My Girlfriend Fell for the Land Scam

28 minutes ago, Chris Daley said:

Ever since I met her 8 years ago she has said she owns land in Chiang Mai.  I thought this is so amusing I never talked about it much.  She paid rent for the land for years and finally set up a date to go and see it.  We booked flight tickets and the day before the owner cancelled the trip.  I am rolling on the floor with laughter but I have conform to society so I say ''Oh no.. really?!!!  I feel sad.''

The owner then wants to meet at a nearby shopping mall.  When they meet the owner has the audacity to say there is no land.  She says she is sorry and she will pay us back month by month.  We haven't had a single payment. 

We have paid for her lifestyle for the past decade and she just says there is no land but she will pay us back.  Amazing.

How about you?  Do you pay for land hundreds of miles away that you have never seen?

She has an agreement presumably? then go to the police she would of scammed others, lies built on lies

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Celsius said:

My wife was playing the share money crap where one Thai person (in this case her friend) puts money in a high savings interest account (in this case it was a bank in United States) and everyone pitches in every month a certain sum for supposedly higher interest.

sounds pretty much like a pyramid scheme. they always implode at some point

everyone i know who was in one could never explain it to me either... they just said that new members were needed and that eventually it would be their turn to cash out...

Edited by Pouatchee

1 hour ago, gargamon said:

So let's assume you were giving her an allowance and some of that was being sent to pay for the non-existent land. Who's the fool in that scenario?

Legend says OP can still hear, "Tee rak... I need more allowance for my land."

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Chris Daley said:

How about you?  Do you pay for land hundreds of miles away that you have never seen?

why is she paying rent on land she's never seen?  Why would anyone ever buy land the haven't seen?

Funny actually some relative of my wife bought land in Chiang Mai too which he never saw first. When he went to finally see it they discovered it was a bog and didn't have any access so basically a scam. This explains why there's so much over priced land all over Chiang Mai though.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

She paid rent for the land for years

Poor scammers, no more money. 

They're monthly rental scam money has now stopped. 

Is it possible that your girlfriend was in on this scam, did she report this to the police? 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Confused 1

reminds me of some of our members who pay a thai gal cash every month thinking she loves you..joop joop teerak!

like a crypto cash scam and then they pull the rug on you......dont forget about the sick buffalo!

some told me i should write a book about living in LOS for 15 yrs..the title??? Welcome to the Hustle"....seems apt

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

I wouldn't pay for anything I didn't see and had checked out with the appropriate authorities

does she eve have receipts????    a money trail of payment?.....as PT Barnum says theres one born every minute

Did she also send King Baby money to build his scam wall???

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

37 minutes ago, sungod said:

What he describes is fantasy

I guess he might mix up some words like paying rent and regular payments to buy something.

For some of us English language difficult language. 😉 

40 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:
48 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

sounds pretty much like a pyramid scheme. they always implode at some point

it's even stupider than that. They were literally just giving money to some women for nothing. Literally nothing, no land, no contract, no nothing. Imagine some women calls you one day and says pay me 10,000k/month for 10 years and you get some land and you agree and start sending money. That's basically what happened here it sounds like.

my comment about the pyramid scheme was based on @Celsius comment about his wife... quoted here under. i did not say the op was in a pyramid scheme but his wife's case is as you described... money for nothing

2 hours ago, Celsius said:

My wife was playing the share money crap where one Thai person (in this case her friend) puts money in a high savings interest account (in this case it was a bank in United States) and everyone pitches in every month a certain sum for supposedly higher interest.

Why was she even renting land with nothing on it   ?   this doesn't make sense.  

The whole story is difficult to understand .....   how can she own land in Chang Mai if she's only renting it ?  

Was she supposedly buying the land of a Thai and he was collecting payments from her for the last decade ( not rent )  ?

And the guy who received payments has disappeared ? 

Yet she say's she will pay you back every cent but until now has payed back zero baht.  ?   

Sounds like she was in on the scam with the Thai guy and they scammed you unfortunately.   

• Confused 2