Man fatally stabs friend to death over 20 baht in Chon Buri

webfact

image.jpeg

A Thai man fatally stabbed his friend in Chon Buri after he refused to lend 20 baht. The tragic incident occurred earlier today, with police receiving a report of a stabbing at 12.30am in Mueang District.

Upon arrival, officers found 43 year old Nirun critically injured with a stab wound to his left collarbone. Despite immediate CPR efforts, he was pronounced dead in the rescue vehicle.

The suspect, 45 year old Sarawut later confessed to the crime, citing anger and repeated humiliation as his motives.

Police inspected the scene at the house of the victim’s relative, 46 year old Rattana. Evidence of a struggle amid the altercation was clear as bloodstains were found inside the residence.

According to Rattana, the conflict began when Sarawut, a close friend of the victim, arrived and asked Nirun for 20 baht. Nirun’s refusal, accompanied by questions regarding the reasoning for the money enraged Sarawut.

A physical altercation ensued, during which Sarawut, unable to overpower Nirun, instead drew a knife and stabbed him once before fleeing towards the end of the alley.

Sarawut revealed his motives during questioning, citing his previous grievances stemming from Nirun’s habit of belittling him and sharing stories of him begging for money with others.

This compounded with Nirun’s refusal to lend him 20 baht, ultimately sparking the fatal confrontation.

Following the attack, officers managed to apprehend Sarawut near the New Market in Makham Yong, approximately 5 kilometres from the crime scene.

The police have detained Sarawut and charged him with murder. Further investigations are underway to uncover additional details and motives behind the incident, reported Khaosod.

by Nattapong Westwood

Image courtesy of Khaosod

Source: The Thaiger 2024-05-28

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1
  • Sad 6

4 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Thailand is safer than my (insert country)

Afghanistan, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Mali and a few other dictatorship countries but still up there.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

In rural Thailand almost everyone has bush knives ( machetes ), in cars on bikes or on their person, everywhere they go.

It's staggering how many stories there has been like this lately tho.

That's true, and having them in their pickups is also normal, but carrying them around isn't. There isn't any reason to carry a weapon here, as others seem to think because this is a safe country, unlike my homeland the US, where people carry guns everywhere. Sarcasm of course, because crime here is a lot higher than most realize.

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Lived in UK fifty-two years and nothing.

Lived in Thailand 15 years and some nutter deliberately ran me down in his pickup.

Petty crime Vs murderous savages.

Which to choose?

I guess not having to worry about trivial crime is nice, until you encounter a Thai with a bad temper and a machete.

Then go to Singapore 

Edited by Jone500
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

I've never heard of so many people carrying knives or machetes, and sticks before I came here. Of course carrying a knife before you go see someone looks like pre-meditated murder, but so many carry weapons here it seems it's looked at as normal. The lack of concern and non respect of life itself is yet another reason I don't want my daughter growing up here. We see this daily, and probably are not seeing but a pinprick of what happens countrywide daily here. Most everywhere I go, I see women carrying sticks to keep their kids in line, which is abuse but seems it's another thing that's looked at as normal, because it's been the discipline method for generations. I only wish for the generations of children to come here, that people are taught that this is wrong behavior and there are better ways to discipline and react to confrontations.

Many taxi drivers armed 

21 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Lived in UK fifty-two years and nothing.

Lived in Thailand 15 years and some nutter deliberately ran me down in his pickup.

Petty crime Vs murderous savages.

Which to choose?

I guess not having to worry about trivial crime is nice, until you encounter a Thai with a bad temper and a machete.

Did you recover from all the injuries yet?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

Afghanistan, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Mali and a few other dictatorship countries but still up there.

France, Sweden, Norway and England

Edited by Jone500
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Jone500 said:

Many taxi drivers armed 

I have nothing against people arming themselves to repel predators. Arming yourself with the intent to maim or kill someone you're pissed off at isn't the same. Neither is arming yourself because you're too cowardly to fight fairly.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I have nothing against people arming themselves to repel predators. Arming yourself with the intent to maim or kill someone you're pissed off at isn't the same. Neither is arming yourself because you're too cowardly to fight fairly.

Mate, you have to walk somewhere in London randomly. I just want to know what the chances are that you might get stabbed without realizing it

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Thinking the same, but in the UK the guiding principle is that you are no allowed to carry anything that might cause injury to your attacker......go figure....555

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, PJ71 said:

In rural Thailand almost everyone has bush knives ( machetes ), in cars on bikes or on their person, everywhere they go.

can also confirm all the tuk tuk drivers in CM as ive had a few arguments with them and they have brandished those machetes...the one guy tapped it against the metal bar....i recall that sound well......ting ting ting....

• Like 1

and here we are again......yet another story this week about a senseless death over a petty senseless argument..

so when his friends and family speak of him in the future they will always say.....20 baht......life is indeed cheap in the LOS 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, PJ71 said:

Aren't those machetes mainly used  for work in the fields and forests and not as weapons ?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

Thinking the same, but in the UK the guiding principle is that you are no allowed to carry anything that might cause injury to your attacker......go figure....555

Or you cannot carry weapons that could injure another person .

The rule is for everyone , 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ronster said:

Think that equals the lowest amount I have seen people killed over . 🫤

Well there was the US manager of a large earthmoving machine  company who complained to the BKK taxi 
driver his trip meter was on speed dial and was murdered . The Police estimate was that even if it was 
true the excess was  less than ten baht . 

• Like 1