Latest developments and discussion of recent events in the Ukraine War

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Who said it's going well for Russia?

He's got what he wants, so he now wants to stop the attacks from Ukraine.

Only the believers in western propaganda think he wants all of Ukraine, IMO.

yes he's a very peaceful and reasonable man. Uh huh.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

You read elsewhere...............😂

Yes. A very technical article with big words like gross domestic product and purchasing power parity. Way beyond your comprehension level. Might cause that empty space you have on top to fill up and explode …….:cheesy:

• Confused 2
  • Love It 2

6 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Yes. A very technical article with big words like gross domestic product and purchasing power parity. Way beyond your comprehension level. Might cause that empty space you have on top to fill up and explode …….:cheesy:

Oh wow, but don't over do it, your Red chums might be watching over you.....:whistling:

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, stevenl said:

So first you state Russia can not realistically gain anything, then you state Ukraine will lose if they continue fighting.

Looks like you're lost in your own thoughts, not yet fully accepting a dawning realty.

You apparently don't get it.

a/ neither is going to "win". Russia winning would be all of Ukraine- not going to happen.

Ukraine winning would be Zelensky marching into the Kremlin- not going to happen.

b/ Russia can hold onto what it wants, which is what it has, while Ukraine is destroyed and thousands more dead Ukrainians.

not yet fully accepting a dawning realty.

and what reality would that be? 10 F16s perhaps, LOL. More Leopards perhaps, LOL.

Out of men and sending the press gang out on the streets is an act of desperation.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/13/2024 at 7:48 AM, johng said:

Full on support for the Nazi brigade,

we went from there are no Nazi's to well maybe some  and now full on support for them astounding !!

US runs a one in one out policy - these guys will be in clover if Russia attacks Norway. There are bad Nazis and our Nazis  - just ask concentration camp slave master Werner von Braun - after he died NASA re-nazified him again.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/article/2024/jun/14/us-nmr-terrorist-neo-nazi-group

https://www.nasa.gov/people/wernher-von-braun/

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Oops Germany still wants cheap Russian gas - gas before guns as Goebbels might have said.

European Union countries failed to approve a new sanctions package targeting the Russian gas industry after German authorities intervened to block the deal at the last minute.

The measures would have banned EU member states from re-exporting Russian liquified natural gas (LNG) from EU ports and financing planned Arctic and Baltic LNG terminals. German officials reportedly expressed concern about an expanded measure that would force EU companies to guarantee their customers cannot go on to sell sanctioned goods to Russia.

https://kyivindependent.com/germany-blocks-sanctions-on-russian-gas/

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, rabas said:

Here's more 'clickbait' factual information. Russia's GDP has not grown over 10 years. Nor has its GNI which is based on PPP. [ GDPlink GNIlink ]

FYI, GDP always grows after recession, doesn't mean a bright future. Can you see Russia's recent recessions in red? Also, sudden GDP growth from a jump in weapons manufacture trashes Russia's civil economy.

image.png.7dda7787d74193cb462bfed4303ceeee.png

And here's the UK profile for the same period. Pretty much identical in trend.

Screenshot 2024-06-15 083532.jpg

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, rabas said:

Ukraine winning would be Russian withdrawal, fall of Putin and a more civil government in Russia (for the people), friendly relations between Ukraine and Russia focused on mutual growth and benefit, even some repair work.

Wait, that benefits Russia too!  And wow, some other leader than Putin could have started that 20 years ago. 

The problem is "and they all lived happily ever after" doesn't work with Russia - they never smile for a reason. Philip Larkin in another context summed it up well.

They feck you up, your mum and dad.   
    They may not mean to, but they do.   
They fill you with the faults they had
    And add some extra, just for you.

But they were fecked up in their turn
    By fools in old-style hats and coats,   
Who half the time were soppy-stern
    And half at one another’s throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
    It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
    And don’t have any kids yourself.

• Confused 2

19 minutes ago, rabas said:

No, it's not. Only Russia had a recession in 2022, which is relevant to Russia's war. The 2020 recession was Covid. (image from your post)

image.png.a1e14a8a062d4d3f4ad18460ea6aa290.png

I'm no data wonk so I'll defer to your more eagle eye. The substantive point which I think you were making is that the Russian economy will fail and along with it's war economy and its ability to continue to wage this war. So along with your moral objection to Russian expansionism and abhorent behaviours, which I share, you believe that Ukraine will triumph on both the battlefield and Russia will lose firstly in its ability to wage war and then the war itself. I've posted numerous authoritative articles on this thread that the collapse of the Russian economy is just wishful thinking and other factors have come into play that have taken up the slack.

I get the existential argument from the west that they can't afford to lose this war reputationally but then neither can Russia. It's a stalemate in which only further destruction can happen for probably the same end result in the end. Russia “winning".

Knowing what I know now if I was a Ukrainian aged 18-60 living in Ukraine I would be looking for a way to get out of the country as have many hundreds of thousands already and why enforced conscription is proving so problematic. Sending fresh meat to the front lines with barely any training and weapons is criminal in itself and why I don't cheer for something I wouldn't do myself.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

In any case most likely the main thing fascist dictator Putin is waiting for is the US election  Obviously if Trumo wins its a huge boost to him and vice versa.

Yeah, the only reason Putin invaded Ukraine was because his puppet Trump was President…wait…

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1