movie search

3 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Are there any cites where you can type in movies you like and get movie recommendations that would match?

You could look at the actors and check in which other movies they played.

Not perfect, but a start. 

Posted (edited)

Search Google for top 100 action, crime, comedy, romance, sci fi, horror etc, whatever your bag is, doesn't get any easier than that. Or ask Google for similar movies to......

Edited by giddyup

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

Search Google for top 100 action, crime, comedy, romance, sci fi, horror etc, whatever your bag is, doesn't get any easier than that. Or ask Google for similar movies to......

that won't work - I am looking for something that matches my choices - people who like the same choices also liked... etc etc... 

1 hour ago, 1FinickyOne said:

that won't work - I am looking for something that matches my choices - people who like the same choices also liked... etc etc... 

Well, that's your search criteria right there.

yes, trakt.tv will do that for you.

I have it sync'd to my media server, so if I download and watch something at home, it adds the tv / movie to my profile and suggests movies.

I also use a thing called mdblist.com which I think syncs with trakt, this sends instructions to my media server to download video, I have it set to download the top 10 on Netflix or amazon. You can set up mdblist and use it manually - or maybe just get an rss feed from it.

• 4 weeks later...

One of my services does that.  Maybe Apple TV+ or Amazon Prime.  I can’t remember off the top of my head.  I watch something and then it suggests a bunch of other movies I might like.  

16 hours ago, jas007 said:

One of my services does that.  Maybe Apple TV+ or Amazon Prime.  I can’t remember off the top of my head.  I watch something and then it suggests a bunch of other movies I might like.  

yes, that is exactly what I want - suggestions based on movies I like... 

6 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

6 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I just checked Amazon Prime and Apple TV+.  They both do that.

On the Amazon site, they’ll list some suggestions in both the movie section and the TV section.  There will be a row of suggested titles in a “because you watched” category.  So, for example, if you watched the Deadwood series, it’ll suggest some other series you might like.

Apple TV does almost the same thing.  Of course, you can always bookmark movies as you’re scrolling through and come back to them later.

I think you can sign up for Amazon Prime for free.  Apple TV plus has a monthly charge, but there’s a version you don’t have to pay for.  Just pay for whatever movies you want to rent or buy. Anything you buy is saved in your “library.”

Here’s another thing to try.  I just tried asking Chat GPT 4o

I asked it what movies I might like if I like Pulp Fiction.  Here’s the response:

If you enjoyed “Pulp Fiction,” you might appreciate other films that share similar elements such as non-linear storytelling, dark humor, memorable characters, and a mix of crime and drama. Here are some recommendations:

Directed by Quentin Tarantino:

1. Reservoir Dogs (1992) - A gritty crime thriller that focuses on the aftermath of a botched heist.

2. Kill Bill: Vol. 1 (2003) & Vol. 2 (2004) - A revenge saga filled with stylized action and Tarantino’s signature dialogue.

3. Jackie Brown (1997) - A crime drama with a more mature and nuanced story, featuring a fantastic ensemble cast.

4. Inglourious Basterds (2009) - A World War II film with a twist, blending historical fiction with Tarantino’s unique style.

5. Django Unchained (2012) - A Western with a strong narrative and memorable performances.

Similar Style and Themes:

1. Snatch (2000) - Directed by Guy Ritchie, this film features an ensemble cast and intertwining stories within the London criminal underworld.

2. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998) - Another Guy Ritchie film, known for its witty dialogue and complex plot.

3. Fight Club (1999) - Directed by David Fincher, this film explores themes of identity and societal norms with a dark, satirical tone.

4. The Usual Suspects (1995) - A crime thriller with a non-linear narrative and a famous plot twist.

5. Seven (1995) - Another David Fincher film, this psychological thriller delves into the minds of a serial killer and the detectives hunting him.

Neo-Noir and Crime Dramas:

1. L.A. Confidential (1997) - A neo-noir film that explores corruption and crime in 1950s Los Angeles.

2. Goodfellas (1990) - Directed by Martin Scorsese, this film offers a gritty look at the rise and fall of a mob associate.

3. The Departed (2006) - Another Scorsese classic, this film involves undercover operatives in the Boston crime scene.

4. Heat (1995) - Directed by Michael Mann, this film features intense action sequences and a deep dive into the lives of cops and robbers.

Dark Comedies:

1. The Big Lebowski (1998) - Directed by the Coen Brothers, this cult classic features quirky characters and an offbeat story.

2. In Bruges (2008) - A dark comedy-drama about two hitmen hiding out in Belgium, with a mix of humor and violence.

3. American Psycho (2000) - A satirical take on the 1980s yuppie culture with a chilling performance by Christian Bale.

Non-Linear Storytelling:

1. Memento (2000) - Directed by Christopher Nolan, this film uses a reverse narrative to tell a gripping story about memory and revenge.

2. 21 Grams (2003) - Directed by Alejandro González Iñárritu, this film weaves together the lives of three characters after a tragic accident.

These films should provide a mix of the elements you enjoyed in “Pulp Fiction” while offering new and unique cinematic experiences.

Edited by jas007
  • Like 1