my opinion.  It is not an easy solve that is for sure but I hope the govt can begin solving it as it seems to be getting much worse.

• Like 1

Here in Pattaya,  they have spent all the funds where it matters visually all place Beach Road. There are so many to impress tourist they take up all the parking spaces.

Go to the Darkside far and in between.  

As noted it is education and follow up which is ZERO.  Also noted go to a mall try finding one.

My wife restaurant each table has a small bin rarely they use tissue 9-10 times on the floor.

No surprise any empty lot on isolated Soi, the land if not fence off is a dump.

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I've travelled to (worked in) a lot of ropey area... (some of them... proper Sh... holes)...   

One thing that always strikes me is the amount of rubbish & litter.

We could be placed in any location and just by the amount of rubbish around we can tell the level of development of the Nation. 

... of course, that's an assumed generalisation and I'm sure there are very poor nations which don't have a littler issue, but in general I see this patter.

In Thailand - the issue is simply education....  Thai's are incredibly nationalistic on a personal level, yet seem to have complete disregard for their nation on a public level - perhaps thats true of many nations... 

The UK had a massive litter issue until they went full stream ahead with anti-litter campaigns in the 70's and 80's...  perhaps its time for more campaigns again, as some area's of the UK are atrocious now, where as other area's considered more affluent don't... 

...  perhaps the issue is simply down to the general socio-economics and education of those in the area. 

Just a few comments, particularly as it relates to 'education'.

As I observed 'education' and 'civilized society', I came to the conclusion that being civilized is a prerequisite to education.

I remember thinking about the Vikings, and thinking about 'educating' these people. Nah, no way, must get civilized before.

"What is civilization in simple words?

A civilization is generally defined as an advanced state of human society containing highly developed forms of government, culture, industry, and common social norms. Of course, not all scholars agree with this definition. In fact, there is much debate over what constitutes a civilization and what does not."

And as it relates to Thailand: "highly developed forms of government", coup after coup after coup. Then "culture and common social norms", as they intertwine. Common social norms, application of laws of the land, hummm. Courtesy on the roads, hummm. Fairness in the application of the laws, hummm. The freedom of one stops where the freedom of the other starts, hummm.

This country is simply not civilized, even though the highly educated people certainly are....

And regarding socio-economics, I remember as a child, living in poor areas, farmers, blue-collar workers.

Civilization was there, we could not see thrash everywhere. The culture was there. We put thrash together, and leave them for collection, governed by an already developed form of government.

In Thailand, just large bags of thrash, with small garbage items thrown close by on the ground. And poor people driving by collecting plastic and recyclables, having to sort them out of the thrash bags. I still look at them thinking that people, all of them, do not care a bit about the people collecting the recyclables. Not a bit, the level of selfishness is right there for everyone to see. I am definitely the only one who separates recyclables from thrash. And I see people coming out of the 7-11 with their goods, and throwing on the ground their purchase bill, right next to the supplied garbage bins.

India and the Philippines have the same level of civilization, based on pics available...

India garbage.jpg

Manila garbage.jpg

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, stix40 said:

Any idea why ?

The countryside here is turning into one big tip !

Plastic and discarded rubbish everywhere 

Are people here not interested in their precious country? 

Answers on a postcard 

Because they can't discard their waste within the city they do it in the countryside. 😂

I just had to get rid of some termite infested furniture and had to pay 1000 baht for a truck to take it away. Don’t know what he did with it.

i haven’t been able to find any local authority tip in Bangkok open to the public to properly dispose of rubbish.

• Thumbs Up 1